Barry Bannan

villianusa

People may think this is going a bit OTT, especially at this early stage of his career. However, he seems to have a bit of Xavi about him. He is confortable on the ball and can pick a pass very well. Hopefully he can keep on developing and stay with us, as he really could be world class. Fingers crossed.

Can pass and shoot, but must never ever play on the wing. He just hasn't got a clue out there.

A luxury player and one we can't afford to carry at the moment. Sorry.

He will not be going to an English "big club". Maybe Celtic/ Rangers. Will not leave us for another Prem team.

He will be the next Paul Scholes IMO.

Real good player, who we will be very lucky to keep hold of.

Can pass and shoot, but must never ever play on the wing. He just hasn't got a clue out there.

A luxury player and one we can't afford to carry at the moment. Sorry.

He will not be going to an English "big club". Maybe Celtic/ Rangers. Will not leave us for another Prem team.

He will be the next Paul Scholes IMO.

Real good player, who we will be very lucky to keep hold of.

next paul scholes is right IMO too. we should play 4-2-3-1 with him in the middlw of the 3, zog and albrighton switching flanks around him and bent up top.

Does anybody have that Bannan quote that I had for my sig for a short while?

It was from his school coach, said at halftime in a match his team were losing badly, and went something like: "I'm the best in the class, the best in the school, the best in the team - and this game isn't over yet".

I've lost the damn thing.

We had the same conversations when he played against Fulham and United last year.

Realistically he's had one good 20-25 minutes spell and took a very cool penalty. If he's does this over 20-25 games, then we'll have a player. If he has a season similiar to last he'll be a Steven Davis.

Does anybody have that Bannan quote that I had for my sig for a short while?

It was from his school coach, said at halftime in a match his team were losing badly, and went something like: "I'm the best in the class, the best in the school, the best in the team - and this game isn't over yet".

I've lost the damn thing.

Here.

"I'm the best in my class, best in my school, the best ever and this game isn't finished yet"

I still think all he needs to do is calm down and think about what he's doing. Every time he gets the ball you're half-expecting the boy to ping some spectacular pass across the park, when more often than not the simple pass and move would be more effective. The beauty, of course, is that he can do just that.

Here.

"I'm the best in my class, best in my school, the best ever and this game isn't finished yet"
That article warrants more extensive quoting. The full context for his "I'm the best quote" is
"He came and played for our boys' club Under-11s and I remember going to watch him against East Kilbride Burgh.

"In this particular game we were losing 2-1 at half-time and Barry walked off the pitch crying.

"I asked him what was the matter and he said it was because we were losing. I told him it didn't matter but he said, 'it does matter, I don't get beaten, I am the best'.

Also, this made me laugh...
"Barry is the last of the tanner ba' players. This wee guy was brought up in the streets and every time you saw him he had a ball at his feet.

"He was a fixture on the streets of Coatdyke, every time I drove past he would be kicking his ball, doing tricks and the cars would toot their horns at him.

"A classic moment to sum him up was one day when he was a ball boy at Albion Rovers.

"The manager at the time was Peter Hetherston and I used to join him in the dugout so I always asked the kids which goal they would like to stand behind.

"But when I asked Barry he said he wanted to stand next to the dugout so I asked why. He said, 'because if it rains I'll get a seat'.

"If that's not streetwise then what is? He is as sharp as a tack."

He said: "He always kept a ball up at the side of the dugout and the punters at Cliftonhill were more concerned with looking at him than what was happening on the pitch.

"At half-time in one game I went into the boardroom and our chairman Davie Shanks asked me, 'who's the player?' I thought he meant the trialist and told Davie it was just someone the manager had brought in.

"But he said, 'no, I was meaning the wee blond guy next to the dugout - he's the best player out there'.

"We were playing Montrose and the ball fell behind the dugout and Barry fetched it by flicking it and keeping it up as the big Montrose player ran towards him but Barry just flicked it over the lad's head and the crowd went wild.

Go, Barry! (BTW, WTF is a "Tanner ba' player"?)

Bannan has a lot of potential, lets not slag him off and say he is no good. How many games has he started? Give him a run and he'll improve more and more. I'd rather he was playing in an attacking team mind, lethal.

And, if he leaves I hope he goes to play in Spain.

