The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You might as well wheel out a fact about him being a coke addict and be done with it

Edit - obviously he'll also be retired by 31

I passed on some info, why you wanna make drama, take it as you will, believe or don't believe, but don't fight it.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

You might as well wheel out a fact about him being a coke addict and be done with it

Edit - obviously he'll also be retired by 31

He’s got liver disease I heard. 

My mate’s cat got stroked by Kalvin Phillips’ aunt last week

Wouldn't surprise me if he went full Dwight Yorke after winning the treble. Dwight basically retired that summer and then towards the end of his career realised how he had wasted what could have been his best years. 

Edited by villa89
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he went full Dwight Yorke after winning the treble. Dwight basically retired that summer and then towards the end of his career realised how he had wasted what could have been his best years. 

Yorke scored 20 league goals as Utd won the league the season after the treble.

He even played 22 games the season after that and won the league again.

He did drop off after that but he was about 32

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Has been slandered all season on football Twitter for being a winger that doesn't beat his man and just recycles possession. The arrival of Doku and Pep's comments of him being a "proper winger" has fueled that even more. Makes me think about this single-minded pursuit of winning above all else in football, so I'll go on a bit of a ramble.

I know he doesn't care and will take his treble and endless spotlight over adulation for his ability to entertain, but as a football fan it's kind of sad to see him become this kind of player. He was probably the most entertaining player to watch in the league when he played for us. His final season for us was a work of art really. Even in terms of stats he led the league in chances created and was among the best for progressive carries and touches in the opposition box. The way people go on about him now you'd think he was Matt Jarvis. 

I don't know if it's Pep that makes him play this way or if he plays more reserved as he's afraid of being dropped if he messes up, but I think if he continued playing his natural game until he retired, he'd have been one of those players that people look back on 20 years later with fondness and reverence of how they played the beautiful game, not unlike players like Cantona, Bergkamp and Riquelme etc are today.

I know players don't really care about that as trophies and accolades are above all else, but I wish they did. Football is entertainment at the end of the day, and I wish it were geared more towards entertaining the fans. Luckily, the best most winning football is usually very entertaining, but if somehow a more boring "meta" were to be discovered to be the most effective, I have no doubt football would collectively shift towards it, and even more players like Jack will fall through the cracks. Just the nature of intense competition with enormous amounts of money on the line.

Agree with all this. He's the most boring player in the league now.

Will be picked in all their big games though, because he just does not lose the ball.

If he's let off the lead by Pep it'll take him some time to remember what he's doing but I think he could be electric for them still.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

On 09/09/2023 at 17:27, Stevo985 said:

He’s got liver disease I heard. 

My mate’s cat got stroked by Kalvin Phillips’ aunt last week

hmm there must be some kind of crime wave. The other week my mates dogs bum got sniffed by rishi sunaks dog.

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Has been slandered all season on football Twitter for being a winger that doesn't beat his man and just recycles possession. The arrival of Doku and Pep's comments of him being a "proper winger" has fueled that even more. Makes me think about this single-minded pursuit of winning above all else in football, so I'll go on a bit of a ramble.

I know he doesn't care and will take his treble and endless spotlight over adulation for his ability to entertain, but as a football fan it's kind of sad to see him become this kind of player. He was probably the most entertaining player to watch in the league when he played for us. His final season for us was a work of art really. Even in terms of stats he led the league in chances created and was among the best for progressive carries and touches in the opposition box. The way people go on about him now you'd think he was Matt Jarvis. 

I don't know if it's Pep that makes him play this way or if he plays more reserved as he's afraid of being dropped if he messes up, but I think if he continued playing his natural game until he retired, he'd have been one of those players that people look back on 20 years later with fondness and reverence of how they played the beautiful game, not unlike players like Cantona, Bergkamp and Riquelme etc are today.

I know players don't really care about that as trophies and accolades are above all else, but I wish they did. Football is entertainment at the end of the day, and I wish it were geared more towards entertaining the fans. Luckily, the best most winning football is usually very entertaining, but if somehow a more boring "meta" were to be discovered to be the most effective, I have no doubt football would collectively shift towards it, and even more players like Jack will fall through the cracks. Just the nature of intense competition with enormous amounts of money on the line.

Pep might have wanted to turn him into someone that can play in the half space like KDB/Silva/Foden/Gundogan. But he looked lost in the middle there.

Reminds me of Mahrez when he moved from Leicester to City. He was electric and all over the place for Leicester and then became just a RW recycler who became a cog in the machine at the end before taking his money overseas. I'm sure Jack will go down the same route.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Pep might have wanted to turn him into someone that can play in the half space like KDB/Silva/Foden/Gundogan. But he looked lost in the middle there.

Reminds me of Mahrez when he moved from Leicester to City. He was electric and all over the place for Leicester and then became just a RW recycler who became a cog in the machine at the end before taking his money overseas. I'm sure Jack will go down the same route.

Mahrez at least was scoring loads of goals, despite losing his flair. Seems like Jack is simply in the team to keep the ball. I think JJ had more contributions than JG last season playing for 7th place Villa and giving him a 3 month head start.

Jack was never a natural goal scorer.

I think in a different system with more space on the counter and more freedom, he would add more to his tally but City keep the ball so much and Jack's strengths have been progressing the ball up the field and absorbing defenders for assists and hockey assists.

Jack was invaluable in dragging a team up the pitch and causing so much havoc that the opponents would tilt towards him, leaving others open. No such luck in this City team where he's told to keep the width, drive them back to get space for the cut back.

A 100M not efficiently spent IMO but what do they and he care? Got a treble for their troubles.

On 09/09/2023 at 23:16, Stevo985 said:

Yorke scored 20 league goals as Utd won the league the season after the treble.

He even played 22 games the season after that and won the league again.

He did drop off after that but he was about 32

Was the best player on the pitch against England in the world cup in 2006 and was still Sunderlands most influential player for a couple of years after that. Good that he was shit for SHA before that though.

20 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Really good post, although the reality is a lot of those "streets don't forget" players do have to change their game if they want to win trophies.

Unless you're a Messi or a Ronaldo or an Mbappe, you're probably having to make some sacrifices to your natural game if you want to be part of an all-star squad and challenging for Champions Leagues.

Joe Cole is a good example. He slotted into Mourinho's hardworking defensive style, showing flashes of brilliance, and having a couple of great seasons with silverware, but we never really got to see the player he was threatening to become at West Ham.

Or even Rooney, a more gifted player than Grealish, who spent a lot of his Utd career doing a job so other players could shine.

I do think, however, that Grealish could have picked an "elite" side that suited his natural game a bit better. Pep's system has never really had room for the swashbuckling winger or free 10, and his original hope that Grealish could be a more central player didn't really work. So he's ended up being very good at a fairly boring job out wide.

Could be a different story somewhere like Madrid where generally the front 4 or 5 have had a lot of freedom to play their own game.

But if we really want to see classic Grealish, he'll probably need to step down a level and be the main man again.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

That Doku lad seemed to play with a lot of freedom.

I think it has more to do with Grealish being scared of messing up and being out of the team rather than being limited by the system.

I may be completely wrong but that's the way I see it.

Edited by Pinebro

I think his time is coming to an end at Man City especially with the signing of Doku who Pep described as a ‘proper winger’ in his post-match comments.

I wonder if Pep is beginning to tire of Jack’s party boy persona? 

Grealish has never really suited their style of play and some would argue their system nullifies his natural game/talent. He won’t care though as he’s won pretty much everything at club level and been paid handsomely for it.

I think they’ll look to offload him next summer. Problem is who can afford to sign him? 

I imagine Newcast-oil could be a likely destination and let’s face it he’d love the nightlife up there. 

Edited by theboyangel

Â