Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

I don't want Phil Thomson anywhere near Aston Villa Football Club.

He as on numerous occasions shown contempt for Aston Villa during his media work. Only a couple of weeks ago when discussing Aston Villa on Soccer Saturday he said in a very condescending tone something a long the lines of " this is Aston Villa we are talking about they over achieved under Martin O'Neill and they need to remember that ". Continually emphasising this is Aston Villa we are talking about like a little club like Villa should be grateful to finish in the top 6.

As for him quitting Sky will show he'll be committed to us how the **** does that work? Thomson would be lucky if he is on anymore than a few hundred pound a week for the little work he does for Sky. The primary reason for him coming to Villa will be money. I don't have a problem with that but lets not make out the prick is doing us a favour.

Ludicrous stuff here.

It is not our right to finish 6th by any means. There are 8 clubs, including us now since Randy arrived, he was merely stating that the fans can not take this stuff for granted which evidently is what is happening. And even if he is not a Villa lover do you really think he would not try as hard? Do you think he would sabotage us from the inside?

He is a professional, and since he had a successful playing career this is proved. So he will do his job.

Sky pay good money. He wants to be more involved in the game though and this is a great chance to get back into it with a man that he had previous success with.

I expect that was the same reason that Clough moved to Leeds, just to undermine the club and make himself look a bit of a plank. How about we imitate some of the Leeds fans then and have Martin O'Neil banners made for when Houllier and Thompson takes charge, that'll show em for trying to sink our club from within, those anti-villa bastards! :yawn:

I can't believe the enmity towards Thompson and Houllier on here, isn't it fairly natural to disagree with pundits, to consider their remarks disingenuous, naive or biased? I can't think of many pundits i agree with 100% of the time, in fact many i can't even stand the sound of, but thompson wouldn't be coming here as a pundit whose going to be paid to made derogatory or contraversial remarks about the club or players, he'd be a bloody coach of assistant manager! As for houllier he's been out of England for a while but who was the last manager who won 3 trophies in a year with Liverpool?

If they do take over then the very best to them and i'll support their villa team as passionately as i'd support any other managers.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the poll on another Villa Forum is anything to go by Houllier could start off with a supporter approval rating of less than 50%.

A bad start and this could turn ugly very quickly. There will be no honeymoon period.

Heres hoping we get off to a flyer or his reign will be very short lived.

Mark were you not one of MON's avid supporters regardless of what he did saying lets see what happens and trusted him no end etc etc?

Now i think Houllier is meh and Thompson is a blumin plonker.

But surely there is no point kicking off until we are bottom half of the table come May?

Defensive minded GH who helped oversee France's National side, and 'know it all' scouse prick PT...

Who are these experts that the Villa heirachy have been talking to to in order to get the best possible team to move us forward??

Its laughable!

IF this appointment is what the board of Aston Villa have decided, then I will place my firm support behind their choice. It has obviously been made with a great deal of thought and it has been done by consulting with various skilled and experienced authorities within the game on a number of levels.

I was extremely disappointed when MON left, it was unexpected and the timing was devastating. It was very clear that because of the poor timing, the "shortlist" of possible replacements would be short indeed. It has become clear that the owners of our club did not want to poach another clubs manager, but did try within the boundaries of decency and without using unethical means to attract other currently working managers (Moyes' contracted club was approached but they rejected that approach firmly as far as we are aware, and the Martin Jol situation was really quite clear and we had little hope from the beginning as far as that was concerned.) I, personally, am happy with this approach, I want my club to be conducting itself with dignity and treating other clubs and their staff with respect.

I am certain, and have been given no reason to suspect otherwise, that our club has searched and examined many candidates from far and wide. It has become clear that many candidates that were mooted here were either unsuitable when measured up to our expectations and aspirations, they had neither the experience or stature (Curbs?, Brown? KMac?) . On the other hand, it may well be that some candidates had their own expectations or demands that were not in keeping with our LIMITATIONS and a realistic business vision, given the particular circumstances of this current financial climate. (Sven??)

I really don't see how we can be certain with regard to how the club viewed any possible candidates until or unless the club decided to share their philosophy or methods with us, but to be frank, I rather suspect that information will never be forthcoming. Neither is there much point in debating who might or might not have had a chance to interview. (or for that matter who might never have been given a chance...) Of one thing we can be certain, the process has been challenging and not without some frustration.