"We were playing Montrose and the ball fell behind the dugout and Barry fetched it by flicking it and keeping it up as the big Montrose player ran towards him but Barry just flicked it over the lad's head and the crowd went wild."

Please say there is footage of this somewhere?

tanner 'ba, would be a cheap football :)

250px-GeorgeVI_Sixpence_1946.jpg

Sixpence (British coin)

Value 0.025 GBP

Mass 2.8 g

Diameter 19 mm

Thickness approx. 1 mm

Composition

1816-1920 [92.5% Ag ] 1921-1946 [50% Ag ]

1947-1967 [ Cupronickel ]

Years of minting 1551–1970

The sixpence, known colloquially as the tanner, or half-shilling, was a British pre-decimal coin, worth six (pre-1971) pence, or 1/40th of a pound sterling.

In England, the first sixpences were struck in the reign of Edward VI in 1551 and continued until they were rendered obsolete by decimalisation in 1971. Along with the shilling (12 pence) and the florin (2 shillings), the last general issue sixpence was issued in 1967 and a special proof version struck for inclusion in the farewell proof set of 1970. However, sixpences, shillings and florins continued to be legal tender at values of 2½, 5 and 10 new pence respectively.

Sixpences were originally supposed to be demonetized upon decimalisation in 1971. However, they remained legal tender until 30 June 1980.

After the Great Recoinage of 1816, the mint coined each troy pound (weighing 5760 grains) of standard (0.925 fine) silver into 66 shillings, or its equivalent in other denominations. This effectively set the weight of the sixpence at 43.636 grains or 2.828 grams from 1816 until the last striking in 1970.

The silver content followed the pattern of other silver coins. They were sterling silver until 1920, when they were reduced to 50 percent silver. The last 50-percent-silver sixpence was minted in 1946; they were changed to cupro-nickel from 1947 onwards.

As the supply of silver threepence coins slowly disappeared, sixpences replaced them as the coins put into Christmas puddings; children would hope to be the lucky one to find the sixpence, no doubt also encouraging them to eat more pudding.

They have also been seen as a lucky charm for brides. There is an old rhyme which goes "Something old, something new / Something borrowed, something blue / And a sixpence for her (left) shoe."

They are also used as a good luck charm by Royal Air Force Aircrew who have them sewn behind their wings or brevets, a custom dating back to the Second World War.

In A Midsummer Night's Dream (Act 4, Scene 2), we learn that by his absence (ensorcelled in Titania's bower), Bottom the Weaver will forgo sixpence a day for life from the Duke. In Elizabethan times, the sixpence was roughly a day's wage for rustic labour in the provinces. With it, one might buy two dinners, six performances of Hamlet among the groundlings at the Globe Theatre, or an unbound copy of the play itself.

"I've Got Sixpence" a popular song (possibly based on a traditional or vaudeville version) was published in 1941, words and music by Elton Box & Desmond Cox.

I've got sixpence. Jolly, jolly sixpence.

I've got sixpence to last me all my life.

I've got twopence to spend and twopence to lend

And twopence to send home to my wife - poor wife.

The singer tells the tale of spending twopence (per verse) until he has "no-pence to send home to my wife - poor wife."

Brian May, guitarist from the British band Queen, uses a sixpence instead of a normal plectrum to play his guitar.

Wikipedia

:D

Impressed with this kid, both on and off the pitch.

Havent seen a player at VP look like he wants the ball as much as this lad. Works very very hard, and maybe tries to hard tbh, but think hel settle down with experience.

Particularly impressed with the way he stepped up to the plate for the peno, especially when Ferdinand got in his face. And I like the way he came out and apologised for Tuesday.

Already, becoming a big character and potentially one of most important players.

The scottish Iniesta????

Andres Iniesta = the spanish Barry bannan

Havent seen a player at VP look like he wants the ball as much as this lad. Works very very hard, and maybe tries to hard tbh, but think hel settle down with experience.

Particularly impressed with the way he stepped up to the plate for the peno, especially when Ferdinand got in his face. And I like the way he came out and apologised for Tuesday.

Already, becoming a big character and potentially one of most important players.

The scottish Iniesta????

Bigging up a youngster Tom?!

You've changed your tune :winkold:

The scottish Iniesta????

Bigging up a youngster Tom?!

You've changed your tune :winkold:

Haha

Feet firmly on the ground Rob! :D......

just don't get me started on Andreas Weimann :winkold: