The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

My argument isn't about him leaving and winning things. His ambition was obviously to do that but I don't think as a Villa fan, I'd ever find it stale, walking out onto that pitch in front of 42,000 who idolise you. 

My issue is with people trying to say that I'm mental if I'd not change my loyalties for a load of money. 

Some of my best memories in 40 years have been spent at Villa Park. With my Dad, my kids, my wife, my friends. I'd not swap that for any amount of money but if others would, that's their perogative. 

Anyway, this could be debated for days, weeks and months and we'd all still hold our own personal views on it all.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

£120,000,000.

Sorry, absolute bullshit. 

That sets you and your entire extended family up for 5 generations. Security, freedom, choice, certainty. 

Your totally and utterly barking nuts if you would turn that down over principle. 

It's not even a principle over something important, but some game that other blokes are playing and you're just spectating. It's bonkers. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

So do you live by that same principle in every aspect of your life. That basically, given enough money, it can buy your affection? 

If someone knocked on your door and said 'here is £120mill you have to leave your wife and kids' I guess you'd be off then as well. 

I grew up dreaming of playing for Villa. If I was ever in a position that I had the talent to do so, that's all I'd want to do.

Stuff the money, modern day footballers earn more than enough to be set up for life even playing at a lower level than the Prem. 

Calling people 'nuts' for not having your same viewpoint is a bit pathetic to be honest. 

I would. I would 'leave' them for a day and return the next day.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I can understand why he left, money, fame, success, more money etc...many would do the same.

Don't have to like him for it though, i'm a Villa fan and that is where my main focus and interest lies.

Watching the game though was a little boring one could argue he's a better player and understanding tactics, systems etc yet he didn't take anyone on, dribble past a player or even get up to top speed running with the ball. Did he even have a shot?

From an entertainment perspective this is what most people want to see not a boring and corrupt well-oiled machine that bullies the opposition into submission.

This is my biggest gripe with it all. He's such a unique player, other fans watched Villa because of how good he was. When England played he was trending on Twitter to get him on the pitch every time.

I really don't understand why City paid 100m for him given what they have turned him into. I honestly think if he went to Utd or Liverpool he'd have been allowed to play in a similar fashion to how he did here and he could have been up there for Ballon D'or conversations. 

I'm sure he's happy with winning things but he's lost his footballing identity IMO. 

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

My argument isn't about him leaving and winning things. His ambition was obviously to do that but I don't think as a Villa fan, I'd ever find it stale, walking out onto that pitch in front of 42,000 who idolise you. 

My issue is with people trying to say that I'm mental if I'd not change my loyalties for a load of money. 

Some of my best memories in 40 years have been spent at Villa Park. With my Dad, my kids, my wife, my friends. I'd not swap that for any amount of money but if others would, that's their perogative. 

Anyway, this could be debated for days, weeks and months and we'd all still hold our own personal views on it all.

Beautifully put and agree, 100% 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steero113 said:

£120,000,000.

Sorry, absolute bullshit. 

That sets you and your entire extended family up for 5 generations. Security, freedom, choice, certainty. 

Your totally and utterly barking nuts if you would turn that down over principle. 

He would’ve earned 80 million here

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Two observations:

1) jack never has a good game in a final.

2) jack was lambasted as an idiot, a moron, a bad boy etc for his drinking antics while at villa, yet now, being off his face at every opportunity for city and it's loveable jack.

On the second point, he's doing it after the season has ended and it doesn't affect his performances during the season. He became much more professional following his freak kidney injury in 2017/18. I also seem to remember us loving his drinking antics after the Playoff final.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

On the second point, he's doing it after the season has ended and it doesn't affect his performances during the season. He became much more professional following his freak kidney injury in 2017/18. I also seem to remember us loving his drinking antics after the Playoff final.

I think he meant more the media and opposition fans perception. He was always painted as a bit of an immature clown when he did things here and that would never fulfil his potential while he was playing out of his skin. Now its all a bit of a laugh as he is at City

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Actually, he was in the Chadwick Arms near Rugeley with Kyle Walker and Scott Carson the day after the FA Cup Final completely off his face, so the season wasn't over

8 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

So do you live by that same principle in every aspect of your life. That basically, given enough money, it can buy your affection? 

If someone knocked on your door and said 'here is £120mill you have to leave your wife and kids' I guess you'd be off then as well. 

I grew up dreaming of playing for Villa. If I was ever in a position that I had the talent to do so, that's all I'd want to do.

Stuff the money, modern day footballers earn more than enough to be set up for life even playing at a lower level than the Prem. 

Calling people 'nuts' for not having your same viewpoint is a bit pathetic to be honest. 

Is this purely hypothetical or can you sign me up too?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Third observation:

All his mystery injuries that ruled him out for 3 months of the season have mysteriously vanished without returning

Its no conspiracy, he's just being managed. 

In 19/20 he played 3550mins for us, 41 Apps: 36 Prem and 5 League Cup Games.

This season he played less minutes (3448), in 9 more appearances (50).

His last season with us was disrupted by injury, but he played 2,275 minutes in 27 appearances (26L, 1C) Compared to his first City season, he made the same League Appearances (26), playing 270 minutes fewer. His additional minutes that season coming from their longer cup runs.

I'd suggest less of his minutes are 'active' for him at City too, so less pressure on his shins minute per minute - though have no data to back that up.

I'm sure he'll have a similar injury at some point but as well as winning trophies, moving to city may prolong his career.

• Like 2

This past season, was he a better player at City than during his pomp at Aston Villa?

I feel like he was a better player with Villa, his performances were almost always man of the match n single handedly dragged the team. Had Pep really got the best out of him? What he has done is get him playing good football on the left but he is no way as influential as he was at Villa 

Â