The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

9 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Maybe. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the nature of the injury.  Furthermore, Smith mentioned it could be a complication related to the soleus muscle, which is located within posterior compartment of the leg. This would indicate that perhaps shin pads wouldn't have helped. However, more robust shine protection wouldn't have hindered this aggravation for sure. I'm sure I read that he wears his socks low, with subsequent small pads, due not being able to remove his socks post-game once. Personally I'd rather he's as comfortable and unrestricted as possible in game. Moreover, it's not unheard of players to wear socks low; see Muller, Totti, Hamsik etc.

Sounds like shin splints to me.....Andy cole had it.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Sounds like shin splints to me.....Andy cole had it.

I had terrible shin splints as a young lad, really painful. I was given corrective insoles to take some of the pain away and they made a huge difference. Had to get used to having a huge lump being pushed into the ball of my foot, but after a few weeks I hardly even noticed they were there. Hopefully whatever it is Jack has can be resolved fairly quickly.

29 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I had terrible shin splints as a young lad, really painful. I was given corrective insoles to take some of the pain away and they made a huge difference. Had to get used to having a huge lump being pushed into the ball of my foot, but after a few weeks I hardly even noticed they were there. Hopefully whatever it is Jack has can be resolved fairly quickly.

Sounds painful and horrible, I wish Grealish a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Sounds painful and horrible, I wish Grealish a speedy recovery.

I can’t imagine how it is for him. The pain in general was never too bad, but running for long periods used to leave me in terrible pain. I imagine he’s in bits after games.

Just now, GENTLEMAN said:

Seems so, but why haven’t they diagnosed as such?  Wasn’t Cole out for ages with it? 

yes.

I don't know why the diagnosis has not been confirmed.

24 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Seems to me that if we are trying to buy Sawyers, Jack is going to be out for a long time - or maybe worse!!

I think Sawyers would be a good addition anyway.....Jed and Whelan need to be moved on.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Sawyers would be a good addition anyway.....Jed and Whelan need to be moved on.

I agree with all of that but Sawyers plays more in the Grealish role than Jedi and Whelan. I would love Ampadu in their role!

Edited by pintpotvilla

7 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

I agree with all of that but Sawyers plays more in the Grealish role than Jedi and Whelan. I would love Ampadu in their role!

I was thinking more about wages than like for like positions.

Defence is the main one, but we need players all over.....I would like to see some different types come in.....too many the same is equally an issue.

I would like us to go for Bowen.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2018 at 05:52, TRO said:

Certain Players not competing and standing off in the physical battle.

Maybe I am on my own....but I think it is impacting in not getting wins....we have to be more robust defensively in our approach.

just one Example....Blues....No where near as good as us in the general sense, but sitting above us in the league at present.....ask yourself why?

I didn’t think you were right when you said that the main problem under Bruce was players not being up for the physical battle.  And I think you are wrong now, too. 

3 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I didn’t think you were right when you said that the main problem under Bruce was players not being up for the physical battle.  And I think you are wrong now, too. 

It depends on how you interpret it, or how I describe it.

I don't think we get close enough at times, under both managers....against Leeds and Stoke for decent periods they nullified our approach and closed us down, even at 2-0  up against Leeds, we looked unconvincing,against Albion, Rodriguez bullied that goal over the line.

but I am happy, you don't agree.

19 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

For periods in the game, I still stand by it.....one of the reasons Blues are doing well...they are robust.

It doesn't mean ALL our players or ALL of the time....but at times I think we are lacking in that area of the game, just McGinn doing it, not enough.

Edited by TRO

My cousin was in the Villa youth team, he suffered shin splints, he was out for ages. They can't treat them like other injuries. It's just rest and a waiting game. Could be out for a couple of months. I'm hoping he'll be fine after two-three weeks rest. Fingers crossed

Edited by Lord Willard

8 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

My cousin was in the Villa youth team, he suffered shin splints, he was out for ages. They can't treat them like other injuries. It's just rest and a waiting game. Could be out for a couple of months. I'm hoping he'll be fine after two-three weeks rest. Fingers crossed

its like osgood-schlatters in as much, as there is little they can do.

25 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I get them from running on hard surfaces. They are painful and like you say nothing you can do cure it. I got dry needling done when I had them before, nearly passed out with the pain when the needles were sinking into my calves. 

5 hours ago, TRO said:

For periods in the game, I still stand by it.....one of the reasons Blues are doing well...they are robust.

It doesn't mean ALL our players or ALL of the time....but at times I think we are lacking in that area of the game, just McGinn doing it, not enough.

name a team where ALL the players are robust All the time...I'll show you a team that isn't very successful.  Sometimes, it's much smarter to wait and "contain" than to barge in.  John McGinn would be a better player if he were less robust at times.  he get's too many cards.  Being reluctant to challenge physically can certainly be a weakness.

But I'm just arguing for the sake of it, TBH.  You tend to spot a lack of physicality as a weakness more quickly and prominently than I.  But I'm quite content to disagree.  :)

Â