• England
    • USA
    • Algeria
    • Slovenia

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there really any need for this comment under the picture on their website?!

TAKE THIS, YOB, AND SHOVE IT! US soccer fans erupt after a goal (above) -- to the chagrin of a bummed-out England booster at the bar -- at the Manchester Pub in Midtown yesterday during the historic rivals' 1-1 draw at the World Cup in South Africa.

Problem for England and the main reason they wont win the World Cup is they dont have a midfielder to set the tempo. This is why Capello wanted Scholes the only English player who can do this.

All other top countries(Spain have a few) have Xavi, Cesc, Alonso, Van Bommel, Pirlo, Deco and Veron who do this and England dont have

Problem for England and the main reason they wont win the World Cup is they dont have a midfielder to set the tempo. This is why Capello wanted Scholes the only English player who can do this.

All other top countries(Spain have a few) have Xavi, Cesc, Alonso, Van Bommel, Pirlo, Deco and Veron who do this and England dont have

Its not the only reason but its certainly one of them, I agree with you.

You seem to have forgotten a certain genius named Michael Carrick!

These guys don't seem to have got over the eighteenth century yet!

It's 'cheeri-yo!'

Bloody hell for English soccer fans in the city

By GEORGETT ROBERTS and AMBER SUTHERLAND

Last Updated: 9:36 AM, June 13, 2010

It was the second shot heard 'round the world.

In true revolutionary style, the underdog Americans came from behind and blasted the powerful Brits to a nail-biting 1-1 draw yesterday in one of the all-time great World Cup soccer battles.

Armies of Yankee revelers across the city celebrated their beloved longshot team as they took on their redcoat rivals.

England scored its only goal in the fourth minute of the afternoon match at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium in Johannesburg, South Africa.

At Studio Square in Astoria, Queens, some 2,000 fans from both sides of the pond watched the two-hour game outdoors on a giant 9-by-12-foot flat screen while drinking beer and rooting for their respective home teams.

West Villager Matt Kennedy, 24, gasped in relief when the 90-minutemen evened the scored against the lame limeys.

"For the US, it's a win. Our one goal was a lucky one, but it was a goal nevertheless," the Yank gloated.

"1776, one to zero," said an exhausted Shane Hoback, 35, who drove 15 hours from hometown Lima, Ohio, to watch the game in the Big Apple. "Now it's two to zero."

Each time the camera cut away to injured soccer superstar David Beckham in the stands, American boos drowned out Brit cheers.

Other British fans, some draped in the Union Jack, screamed, "En-Go-Land!"

The feisty US team retaliated in the 40th minute, when Clint Dempsey's shot dribbled past blundering British goalkeeper Robert Green -- and "USA! USA!" erupted around the city and nation. This is the first time the US played England in the World Cup since its 1950 miracle 1-0 victory in Brazil.

Packed to the rafters at Nevada Smiths on Third Avenue partying soccer fans spilled onto the street.

"I always wanted to play in the World Cup," said David Pollard, 22, of Williamsburg, who was wearing a Stars and Stripes beanie. "I am living vicariously through these guys."

Banker Leonard Stello, 38, of Murray Hill, wanted revenge for a broken heart.

"I wanted us to kick their butt. I had an ex-girlfriend there, and I have nothing good to say about England."

Melody Woods, 29, an Upper West Sider who traveled to the UK for her studies said, "I came because it's the ultimate mash-up. I love the country, but I love ours more."

Additional reporting by Michelle Kaske

georgett.roberts@nypost.com

You seem to have forgotten a certain genius named Michael Carrick!

When that is your best hope you know their is a problem.

Was there really any need for this comment under the picture on their website?!

TAKE THIS, YOB, AND SHOVE IT! US soccer fans erupt after a goal (above) -- to the chagrin of a bummed-out England booster at the bar -- at the Manchester Pub in Midtown yesterday during the historic rivals' 1-1 draw at the World Cup in South Africa.

I quite like the wordplay, myself.

Take This Job and Shove It (I ain't working here no more)

Jay Greenberg"]

We had a lot of time on our hands between 1950 and 1990, when the U.S. didn’t qualify for a single World Cup, but we’re catching up fast because we can catch the ball.

Perhaps because dexterity is required in every game Americans historically have held dear, goalkeeper, the one position on a soccer team where the use of hands is permitted, is one position at which we excel. Perhaps, just like North Americans used to put the fattest kid in the hockey goal, the Brits have never prioritized the position with its best athletes.

Following yesterday’s 1-1 draw with the U.S. in the World Cup opener, England coach Fabio Capello will not only be drawn but probably quartered, too, for his selection of Robert Green, the goalkeeper of West Ham, who ham-handedly botched a simple two-hopper by Clint Dempsey in the 40th minute.

To England’s horror, the ball skipped off Green’s scooped mitts and rolled across the line like King George only wished he could have made Thomas Jefferson’s and John Adams’s heads roll in 1776. Had that happened, Tim Howard might have been playing goal for England yesterday. Instead, North Brunswick, N.J.’s, finest was also America’s yesterday, the latest reason to celebrate that our founding fathers pressed the issue.

Ricardo Clark dozed on Steven Gerrard’s goal only four minutes into the game, and Howard, who had no chance to make the save, came up screaming at his defenders. They respect him so much, they never mind. Thereafter, England, which had the ball 57 percent of the game, got nothing more out of it but frustration.

