The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

No but you would want Modric to still perform, same with Pogba comparison he has been a huge flop on the pitch and somehow helped make United midfield worse

City have paid 100 million so yes expectations are higher but I can’t remember him having one great performance since he joined City. He has been a sub for City major games as well as his manager doesn't seem to trust him

That's a completely different point though.

I agree he has to improve. I imagine everyone including Grealish himself knows that.

And his output in terms of goals and assists DOES need to improve, of course.

All I'm saying is he's never going to suddenly become Frank Lampard level of goals and assists. Whether he cost 1 million or 100 million.

Villa fans have known this for years, so I don't know why we're suddenly using it as a stick to beat him with

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Still has to go down as the freatest piece of business. Even with our struggles getting 100m for him. We utterly mugged them

We really didn't

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

He isnt worth 100m, i said it before he even went. I reckon around 80m mark would have been a fair deal. 100m no way for me

That's hardly a mugging and "the greatest piece of business".

At most they slightly overpaid for one of the best players in the league (at the time)

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

At most they slightly overpaid for one of the best players in the league (at the time)

If anything I think they underpaid for him given the fees other less gifted players are going for or being valued at.

City and the genius that is Pep are wasting his natural ability. That’s the reason why he’s having an average season. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

If anything I think they underpaid for him given the fees other less gifted players are going for or being valued at.

City and the genius that is Pep are wasting his natural ability. That’s the reason why he’s having an average season. 

I'd bet good money he'll be very good next season

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd bet good money he'll be very good next season

If he clicks with Haaland then double figures for assists 

But then I think Haaland will absolutely smash it at city next year, if he stays fit 25+ goals in all comps 

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I find it interesting that Grealish (a top player) goes to City (a top side) to play under Pep (a top manager) for a record breaking sum and there’s a sort of  understanding or an acceptance that, hey the first season or so might not be much good.

Whereas someone like, I don’t know, Wesley (or whoever), who’s obviously nowhere near as good, signed for a much smaller fee, to a poorer side, a much less successful manager…and the tolerance for him settling in is not as high. Not to mention things like settling in a new country or language barriers. There’s less “Oh he’ll come good next season”.

It comes across to me that, Grealish, Pep and City all being top tier means they get given extra leeway while the less talented and less expensive personnel don’t. I would have thought being at such a high level means there’s an expectation to hit the ground running quicker. But in Pep’s case it appears the opposite is true(r).

not even Wesley, looks at some of the posts on the Bailey thread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

He isnt worth 100m, i said it before he even went. I reckon around 80m mark would have been a fair deal. 100m no way for me

I still think he was worth more than that to us and was disappointed we only got £100m.  Another 3 years of building round him could have earnt us more than £100m.

One thing I noticed from that video of the Liverpool game is that when clowns like Souness said he took too long on the ball, they ignore just how good he was at drawing the defender into something he doesn't want to do, then just making a fool of them either with a pass, dribbling past them or getting fouled.  Now they've got their wish where Jack just gets the ball and passes it, he just looks half the player.  

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still think he was worth more than that to us and was disappointed we only got £100m.  Another 3 years of building round him could have earnt us more than £100m.

One thing I noticed from that video of the Liverpool game is that when clowns like Souness said he took too long on the ball, they ignore just how good he was at drawing the defender into something he doesn't want to do, then just making a fool of them either with a pass, dribbling past them or getting fouled.  Now they've got their wish where Jack just gets the ball and passes it, he just looks half the player.  

You can blame Grealish’s camp for inserting the £100m clause. Without it, we weren’t going to be accepting. The knock on effect of his loss has been clear but I think we will see a more rejuvenated side without him. What Grealish does next also depends on what Pep does. Very interested to see how he would adapt under a different manager. 

36 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

You can blame Grealish’s camp for inserting the £100m clause. Without it, we weren’t going to be accepting. The knock on effect of his loss has been clear but I think we will see a more rejuvenated side without him. What Grealish does next also depends on what Pep does. Very interested to see how he would adapt under a different manager. 

Also Purslow and Villa is to blame as well for allowing it to happen, the clause was put in by the club

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Also Purslow and Villa is to blame as well for allowing it to happen, the clause was put in by the club

C’mon who was going to be spending £100m on him? He almost engineered a move to United before that. The reality is that he hadn’t even finished a full season injury free and hadn’t had much international exposure. What else was the club to do in that situation? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

C’mon who was going to be spending £100m on him? He almost engineered a move to United before that. The reality is that he hadn’t even finished a full season injury free and hadn’t had much international exposure. What else was the club to do in that situation? 

The club wanted him to stay and Jack only agreed if a Champions League release clause was inserted

Both sides agreed to the deal. Only **** up was we should have insisted that it was earlier in the window that it had to be triggered

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The club wanted him to stay and Jack only agreed if a Champions League release clause was inserted

Both sides agreed to the deal. Only **** up was we should have insisted that it was earlier in the window that it had to be triggered

I agree on the timing issue - that pre-season training outdoors was farcical and embarrassing. Covid didn’t help but it was a total disaster from the club.  

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

100m the biggest english player record? We got 100m for him and the guys scored not even 5 league goals this year. I would say that is "the greatest piece of business"

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'd rather have seen Jack stay than get £100m for him.

It probably helps with FFP etc but it's just not the same anymore.

Its one season. Time to move on from him. The clubs bigger than any player.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I wouldn't BLAME someone for accepting into a contract a British record release clause. I would congratulate them on smart negotiation. 

Â