Barry Bannan

villianusa

I'd play

------jenas---petrov-----

zog-----bannan----gabby

----------bent-------------

Think Gabby has looked most likely to provide a goal threat myself.

yeah i reckon even...

------delph---petrov-----

bannan---ireland---gabby

----------bent-------------

isn't bad either, deffo think we would benefit from 4-2-3-1, we've got the personnel to play it a few diff ways. we have a good screen for the back 4, and if one fo the 2 in front of the back 4 comes forward we attack with numbers too...

As long as we can get our full backs overlapping then definitely.

That's the big concern though, isn't it? Do we have enough faith in Warnock and Hutton to give them that much licence going forward without leaving us too exposed at the back? I'm fairly confident the dynamism is there (and with Warnock certainly there's some history of him providing a useful offensive outlet) but we've seen occasions where both players (granted, Hutton still has the somewhat maligned 'bedding in/lacking match-practice' caveat) have been caught out of position in more conservative setups. I feel it's certainly worth a shot, though:

__________________Given

Hutton______Collins___..___Dunne______Warnock

_.__________.__________________________

______________.___Petrov

_________Bannan______Jenas/Ireland

_________.↑._________

________._____.___Heskey

__________Bent____..___Agbonlahor

Something like that.

Yeah definitely, it'd certainly mean Jenas probably moving more alongside Petrov though to cover the areas of a counter attack.

It also requires us to keep the ball in areas of the pitch so we allow Warnock and Hutton to get into the game and as you say, not be caught out of position because Hutton has raced 50 yards to get forward on an overlap only for us to give the ball away within 5 seconds and be completely out of position.

We did it fairly well vs QPR second half, just need to carry that into Wigan game.

Not sure when Jenas became such a good player??

I haven't seen anything from him over the past 5 years to suggest he is going to be the answer to our problems or should come in to our first XI.

I hope that I am wrong because we could do with some extra energy.

I would probably go:

---------------- Clark ----------------

----------------------- Delph --------

-------- SI/Zog ----------------------

Bannan ---------------------- Gabby

----------------- Bent ----------------

Clark would give us the extra aerial power that we miss without Heskey.

Was fantastic today I thought.. also got an assist too.

Yeah he was. Him and Gabby easily our best players. He suffered a bit when Ireland went off and he got pushed further out right.

He is much better tucked in a little bit, pulling strings around the middle of the park.

He has one great eye for a pass.

Was fantastic today I thought.. also got an assist too.

Well, kind of. Gabby had a hell of a lot of work to do and boy did he do it well. Fantastic little pass though regardless.

He's a great player is wee Barry. I was on the fence early on in his career but I'm right behind him now. Such vision and technical ability are rare in any player it's just hard to harness. McLeish is doing a great job with him so far.

Paul Scholes? A bit over the top. The chances of him being one of the best in the world are very slim. But he could be our Paul Scholes. Fingers crossed.

I think he is the one player we have who is on the same wavelength as Stephen Ireland and therefore makes him look a far better player too. He played very well today although Hutton was very isolated at times but I think this is a problem with the formation rather than Bannan. He needs to influence the game in a central position and therefore drifts into the middle leaving Hutton on his own defending, this will cause problems in tougher games. We passed the ball much better today than I have seen all season due to him and Ireland playing in my opinion.

Outside Wenger, I don't see many managers playing kids. The problem is that kids lack experience and require development - something that can be a difficult job for a manager when he is judged purely on results.

Are you Alan Hansen?

Look at Fergie's signings - Jones and De Gea - his bringing through of the de Silva brothers, Cleverly, Wellbeck, Hernandes, Smalling the year before. A fair spattering of youth there?

Jones and De Gea were hardly big risks though. Jones was tearing it up for Blackburn and De Gea was rated as one of the best keeping prosects in Europe and had 60-odd first team appearances for Athletico Madrid! Hernandes and Smalling were already good players. One was a Mexican international scoring shit loads of goals, the other was an England U21 international, Ferguson didn't 'bring them through'. Cleverly and Wellbeck spent years out on loan at premier league clubs. This Ferguson developing players is a myth. No-one gets near the first team until they're ready. They pretty much always have to prove themselves somewhere else. The Da Silva brothers are the only ones you've posted who haven't been sent out on loan or bought in with experience, and to be fair, they can't get near the first team. Between them, they've got 1 first team appearance so far this season.