A worrisome American backline closed ranks, just as Howard closed off Emile Heskey to keep the deficit at only one, beating him to a cross with a dive and getting kicked hard in the ribs for his trouble.

“I was going to try and give myself another 10 minutes and carry on to halftime, but didn’t want to be stupid,” Howard said. “The adrenaline kicked back in, the pain meds kicked in.”

Howard stayed down a while, though not as long as England will stay down on Green.

“I felt for him,” said Howard, who rose to the occasion with maybe the most famous point we’ve made against England since the one that began “When, in the course of human events ...”

Less than a minute after Dempsey’s gift goal, England’s Glen Johnson had a dead-on chance and Howard stopped him. In the 52nd minute, out came the Yank goalie on Heskey; and in the 62nd minute, Howard leaped to knock a drive by Frank Lampard over the crossbar.

An active and dangerous Wayne Rooney sent in Shaun Wright-Phillips, but Howard cut down the angle to punch the ball away, then did it again on the resultant corner kick by Rooney, as he thwarted England’s last two good chances.

Green recovered to stop Jozy Altidore on the Americans’ only really good opportunity of the second half, knocking the ball into the goal post, but there was no saving face, or outsaving Howard, who had five stops to Green’s three.

“I’m glad it’s over, there was a lot of hype and pressure,” Howard said.

Tell Capello about it. England may never get over this, but it was forewarned. The Brits, who once trusted Howard, the ex-Metro Star, in the goal of its most famous side, Manchester United, have since seen him pick up Everton, long the second team in Liverpool, to respectability in four seasons.

So England already knew he is one of the better goalies in the world. And now we know it, too.

[table color=#D9E2EC:464e59a8f0]

[mrow color=#8c333c:464e59a8f0][mcol]Group C[mcol]P[mcol]W[mcol]D[mcol]L[mcol]F[mcol]A[mcol]Pts[mcol]GD

[mrow][col]Algeria[mcol]1[mcol]1[mcol]0[mcol]0[mcol]1[mcol]0[mcol]3[mcol]1

[mrow][col]England[mcol]1[mcol]0[mcol]1[mcol]0[mcol]1[mcol]1[mcol]1[mcol]0

[mrow][col]USA[mcol]1[mcol]0[mcol]1[mcol]0[mcol]1[mcol]1[mcol]1[mcol]0

[mrow][col]Slovenia[mcol]1[mcol]0[mcol]0[mcol]1[mcol]0[mcol]1[mcol]0[mcol]-1

[/table]

[table color=#D9E2EC:464e59a8f0]

[mrow color=#8c333c:464e59a8f0][mcol]No[mcol]Date[mcol]K.O.[mcol]Team[mcol]Score[mcol]Team[mcol]Venue[mcol]TV[mcol]Scorers

[mrow][col]5[mcol]12/6[mcol]19:30[mcol]England[mcol]1 − 1[mcol]USA[mcol]Rustenburg[mcol]ITV 1[mcol]Gerrard 4', Dempsey 40'

[mrow][col]6[mcol]13/6[mcol]12:30[mcol]Algeria[mcol]1 - 0[mcol]Slovenia[mcol]Polokwane[mcol]BBC 1[mcol]Koren 79'

[mrow][col]22[mcol]18/6[mcol]15:00[mcol]Slovenia[mcol]-[mcol]USA[mcol]Johannesburg - JEP[mcol]BBC 1[mcol]-

[mrow][col]23[mcol]18/6[mcol]19:30[mcol]England[mcol]-[mcol]Algeria[mcol]Cape Town[mcol]ITV 1[mcol]-

[mrow][col]37[mcol]23/6[mcol]15:00[mcol]Slovenia[mcol]-[mcol]England[mcol]Port Elizabeth[mcol]BBC 1[mcol]-

[mrow][col]38[mcol]23/6[mcol]15:00[mcol]USA[mcol]-[mcol]Algeria[mcol]Pretoria[mcol]BBC Int[mcol]-[/table]

eh thats wrong :)

And from the NY Daily News:

gal_frontpage_100613.jpg

gal_backpage_100613.jpg

(the other northeastern tabloids, are softpedaling the World Cup... the Boston Herald's sports insert relegates the Cup to a sidebar on the front page, while the Philadelphia Daily News ignores it completely)

We were poor, really really really poor. Yes we would have won the game if not for Robert Green but nonetheless the performance was terrible and for me at least the myth of the genius of Capello was dismissed.

Agreed on the Capello thought but don't think we were really poor. World class goalkeeping at one end and horrible goalkeeping at the other stopped it front being a cricket score. On another day we'd have won it 4-0, easily. We completely dominated the game and they offered little to nothing going forward, the Lampard/Gerrard did leave them a bit of space which they exploited once or twice.

Meanwhile at the back, Ledley King is injured already, anyone surprised? Then there is Carragher who was too slow for international football 3 years ago and guess what he hasn't got any **** quicker.

Laughable isn't it. Both looked completely out of it. DeMeritt and Onyewu pissed all over King on set peices, I'm struggling to think of one header he won, then Carragher made the US forward look like Messi when he was on.

The fact that these 2 players play for England is one reason we won't win the World Cup. Neither should even be in the entire squad, forget playing.