The club has chosen a man with a great deal of experience in other leagues as well as our own, an international recognised profile and reputation, he has won titles and cups at a very high level, he could easily be placed in the same bracket as our former manager when his experience and success are considered, and it is arguable that his resume is actually considerably more impressive than that of the enigmatic MON. Yes, the choice might have been Klinsman, it may have been Hiddinck, but it may have also been Curbs or Bradley. I believe we've done well, even landed on our feet, if you like. If the prospective candidate has men he knows within the job that he would like to have as assistants, then he is more than welcome to bring them in as far as I'm concerned, whether they at one time wore the redscouse shirt or not. I would hope that the staff in charge of the team I support would have a professional attitude and conduct their affairs without childish partisanship getting in the way, as is the case, for example, with our own Ashley Young, who is of course not a boyhood Villa fan but a gunner, after all.

Welcome, Mr Houllier, as it would appear your arrival is imminent, I will trust the clubs decision, not only because

a) I have little choice

but also because

B) I have been given NO REASON not to.

Up The Villa!!!!!!!!

That, my friend, is a perfect post. Couldn't agree more.

Absolutely perfect.

(Actually, if I'm being picky, I might have lost the exclamation marks at the very end – as F. Scott Fitzgerald noted, the use of said marks is a little like laughing at one's own jokes...)

As someone who has always sung 'Sit down Pinoccio' whenever Phil Thompson has graced Villa Park with his 'spitting scouse' platitudes, I am not likely to give him a clap. However, if the manager is Gerard 'Fish Eyes' Houllier, then I will give him warm applause when he walks out at the start of his first home match.

Believe me, I won't be overjoyed, but he will get my backing. At least at first.

Not sure if this has been posted...

Gérard Houllier appointment held up by hitch over Aston Villa caretaker Kevin MacDonald

The announcement of Gérard Houllier as Aston Villa’s new manager, which was expected on Monday, has been delayed by complications involving the future role of caretaker manager Kevin MacDonald.

By Sandy Macaskill

Published: 3:23PM BST 06 Sep 2010

It had been thought that the hold-up was due to Houllier’s desire to ensure that his wife Isabelle was comfortable with his return to front-line management because of his history of heart problems. But Telegraph Sport can reveal that the wait has actually been caused by indecision over the Frenchman’s assistant.

Villa were hopeful, when Houllier agreed to succeed Martin O’Neill over the weekend, that reserve team manager MacDonald, who has taken control of first-team affairs over the past four weeks, would accept a key coaching position on Houllier’s staff.

It is apparent that the former Liverpool manager, at 63, is no longer suited to a life on the training pitches. Instead, the club envisage his role as more of a figurehead with extensive contacts and experience, theoretically leaving MacDonald to conduct the day-to-day training.

Yet it has emerged that Houllier is keen to appoint former Liverpool assistant Phil Thompson as his second in command, which would encroach on MacDonald’s authority on the training pitch.

It is a particularly sensitive matter for, as revealed by Telegraph Sport last week, MacDonald was left disappointed after the board failed to contact him the day after his interview, despite having raised his hopes by encouraging him to apply for the vacancy — and indeed confirming publicly that he had done so.

Though Randy Lerner, the club’s owner, is known to appreciate the work MacDonald has put in since filling the breach on O’Neill’s departure, the American decided that the 49 year-old did not have the global profile required for the role. Instead, Villa have been trying to convince MacDonald that his skills are on the training ground, rather than in the meeting-room.

It is crucial that they do not alienate the Scotsman. After all, the club have already been rocked by the sudden departures of O’Neill and assistants John Robertson, Steve Walford and chief scout Ian Storey-Moore five days before the start of the season, and it would be hugely unsettling if MacDonald, who enjoys the support and respect of the first-team players, is not kept onside.

Meanwhile, Telegraph Sport understands that in addition to asking the advice of a number of personalities within the game, such as former England manager Graham Taylor, the board have been assisted by the Trezona Group, a sports headhunting firm based in Pall Mall. The group declined to comment when contacted on Monday.

Clicky

I've just been swimming through the mire of Liverpools RAWK site to see what they feel about all of this, it makes for interesting reading:

http://tinyurl.com/2v8c4qr

please remember to wear appropriate hazmat gear though before entering.

kind of a mixed bag, he apparently said something nasty about FSW and some (referred to occasionally as the Rafacult) have never been able to forgive him, lots of compliments though, thanks for the memories, cup finals and good times, as well as some who are expressing slight concern about us under him. lots said he wasn't the same after his heart troubles (understandably really considering) but that he dragged the club into the new millennium and gave them discipline, and brought a level of success that 'Pool hadn't seen in yonks,

I am a supporter of Aston Villa Football Club. I was here before Houllier and Thompson and I will be here a long time after. I have seen countless players come and go and a fair few managers, assistant managers and coaches come and go too.

