The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Who?

If we go back properly through to the 90s and to the European Cup era, when this stat wasn't even recorded, then players like Charlton, Keegan, Hoddle, Waddle, etc. would all feature.

In recent times, most likely Rooney, Beckham.

The clue is in how few of Jack's "chances" convert into goals.

A better stat would be expected assists (xA) which would factor in the *type* of chances he's creating, and would give more weight to players who are splitting defences with their passes, rather than just having lots of touches around the box. Jack creates a lot of low percentage chances because he recycles possession around the box.

It's not a criticism of him as a player, I think he's class. Just pointing out that this stat inflates his contribution to games.

• Like 1

Imagining Southgate having a restless night's sleep, then waking, sitting bolt upright and announcing "I should have silverware!".

He grabs the framed photo of Mason Mount from the pillow next to him, and repeatedly smashes it against the wall.

Edited by Xann
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Also, at the risk of sounding like @rjw63, it's amazing how much more fiercely people defend Owl Hair on here than they do most of our current squad.

Not defending anyone - just talking how I see it, not sure why we need to get into that. And the fact is Grealish is a better player than everyone in our current squad, hence why he went to Man City for £100m and is now starting every game for CL finalists. Kamara does/will come near.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He wins the treble there and he's pretty much achieved all he's wanted to do already at Man. City.

Similar to Sheringham who won treble at Man. United in his second season and then went back to Spurs a few years later.

Dwight Yorke left us won the treble at Man u and was footballer of the year too.. I think Grealish could probably score more goals but other than that he's a world class footballer the likes of which villa may never produce again. 

46 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Also, at the risk of sounding like @rjw63, it's amazing how much more fiercely people defend Owl Hair on here than they do most of our current squad.

I'm pretty sure they're not the same people, it seems more like the people willing to lay into our own players all the time have no time for Jack whatsoever.  

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I'm pretty sure they're not the same people, it seems more like the people willing to lay into our own players all the time have no time for Jack whatsoever.  

Fair point, haha.

44 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Not defending anyone - just talking how I see it, not sure why we need to get into that. And the fact is Grealish is a better player than everyone in our current squad, hence why he went to Man City for £100m and is now starting every game for CL finalists. Kamara does/will come near.

Yeah I'm not suggesting he's crap. I think he's probably a top 50 player in the world. Incredible touch and ability to retain possession.

What keeps him below the KDB, Bernardo, etc type players is his passing isn't incisive enough. How often do you really see him unlock a defence in the way KDB or Foden did last night?

Pep has found a job for him out wide that he does very well, and he's probably about to win a famous treble in the best team of its generation. So can't really criticise his move or his form. Just think he's getting a bit overrated atm because he's English and very media friendly. Bernardo Silva is a much smarter and more dangerous footballer. Of the current crop of English players I'd take Saka and Foden over him too.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He wins the treble there and he's pretty much achieved all he's wanted to do already at Man. City.

Two league Titles, an FA cup and a Champions League (possibly) with still plenty of years left to go at City. Also trebled his wages and broke into the England team. And yet people on here are still bitter that he left... bizarre.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Two league Titles, an FA cup and a Champions League (possibly) with still plenty of years left to go at City. Also trebled his wages and broke into the England team. And yet people on here are still bitter that he left... bizarre.

He's moved on, we need to aswell.

We're a better all round team now at prem level rather than just giving the ball to Jack and crossing our fingers which was the case three years ago.

Would be very exciting though if we could unearth that profile of player from somewhere considering what Emery is creating. Napoli found one playing in Georgia and he lead them to their first title in decades.

43 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Fair point, haha.

Yeah I'm not suggesting he's crap. I think he's probably a top 50 player in the world. Incredible touch and ability to retain possession.

What keeps him below the KDB, Bernardo, etc type players is his passing isn't incisive enough. How often do you really see him unlock a defence in the way KDB or Foden did last night?

Pep has found a job for him out wide that he does very well, and he's probably about to win a famous treble in the best team of its generation. So can't really criticise his move or his form. Just think he's getting a bit overrated atm because he's English and very media friendly. Bernardo Silva is a much smarter and more dangerous footballer. Of the current crop of English players I'd take Saka and Foden over him too.

I'd take Grealish ahead of those two. But I rate Saka and Foden very highly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

If we go back properly through to the 90s and to the European Cup era, when this stat wasn't even recorded, then players like Charlton, Keegan, Hoddle, Waddle, etc. would all feature.

In recent times, most likely Rooney, Beckham.

The clue is in how few of Jack's "chances" convert into goals.

A better stat would be expected assists (xA) which would factor in the *type* of chances he's creating, and would give more weight to players who are splitting defences with their passes, rather than just having lots of touches around the box. Jack creates a lot of low percentage chances because he recycles possession around the box.

It's not a criticism of him as a player, I think he's class. Just pointing out that this stat inflates his contribution to games.

Jack has almost identical XA to KDB in the champions league

Grealish 2.5 XA

KDB 2.8 XA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

He's still miles off the Villa levels but he won't ever be able to reach them under Pep because he still can't do the things that made him worth 100m. 

He's a much better player than when he was at Villa.

Being the one man team with no responsibilities and freedom to do what you want is a much easier job than the role he's playing for a machine like City

The Villa version of Grealish would get subbed in 5 minutes by Pep

• Like 1

He’s a fantastic footballer and been woefully underused by England, which annoys me. I could never understand it.  An example….

Grealish (27 years) currently 31 caps 

Saka (21 years) currently 26 caps

Foden (22 years) currently 23 caps 

He should have far more caps than he has for his age. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

He’s a fantastic footballer and been woefully underused by England, which annoys me. I could never understand it.  An example….

He was nearly 24 when he became a regular Premier League player

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He was nearly 24 when he became a regular Premier League player

Not sure that’s even relevant? He was good enough when younger but clearly not fancied. In my opinion he’s as talented as anything we’ve got and has been underused. 

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Not sure that’s even relevant? He was good enough when younger but clearly not fancied. In my opinion he’s as talented as anything we’ve got and has been underused. 

He wasnt going to win caps playing in the Championship especially when he wasnt even a regular for about a year down there

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Olof82Mellberg4 said:

Jack has almost identical XA to KDB in the champions league

Grealish 2.5 XA

KDB 2.8 XA

That illustrates the point about chance creation, though? Grealish's "chance creation" stats are far better than KDB's, but he's slightly behind on xA, which suggests he's setting up more low quality chances, whereas KDB is playing people in for sitters.

24 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

The other two played for Arsenal and Man City thats why. Think Grealish was woefully underused in the world cup. Interesting that Pep now prefers Grealish in the big games more than Foden, although Foden has had health and injury problems but for all his talent I think Foden is a bit lightweight and easy to bully. 

Â