Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, KHV said:

Last episode of Fargo was a bit of a let down :(

Very much this. It definitely ended with a bit of a whimper compared to the big bangs that were episodes 8 and 9.

I felt a lot of the characters deserved much more memorable resolutions. Shame, unless season three is going to continue these storylines on somewhat, but I don't really want them to. I like the fact the seasons are standalone yet distantly linked.

Edited by Ginko

I thought I read it in this thread but can't seem to find the post, Allegedly Season 3 is going to be set in 2010 and somewhat less believably focused on "our" selfie obsessed culture.

I agree it was an excellent episode, I was just underwhelmed by the ending. Maybe it's just that the UFO finish to the previous episode had me expecting more of an explanation to the other aspects of the story as you couldn't really expect any resolution on that front. 

Either way I'm still looking forward to season 3.

Peep Show ended just right. The final episode had some wonderful lines. The sly, witty internal remarks have always been the best part of the show rather than the more frenzied situations (although they were frequently brilliant). 

For me, this final series was around an 8/10 (if any series scores a 10, it would be the sublime series 4). 

It was a one of a kind sitcom, I shall miss it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Seems I'm in the minority but I thought the final episode of Fargo was excellent and rounded everything off perfectly.

I'll explain why I was a bit underwhelmed in spoilers.

Spoiler

I think mainly in terms of pacing it was very slow compared to the big shootout in episode 9. Then the only real action after that was Hanzee chasing after Peggy and Ed, and that was short lived as most of it was spent with them in the chiller.

As for characters not really getting the somewhat more spectacular endings some of them deserved, Ed died slowly and rather uneventfully, Peggy goes to prison and quite willingly, Hanzee got away scot-free and I didn't really get the whole deal with him, his knife and the kids in the park so perhaps someone can explain that to me if there's deeper meaning there.

Mike's big reward/lack of comeuppance is... a desk job doing accounting? Though admittedly I did like the fact that this represented the times, that is the shift in the way business was done and the American dream. Then we had Betsy start off the show with some sort of premonition (erm, what? She's psychic now?) and you figured we'd have this moving scene where she died and left Lou and Molly alone... but nope.

I'm glad Hank lived, though I think it'd be more moving if he had died. A passing of the torch onto Lou as he was clearly an influence into the sort of man he ends up being in season one, much like we assume he has the same effect on Gus. As for the whole thing with him coming up with his own language at the end... what? Again, might have missed something there. I was hoping that he was fibbing and it was really a connection to the UFO sightings, like he'd been in communication with them, something to tie them to a character and the events they seemed so interested in observing.

And finally, I thought we might see the last remaining Gerhardt at some point. I know he's in prison or police custody at least, but it would have been nice to see a reaction to his entire family dying, at least, especially to the news of Bear's death.

I didn't dislike it, I just felt quite empty and unfulfilled by it, especially since the entire season had been so good and building to all these things before. Episode 8 and 9 were so brilliant, I just felt like the finale never really got started in comparison.

Still a tremendous show though.

• Like 2

As the season as a whole had been so completely brilliant, I guess the chance that the finale could be a let down didn't even enter my mind. I certainly didn't consider it that after watching it. But your post has made me think about it a bit more. And I agree with you. It was still brilliant but slightly disappointing. It was just kind of 'life goes on'. Which I guess might've been the point.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ginko said:

I'll explain why I was a bit underwhelmed in spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

I think mainly in terms of pacing it was very slow compared to the big shootout in episode 9. Then the only real action after that was Hanzee chasing after Peggy and Ed, and that was short lived as most of it was spent with them in the chiller.

As for characters not really getting the somewhat more spectacular endings some of them deserved, Ed died slowly and rather uneventfully, Peggy goes to prison and quite willingly, Hanzee got away scot-free and I didn't really get the whole deal with him, his knife and the kids in the park so perhaps someone can explain that to me if there's deeper meaning there.

Mike's big reward/lack of comeuppance is... a desk job doing accounting? Though admittedly I did like the fact that this represented the times, that is the shift in the way business was done and the American dream. Then we had Betsy start off the show with some sort of premonition (erm, what? She's psychic now?) and you figured we'd have this moving scene where she died and left Lou and Molly alone... but nope.

I'm glad Hank lived, though I think it'd be more moving if he had died. A passing of the torch onto Lou as he was clearly an influence into the sort of man he ends up being in season one, much like we assume he has the same effect on Gus. As for the whole thing with him coming up with his own language at the end... what? Again, might have missed something there. I was hoping that he was fibbing and it was really a connection to the UFO sightings, like he'd been in communication with them, something to tie them to a character and the events they seemed so interested in observing.

And finally, I thought we might see the last remaining Gerhardt at some point. I know he's in prison or police custody at least, but it would have been nice to see a reaction to his entire family dying, at least, especially to the news of Bear's death.

I didn't dislike it, I just felt quite empty and unfulfilled by it, especially since the entire season had been so good and building to all these things before. Episode 8 and 9 were so brilliant, I just felt like the finale never really got started in comparison.

Still a tremendous show though.

Spoiler

See, I think the reasons I liked it so much was because of the rather quiet way the characters arcs came to an end.

Mike Milligan's story in particular was brilliantly handled. The fantastic way that his speech about 'being the king' transposed perfectly with the later reality of his 'promotion'. Everything about his character, his beliefs and personal dreams of glory, down to the clothes he wore and his hair style was to be dismantled.

I think the fact that 8 + 9 had so much high pace and blood-letting that some (not saying you by the way) may have been expecting it to ramp up even further, and i'm so glad it didn't and instead turned into more of a introspective examination of the remaining characters.

All in all - the absolute best thing on TV this year and a high watermark for the third series.

• Like 1

I think you're right about that too, that the majority of the characters had some unspectacular conclusions to their stories for a more realistic ending and as a thematic type thing. Perhaps they thought it'd be funny to have the dichotomy of the sheer craziness of having aliens involved throughout the story, yet giving the characters endings very much grounded in realism, perhaps overly so in some cases (I'm thinking of Mike in particular).

The first season didn't really do that though and sure, it might not have been the most realistic, but despite the tongue-in-cheek claims made at the start of every episode, it's not a true story. It's TV, drama. It's not meant to be realistic. It's meant to be entertaining.

Edited by Ginko

I thought episode 5 of Peep Show this season was the best - I was practically in tears with Jeremy's 'big musical break' - but it was a strong season overall, much better than the last one. Series 3 & series 4 for me are the very best, but it's been a brilliant show, I'm very sad to see it end. Hopefully we see them again in late middle age in ten or fifteen years time. 

• Like 1

Â