The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

I expect to see more of him under Sherwood. Not that that would be hard. I'd expect a youngster to lack confidence on the pitch after the knock back he got in the latter days of Lambert's tenure. He got dispossessed in dodgy areas when he came on against Leicester but I'm looking forward to seeing him get a proper chance.

I don't think we'll see much of him this season though. Off the bench maybe. Sherwood could put the youngsters in at Tottenham because he knew them already, and it was less of a risk anyway. I'm sure Grealish will get a fair crack but I doubt he'll be starting before the end of the year. 

• Like 1

I don't think we'll see much of him this season though. Off the bench maybe. Sherwood could put the youngsters in at Tottenham because he knew them already, and it was less of a risk anyway. I'm sure Grealish will get a fair crack but I doubt he'll be starting before the end of the year.

I don't expect him to start. I just expect to see more of him. And I don't mean as the cameras pan over the bench :P
  • Like 2

Sherwood said he would look to the youngsters in the long term and as long as they had the correct application and had the desire to become footballers they would make it like Kane and Mason did

They key bit was 'if they are good enough'

Which has been he biggest issue with our Academy in general for a long time now.

We produce pros, just not good premier league ones (odd exception excluded)

Jack's confidence looked absolutely shot when he came on. We don't know the ins and outs of things, but judging by the occasional Twitter outbursts from him, I think it's been quite a difficult season for him.

He's still very young, and hopefully this is all a learning curve for him.

I think it's for the best that he go out to the Championship on loan, as it could do more bad than good for him development-wise playing in our run-in when there will be a lot of tight games.

I would put him directly into the water of Premier League against Stoke, if Gil was not to be fit on time.

Jack was out of confidence, he seemed to be totally down last game, but he needs a fresh restart.

I would put him directly into the water of Premier League against Stoke, if Gil was not to be fit on time.

Jack was out of confidence, he seemed to be totally down last game, but he needs a fresh restart.

So you wouldn't go full nursery rhyme and use Jack & Gil :P

My word.

Sherwood said he would look to the youngsters in the long term and as long as they had the correct application and had the desire to become footballers they would make it like Kane and Mason did

Which has been he biggest issue with our Academy in general for a long time now.

Steve Davis

Gabriel Agbonlahor

Gary Cahil

Gareth Barry

Craig Gardner

Luke Moore

Peter Whittingham

the academy does produce talent, its just never been nurtured

Steve Davis

Gabriel Agbonlahor

Gary Cahil

Gareth Barry

Craig Gardner

Luke Moore

Peter Whittingham

the academy does produce talent, its just never been nurtured

In fairness I think that proves his point. They're decent pros but Cahill and Barry are the only real standouts. Barry wasn't even really from our academy.  

It's a little kind including Gareth Barry given that we nicked him from Brighton&HA as a 16 year old which is beyond the point where an academy can really take the credit.

Sorry BOF, I am continental, so I do not understand English kind of humour :)

Well aren't most academies like that? I don't think our academy has been bad at all in honesty. There's certainly been a lot of potential come out of it, whether that potential is seen in the end is another thing. We've had situations like Cahill where the player has the potential but wants first team football and he isn't good enough at that point in time so we move him on. Or we have examples like Gary Gardner who I still believe could be great but has suffered so many injuries it really has halted his development ridiculously. 

It's not the academies fault that the Premier League standard is so high and unless the youngster is basically an incredible footballer in their teens that they'll need experience before they even get 'real' minutes on the pitch for us. It's a double edged sword which Grealish is suffering from right now for example.

I would not be surprised to see him go out on loan until the end of the season. Then probably see more of him and possibly Robinson next season.

Sherwood might well concentrate on the more experienced players for the rest of the season to be sure of keeping us up, and I could not blame him for that.

Â