Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Cage seems to deal with his origin, a little at least. Whether it's pre or post Jones I'm unsure...

What they do after the Defenders is in the air I think. Daredevil series 3 is post Defenders, they are writing Jessica Jones 2 which is also post Defenders, and we've still got Iron Fist before Defenders to come. Cage series 2 was being mooted only yesterday, with Heroes for Hire being in the cards (which is the team Cage and Fist make as, well, Heroes for Hire...) which would be interesting, but that relies on the first series doing well.

So who knows. The series so far have been quite different even with the edgier tone, Daredevil is an action adventure in the vein of Batman, Jessica Jones more of a thriller with heavy psychological elements, notably abuse themes. Cage is looking like an urban action series with the hip hop/Harlem culture thing. Iron Fist should be a mental martial arts revenge story.

And the Defenders? So long as it isn't them versus the Hand it should be great. Because the Hand are shit. I want them fighting Taskmaster with the Hand as interchangeable minions to batter.

Also post Defenders I want Moon Knight in a series. Crazy split personality Batman with ancient Egypt nonsense beating up everything from thugs to ghosts in his head in a kick ass white 3 piece suit and/or weird white hooded cowl/cape with gadgets needs to be made.

On 26 September 2016 at 11:04, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

"Designated Survivor" S01E01

Really enjoyed episode 1.  Basically all of the Senate + Congress is blown up.  

There is always 1 who is kept separate so this person becomes the president but he is only the Housing Secretary. 

8/10.

IMDB LINK

I've just watched the first two episodes.  It's an interesting idea but it's been a bit cheesy, though with the occasional flash of Bauer from Kiefer when he got angry with the general bloke livening it up.  His lady assistant is incredibly hot so I think I'll keep watching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Started watching 'The Strain'

Not really my cup of tea in terms of plot but i'll give it a go

It's basically extremely by the numbers at times with every plot twist sign posted and stock card board characters.

But somehow it works and I like it.

Only managed to watch a couple of episodes but not feeling Luke Cage.

All of Netflix's Marvel projects have their slow moments and most have started slow so far, but Luke Cage takes that to the nth degree. It seems to be world building and developing its characters but it seems indulgent. I don't need 5 minutes of barbershop talk to understand some characters better. Also Luke himself, whilst well played by Mike Colter, is a very dull take on the character because they've had to swerve from the comics where he is a near racist caricature for most of his publication history and then shifted more towards ballsy hard black guy who struggled to be more than one half of a 2 man team or eternal supporting character. He's so dull in this so far. And his powers make that worse. Luke Cage is super strong and has unbreakable skin. It makes him boring because there's only specific threats that hurt him (concussive force, poisons, etc) and therefore writing threat into the story is difficult lest you shoot your load too early.

Instead the show switches to being an ensemble, much moreso than Daredevil and certainly Jones, and reducing Cages screentime, as well as doubling down on the Harlem culture thing. This is a show that is in love with  Harlem, and that's laudable absolutely, but if you played a drinking game with a shot every time there was a reference to 'black' or stereotypical black 'gangsta' culture you'd be in intensive care faster than the Withnail drinking game.

Highlights so far though, have been Ali's Cornell 'Cottonmouth' Stokes, who is great with his disarming deep chuckle and his slow, absolute surety in every movement and sudden violence, the look of the thing is great, and when there is some action Luke's completely unshowy no nonsense style is great (though I see even that being dull eventually).

As said, only 2 episodes in so we're still building the plot, but it's all bit boring so far. Not their best on first impressions and gives me some concerns for Iron Fist... That's a show that should be far removed from this but verges on silly where Luke Cage is very straight forward, and represents much greater stumbling blocks. Hmm.

I watched the first episode of Luke Cage and it was ok, but I felt it assumed people had a knowledge of him prior to watching this episode. Perhaps I should have watched Daredevil or Jessica Jones first. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I watched the first episode of Luke Cage and it was ok, but I felt it assumed people had a knowledge of him prior to watching this episode. Perhaps I should have watched Daredevil or Jessica Jones first. 

You don't need to have seen them. He didn't feature in either Daredevil series at all and he's a supporting cast member in Jessica Jones that only gave a (so far) useless bit of backstory for him (his wife's dead) and his powers - he has super strength and unbreakable skin.

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I thought the opposite, I've watched JJ and already been introduced to him I've now got the problem that there's no tie in between the 2 shows, it's hard to grasp where this sits because there's no continuity so far

its started slow that's for sure (I've watched 2 episodes) and I don't think he's as interesting as JJ or DD and cottonmouth is just ok, he's no kingpin that's for sure

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I thought the opposite, I've watched JJ and already been introduced to him I've now got the problem that there's no tie in between the 2 shows, it's hard to grasp where this sits because there's no continuity so far

its started slow that's for sure (I've watched 2 episodes) and I don't think he's as interesting as JJ or DD and cottonmouth is just ok, he's no kingpin that's for sure

Main plot is set after Jessica Jones. Opening 10 minutes of the first episode has a pretty throwaway reference to Luke's rebound girl

Spoiler

shooting him with a shotgun under the chin.

There's flashbacks in later though as they definitely do some of his origin.

Â