While they are here and are doing a job for my Football Club they will get my support, until such time that I lose respect for what they are doing.

Noboby on this board as far as I am aware has access to a machine that can see into the future. So therefore nobody can possibly know what will happen with Houllier and Thompson at the helm.

So lets get our heads out of the clouds and accept that the powers that be have done the best they can to secure a new management team that they feel can be a success at Aston Villa.

Lets get behind them and give them as much support we can to make sure they are a success, something surely we would all like to see

Phil Thompson is a bit of a dick and some of his quotes regarding Villa are a bit far fetched, but if he's going to be the number 2 on Houllier's recommendations I've got no problem with that. I reckon a fair few ex-Liverpool coaches will head this way. So what?
Not just coaches a few more players will def be making the trip down to if you ask me. Maybe Steve G and Carragher for there final yr in football. I would love Saunders as a assistant to Houllier. He knows the club too and has plenty of experience too and with Toshack leaving Wales soon could be available(for might be next in line for the Welch job).

It's hard to shake the notion that he (Stan) had wanted out since around 94/95 though, was desperate to get back to the Redscouse and only returned to us when he was a busted flush

Sigh, Do I have to repeat what I wrote a few pages back about Staunton ringing Ron Toss live on air to say that he wanted to stay at Villa but Doug **** him about to the poiunt where plop offered him the deal he wanted which he agreed to, only for Doug to then offer MORE money than either Dougs original offer OR plops offer, to which Stan said that he had made an agreement with plop and it was unprofessional to go back on it.

He said that he was settled in the Midlands, that his family was settled, but that Doug messed him around so much over a new contract. I heard this with my own ears!

No chap, you don't. But you did anyway.

Truth be told I don't care what kind of spin Stan tried to put on it when -or after- he left. His leaving was on the cards since at least 94 -and possibly further back. We thought we had lost him in the summer of 94 and a number of senior Villa players even commented on it at the time. He played us off against the Redscouse a fair few times to get an improved offer and according to JG's book had made his mind up before JG had returned in Feb 98. He even said he was specifically off to join the Redscouse to win things - no mention of broken promises. Had he agreed the deal we had offered him at the time he would have been the highest paid player at the club -unusual for a defender- so I'm not sure how much finance came into it.

He was one of the very first high profile Bosman's, exploiting the system to make it work for him. So attempts to paint him as some loyal club servant only leaving when the club let him down won't wash I'm afraid.

I don't actually blame him for leaving truth be told. Not due to lack of ambition or anything like that on our part, we had a pretty decent squad at the time. Rather the pull of returning to his boyhood club proved too much in the end. He had started there as a youth, and his mother is originally from Merseyside IIRC.

My point was that there is probably a perception out there that he is a popular ex Villa player. That doesn't tally with the reality. You rarely hear Villa fans talking about Stan as a 'Villa legend' (chronically overused term) for example. Which is unusual bearing in mind the longevity he had with us in two stints.

It is a particularly sensitive matter for, as revealed by Telegraph Sport last week, MacDonald was left disappointed after the board failed to contact him the day after his interview, despite having raised his hopes by encouraging him to apply for the vacancy — and indeed confirming publicly that he had done so.

That, if true, is a disgrace and my opinion of the board would go down hugely.

I'm beginning to feel that the board have treated K Mac quite poorly in this (although he didn't help hiumself with his dithering). It's like they lead him up the garden path. I hope they can get him a first team role within the new set up and him not walking away.

That, if true, is a disgrace and my opinion of the board would go down hugely.

This worries me also, if this is true I will be very disappointed by the boards actions.

If you dont want him dont encourage him to apply and then put it all over the clubs website.

The keyboard warriors live on, going from strength to strength, their conviction grows with every word they type!
I'm afraid that you're right. There is a definite increase in posting for effect and an increasing number of posters get a kick out of being confrontational.

I can only assume that having tasted blood with the current demise of General Krulak that things may get worse before they get better. Still VillaTalk has survived crass behaviour in the past and I guess that they will get bored eventually.

Back on topic GH would not have been in my top three, but If he's appointed he has my full support. One thing's for sure Phil Thompson's language will warm up Bodymoor Heath this winter if he joins GH, PT is

passionate about his football.