Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

True detective season 1 episode 2

Cant put my finger on it but it's just a masterpiece of TV 

The whole of season 1 is epic. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Based on a true story with Kaley Cucoo and Tom Bateman is a bit of fun.

We blitzed that on new years. Big, daft, Dexter-inspired nonsense of a thing. Thoroughly enjoyable. 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2023 at 16:05, sheepyvillian said:

Started the new season of Fargo, back to it's brilliant best. After watching the first 3 episodes, I'm really struggling to re- engage with Reacher. It really isn't all that. 

Glad i popped into this thread as i didn't realise there was a new series of Fargo.

Just watched the first two episodes and yet again it's bang on the money....love it👍

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Glad i popped into this thread as i didn't realise there was a new series of Fargo.

Just watched the first two episodes and yet again it's bang on the money....love it👍

The 'weekly dripfeed' of episodes threw us. We got halfway through, and then got distracted into some other show. So we need to work out where we left it, in order to catch up. 

On a vaguely related note, Harry and Jack Williams (Two Brothers Pictures) are putting in a good claim to be the British Joel and Ethan Coen. Both 'Boat Story' and 'The Tourist' have very strong stylistic similarities with Fargo. I was quite surprised to find that they were also behind 'Baptiste', 'Fleabag' and - bizarrely - 'Call the Midwife' (!) 

• Like 1

If you grew up as a child through the seventies, the chances are you were a big fan of the cop show Starsky and Hutch, usually shown on a Saturday night . So it was very sad to hear of the passing today of David Soul who played Hutch. He also had a talent for singing, anyone remember, "Don't give up on us baby"?

• Like 1

On 29/12/2023 at 21:58, il_serpente said:

Just watched the first episode of Brockmire based on a recommendation.   I was caught off guard by the monologue about walking in on his wife pegging the next door neighbor, as our 15 year-old daughter was watching with us.  A tad awkward.

It was a very funny show, though.

Yeah I loved Brockmire. The service I had only streamed the first two series though. The second series went to some incredibly dark and interesting places between the laughs too. 

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

If you grew up as a child through the seventies, the chances are you were a big fan of the cop show Starsky and Hutch, usually shown on a Saturday night . So it was very sad to hear of the passing today of David Soul who played Hutch. He also had a talent for singing, anyone remember, "Don't give up on us baby"?

Introduced to a new generation on the silver screen-

• Like 1

More good news, really liked this show.

Jeremy Renner Feels ‘Ready’ to Return to Mayor of Kingstown

One year after his snowplowing accident that left him with critical injuries, Jeremy Renner is returning to his fictional life in politics as the Mayor of Kingstown. He tells Andy Cohen and Anderson Cooper during the CNN New Year’s Eve special that he is returning to work on the third season very soon. “It’s been a wonderfully busy year,” he said of his successful year of recovery. “I think I’m ready, and I think I’m strong enough.

https://www.vulture.com/article/jeremy-renner-mayor-of-kingstown-season-three.html

• Like 1

I've been watching Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective on iPlayer, which has proven to be just as brilliant as I remembered it.

The combination of 1930s music, hilarity, pathos, and Joanne Whalley's charms, adds up to a BBC tour de force.

Am I right, or am I right?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I've been watching Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective on iPlayer, which has proven to be just as brilliant as I remembered it.

The combination of 1930s music, hilarity, pathos, and Joanne Whalley's charms, adds up to a BBC tour de force.

Am I right, or am I right?

You are right. 

Posted (edited)

Just watched Salems Lot (1979 TV mini series) for the first time in decades. 

Probably seems very tame now but I'd forgotten how terrified I'd been as a child about the scene where the vampire is floating outside the window scratching on the glass, and when the guy jumps down onto the coffin. 

Plus how terrifying The Master Vampire was. 

Brilliant performance from James Mason as well. 

Strange how all the vamps go green and ugly except his girlfriend who turned more glamorous though. 

Available on catchup on The Scifi channel. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just watched Salems Lot (1979 TV mini series) for the first time in decades. 

Probably seems very tame now but I'd forgotten how terrified I'd been as a child about the scene where the vampire is floating outside the window scratching on the glass, and when the guy jumps down onto the coffin. 

Plus how terrifying The Master Vampire was. 

Brilliant performance from James Mason as well. 

Strange how all the vamps go green and ugly except his girlfriend who turned more glamorous though. 

Available on catchup on The Scifi channel. 

Definitely Tobe Hoopers second best movie. 

Re. How Susan looked, the vampires sometimes use a 'glamour' to appear normal/attractive/young to their victims. There's a scene when the woman who runs the boarding house has been 'visited ' by the vampire version of her ex husband (the town drunk Weasel) - and she says something like 'I dreamt Weasel visited me, he was young and handsome again'. 

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Â