Outside Wenger, I don't see many managers playing kids. The problem is that kids lack experience and require development - something that can be a difficult job for a manager when he is judged purely on results.

Are you Alan Hansen?

Look at Fergie's signings - Jones and De Gea - his bringing through of the de Silva brothers, Cleverly, Wellbeck, Hernandes, Smalling the year before. A fair spattering of youth there?

Jones and De Gea were hardly big risks though. Jones was tearing it up for Blackburn and De Gea was rated as one of the best keeping prosects in Europe and had 60-odd first team appearances for Athletico Madrid! Hernandes and Smalling were already good players. One was a Mexican international scoring shit loads of goals, the other was an England U21 international, Ferguson didn't 'bring them through'. Cleverly and Wellbeck spent years out on loan at premier league clubs. This Ferguson developing players is a myth. No-one gets near the first team until they're ready. They pretty much always have to prove themselves somewhere else. The Da Silva brothers are the only ones you've posted who haven't been sent out on loan or bought in with experience, and to be fair, they can't get near the first team. Between them, they've got 1 first team appearance so far this season.

You are so ignorant it hurts! That is how you "bring them through" though, in modern football. The difference between Fergie and Wenger is that the latter has not won anything since 2005/2006 - and we all know how Fergie did in the meantime! Also, Rafael da Silva is a sure thing in the first-XI when he is fit. "They pretty much has to prove themselves somewhere else" you say? Well, do you think playing a few matches for Wigan counts as doing that? What about this season when Welbeck played the first three league games ahead of Berbatov to check on him?

Fergie developing players is a myth? If you say breeding in 12 year olds in to the squad you are correct, but when has that ever worked? Wenger has failed doing it, miserably, as any fan of Arsenal would be so kind to agree with. They were the best team, they played the best football (which nowadays is a myth!), they had the most exciting players and then Wenger changed his politics. Not a trophy since and not even close to winning the league once. The only team able to do it is Barcelona, and we all know they spend millions on it each year at La Masia.

I love Bannan. He is still young and when he becomes more experienced and develops his understanding of the game more he will be one of the best players in the league I reckon. My main worry about Bazza is that he is going to be poached by another club. If he is that will hurt a shit load more then Milner, Barry, Young, Downing n etc...

Getting stronger with each game and starts to dictate the pace that we play at. Delivery from set pieces is tremendous. There is still the odd tendancy to look for that killer ball every time, but that comes with experience (may also be him thinking he has to do something special to keep his place). Works hard and tracks back as well. Seems to be very well liked by the players especially the ones who have come through the ranks.

Needs to play centrally and not out on the right, not sure whether this was an individual choice or how the team was set up, but there was a lot of space on Wigan's left yesterday.

Are you Alan Hansen?

You are so ignorant it hurts! That is how you "bring them through" though, in modern football. The difference between Fergie and Wenger is that the latter has not won anything since 2005/2006 - and we all know how Fergie did in the meantime! Also, Rafael da Silva is a sure thing in the first-XI when he is fit. "They pretty much has to prove themselves somewhere else" you say? Well, do you think playing a few matches for Wigan counts as doing that? What about this season when Welbeck played the first three league games ahead of Berbatov to check on him?

Fergie developing players is a myth? If you say breeding in 12 year olds in to the squad you are correct, but when has that ever worked? Wenger has failed doing it, miserably, as any fan of Arsenal would be so kind to agree with. They were the best team, they played the best football (which nowadays is a myth!), they had the most exciting players and then Wenger changed his politics. Not a trophy since and not even close to winning the league once. The only team able to do it is Barcelona, and we all know they spend millions on it each year at La Masia.

You can insult me all you want but you're missing the point. People are saying Bannan has to play in our first XI to develop. What I'm saying is that Ferguson doesn't do that. He ships them out to other teams and if they make the grade then he brings them back. If not he ships them out permanently. For every Danny Wellbeck, there's about 50 Jonathan Greenings and Ronny Wallworks.