Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Can't see me bothering past the first season of Homeland. Finished it last night and thought the last three episodes were quite flat and overall it didn't grip me anywhere as much as the first episodes had promised.

Plus, i'm not convinced at all by the acting from Damian Lewis and as for Claire Danes? Lord only knows what happened there, I always used to think she had some talent.

Mandy Patinkin was the only real standout, but I can't see me getting through another three seasons just for him.

claire danes gets far worse, its like she did one scene at some point where she cried and got hysterical and the writers enjoyed it so they thought lets do that some more, like 3 times per **** episode!

add to that her story arc in season 2 and 3 was ridiculous

she completely ruined the show 

• Like 1

Can't see me bothering past the first season of Homeland. Finished it last night and thought the last three episodes were quite flat and overall it didn't grip me anywhere as much as the first episodes had promised.

Plus, i'm not convinced at all by the acting from Damian Lewis and as for Claire Danes? Lord only knows what happened there, I always used to think she had some talent.

Mandy Patinkin was the only real standout, but I can't see me getting through another three seasons just for him.

Damian Lewis maybe, but Claire Danes was excellent. She played the role perfectly.

Half way through no offence on c4.

Created by Paul abbot who also wrote shameless, its again set in Manchester but focussing on a police unit looking for a serial killer who targets girls with downs syndrome.

Its pretty good, humoured like early shameless (before it got too silly) with a good underlying plot, running alongside a new story each week.

Was flicking through last night with nothing on caught 10 minutes of some banksy in New York documentary on sky arts, was really good, a fair bit of the yanks not understanding wit but I didn't realise he'd done so much there, got it recorded to watch the whole thing over the weekend

Watched another 3 episodes of Fargo last night. Quality stuff. Is it really a true story though?

No it's a gimmick.

Currently 4 episodes into Bloodline on Netflix.

Loving it so far. Just one of those slow burning dramas where you can just sit back and enjoy the outstanding acting. Similar to Six feet under.

I've liked Ben Mendehlson for a while now but he is really incredible in this.

Not one weak character so far. Great stuff

• Like 1

I think 'based on a true story' is referencing the fact that it's based on Fargo the movie. There's a difference between based on a true story and based on real life events.

I think 'based on a true story' is referencing the fact that it's based on Fargo the movie. There's a difference between based on a true story and based on real life events.

No, Fargo the movie has "based on a true story" (or something similar) at the beginning as well.

The plot of the film is fictional but the Coens claim that it's a mish mash of lots of true stories (murders) thrown together to make one plot.

But as far as I know the TV show is completely made up.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

But I do remember hearing that if a film or TV show has a 'based on a true story' thing at the beginning then it doesn't have to mean that it's based on something that's happened in real life, although most times it probably is.. 'Based on real life events' is something that has happened in real life.

I imagine this shows that you can put "Based on a True Story", or similar, on anything. If there are rules then they must be extremely relaxed.

I remember watching "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", which was "based on a true story". I googled it afterwards and it's not even close to the real story. THere was an exorcism on a girl. That was pretty much the only similarity.

I don't think the name was even the same.

Yep, it's like Texas Chainsaw Massacre being a 'true story' even though it was only very loosely based around Ed Gein. Or The Omen being based on the life of Noel Edmonds.

• Like 4

Anyone been watching Penny Dreadful? Brilliant show

2 episodes behind but yeah i agree, seems pretty underrated with not that many people watching it but its brilliant, lots of interesting side stuff, great main cast, saying that im not convinced by the dorian gray stuff this series

I like it too. This series has been a little slower than the first, but the latest episode was better.

I've only watched series 2 of the wire once, I didn't like it, but I'm watching it again 6 years on, I'm enjoying it now.

I've said this numerous times in this thread, but I have a theory about season 2 of the Wire.

Basically, it's that most people watch season 1 and love it. They think they love it because it's all about the mean streets, drugs, criminals, cops etc etc

They are looking forward to more of the same in the second season.

Then Season 2 comes along and it's about a bunch of white folk arguing over boats and union politics.

And they're all like "wtf is this? Where are all the drug dealers at?"

So first time around, people are disappointed because season 2 isn't what they were expecting so they think it's not that great.

In reality, what's amazing about the wire is the variety and depth of the characters and storylines. And that'ys still there in season 2, you just don't quite realise that the Wire isn't going to be all about the same thing as Season 1 was so it taints it for you.

When you watch it all again the second time round, you already know what season 2 is about so you don't get that taint that it isn't all about drug dealers and the streets. And then you're all like "oh sheeeeeiiiiit. This is actually pretty good!"

I did the same thing. THought Season 2 was a bit meh first time round, then second time I loved it. And lots of other people say the same thing.

• Like 3

Â