Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I get that. And if the list was for impact of character, or importance of character then I'd probably agree.

But if you're talking about characters as a whole then I don't think Omar can go as high as people like Stringer and Bodie. They're much more interesting and layered characters.

Not saying Omar is a bad character of course. He's incredible. Just not top of the list for that show.

i think i understand what you're getting at stevo, stringer bell had a better character arc and they developed him more than they did omar, who i think they inadvertently flipped to an almost anti-hero once they realised how popular the character was with the viewers, from where it started to where it ends Omar doesnt actually develop that much despite being a hugely important character to the show, but Stringer Bell does 

Edited by villa4europe

Yeah that's more or less it.

I didn't really think there was much to Omar beyond what you find out pretty quickly.

He's fearless, he robs drug dealers, he's a **** badass and he's gay, which is a great feature for him to have because it's so surprising for someone in that environment and that show.

He's great, and I loved the character, but I guess I think he's just straightforward, if that makes sense.

Whereas with Stringer, and especially Bodie, their characters never stop developing. Bodie in Episode One is so so different to Bodie at the end of the show.

I didn't really think there was much to Omar beyond what you find out pretty quickly.

He's fearless, he robs drug dealers, he's a **** badass and he's gay, which is a great feature for him to have because it's so surprising for someone in that environment and that show.

He's great, and I loved the character, but I guess I think he's just straightforward, if that makes sense.

Whereas with Stringer, and especially Bodie, their characters never stop developing. Bodie in Episode One is so so different to Bodie at the end of the show.

Yep, going from being alive to dead is a life changing experience and a half

;)

Yep, going from being alive to dead is a life changing experience and a half

;)

well yes. I would have written "his last episode", but that would have been a bit of a spoiler. As it would have been if I'd just put "different to Bodie

When he dies

I get that. And if the list was for impact of character, or importance of character then I'd probably agree.

But if you're talking about characters as a whole then I don't think Omar can go as high as people like Stringer and Bodie. They're much more interesting and layered characters.

Not saying Omar is a bad character of course. He's incredible. Just not top of the list for that show.

Yeah I know what you're saying, and I like I wrote before I understand liking a character more and finding one better or more interesting than the other and I tie that in with both the characters, Stringer and Bodie, being two very layered characters which shows they are well written and excellently performed.

And I think a key thing with Bodie and Stringer was, that throughout the seasons, their characters developed arguably more than Omar's did, especially Bodie I'd say, who was very different in the end compared to when we first met him.

And like you say, the list is not for characters who has made most impact or for importance, it's for 'Greatest', in the sense of entertainment factor, I think.

Stringer, Bodie, Omar and in my opinion the vast majority of The Wire's characters all fit in with that.

Omar Little has been an interesting character, or has had an interesting impact, that's probably a better way to have put it and so have Bodie and Stringer (And others).

Omar is my favourite character, for his charisma, his shock factor, he had a dark sense of humour even when in extremely difficult and dangerous situations (Admittedly he did put himself in them),

he went from being a shotgun carrying vigilante-Robin-Hood type character to a desperate imprisoned man with everyone who surrounded him out to get him and near the very end, a wounded animal, fighting for his survival in a more literal way than he had done before

A man who played with fire, arguably sold out and betrayed certain people for what he perceived to be the right reasons, whilst believing his intentions were correct, outfoxing the biggest drug dealers over and over again until his luck ran out, like everyone's does in the end. All this whilst adhering to or under the mentality of a 'street code'. a mindset you found in a lot of the characters and one you find in real life too, albeit different 'codes' have different levels of strictness.

• Like 1

Ziggy's duck deserves a place, top 5 I think...

I'd put Ziggy's duck in second place. In front of Snot Boogie in third, but behind No Heart Anthony in first. 

• Like 1

Is 'Oz' worth watching?

Yeah I'd say so. It used to be my favourite show, but that was before I discovered The Wire, and the shows that followed. I'm not sure if it may seem a little dated now. Plus the strength of HBO's output since does dwarf it in terms of quality. It'll be full of familiar faces though, and there's plenty of strong story lines. 

total films best 50 HBO characters - 

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-greatest-hbo-characters

dont totally agree with it, number 4 in particular seems a really strange one, and i might be biased because its my favourite tv programme but i think paulie, tonys mom and possibly even ralph from the sopranos should be on there

Where is Ari from Entourage?!   easily my favourite character of all HBO characters.

followed closely by Tyrion from GoT.

dont totally agree with it, number 4 in particular seems a really strange one, and i might be biased because its my favourite tv programme but i think paulie, tonys mom and possibly even ralph from the sopranos should be on there

Where is Ari from Entourage?!   easily my favourite character of all HBO characters.

followed closely by Tyrion from GoT.

he is on there somewhere, late teens i think

That list is missing Gyp Rosetti....

• Like 2

Â