Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

i prefer elementary

thought for most of the season it jumped around too much and tried to be too clever

still enjoyed it, it just didnt (maybe couldnt?) live up to the 2nd series and the resulting hype

I prefer Elementary now too. Sherlock still solves crimes in that one.

• Like 4

Lars Mikkelsen needs to be in all things.

Yes, yes he does.

Spoiler about Sherlock -

He's been shot in the head now though, so I can't see him being in many more Sherlock episodes, no one can come back from that can they?...oh, oh wait

:)

yMRAckb.gif

Sherlock was really good.

Yes, it was. Really enjoyed it.

Yep, best of the season for me.

And for me, one of my favourites out of all nine of them.

Had a feeling that was going to happen sooner or later. 

Which bit in particular? :)

Cant believe it will be a year or two till the next episode.

I know, sad times but I think that's been part of their charm; having three episodic films and then a bit of wait. Hopefully it's just the one year (Or less) not two.

You sure 'like' a lot of stuff today, 8p.

Not as much as I like Sherlock! Eh? Eh!? You having that? Probably not.

Just two more spoilerish (One more than the other I think) thoughts about tonight's episode -

Mind Palace is a genuine memory technique and I really enjoyed the two instances it was utilised in this episode.

Both to add a surreal element when Sherlock got shot which added some interesting exposition and also as CAM's big weapon,

I thought it was a good part of the story to have Sherlock seemingly defeated by someone else using a technique he relies so heavily on (Especially in this actual episode) forcing him in to a last resort type action.

Secondly, I still think Moriarty is dead and what we saw at the end of the episode was the beginning of a plan he concocted before he 'bit the bullet'

Theres a live q and A on the Beebs website at the moment with the creators.

Just having a look at that now. Unsurprisingly they're not giving that much away. :D

I thought it was a bit of a let down. Almost a waste of a season for me. Mikkelesen was woefully underused. 

What made you feel that? What type of things do you think they could have added for his character?

Sherlock was a pile of wank.

What about it didn't you like?

it just didnt (maybe couldnt?) live up to the 2nd series and the resulting hype

Yeah, I can see where you coming from there. The episodes of the 2nd series are definitely my top three so far.

Sherlock still solves crimes in that one.

I agree with what you're saying.

For me, and it seems you too, there was nowhere near enough case solving in this one and the majority of the cases this time didn't appear anywhere near challenging enough.

For me, every episode would be -

Client comes in - Tells Sherlock & Holmes their problem - Sherlock and Holmes take case and everything's dangerous and near impossible but they solve it and on to the next crime. :)

Edited by 8pints

For me, every episode would be - client comes in - tells Sherlock & Holmes their problem - Sherlock and Holmes take case and everything's dangerous and near impossible but they solve it and on to the next crime. :)

Nope, that would get way too dull and formulaic. They're doing the right thing by running an overarching story with side stories (essentially the cases) interspersed.

It'd turn into something like CSI, whereas this is a bit more like House (which is appropriate considering he's essentially Sherlock Holmes as a doctor, hence why he's called House. House? Holmes? Get it?) though House is a little more formulaic than Sherlock, but then again they have a lot more episodes in a season.

There'd probably be not much point having both Elementary and Sherlock then. They'd both be too similar.

Edited by Ginko

Lars Mikkelsen needs to be in all things.

:o Troels!

I didn't recognise him. I spent the whole episode thinking he looked like Sven Goran.

Surely you mean Philip! ;) (He was in Borgen too)

I never watched Borgen as it sounded like too much bolitics.

Nope, that would get way too dull and formulaic. 

Oh of course, I know it would be yeah, that's why I put the smiley face. The audience figures would fall dramatically but I'd still watch :D (Unless it got cancelled)

I do like the stories a lot, like I said about Sign of Three, I did enjoy it and found the amusing bits funny and emotional bits involving(ish :P)

But, and I think it ties in with there being so few of them, I always sit there waiting for an insanely near impossible twisting and turning case for them to embark on and I do feel this time there was not enough of that but that's not to say what was in its place wasn't engaging to me.

Edited by 8pints

Tonight's was my least favourite of the series, which, although still better than most of the tripe on TV, fell short of the first two series for me. I still enjoyed it but the episode seemed to peter out once

Mary was revealed to be an assassin - except it was ok that she was an assassin because all that is in the past and John loves danger so mysteriously sensed that the cheery, amicable woman that he married is in fact a psychopath. Seeing as the focus of this series was on the relationships between the characters rather than solving crimes, the way in which the Mary revelation was dealt with was disappointing.

As an aside, these episodes were meant to be shown earlier, and with larger gaps between them, right? I say this because the first episode was set around bonfire night and tonight's was a little festive. Anybody know if the reason they were pushed back, if at all?

8 Pints.

I had a feeling Moriarty would appear somewhere. There seemed to be so little made of his death and not much about his body in the whole series.

Did he fake his death as much as Sherlock did. Obviously Sherlock had his planned in advance but Moriarty was just as clever so why couldnt he.
I hope it actually is him and not someone using his image. I thought he was a brilliant character in it.

Edited by heffoman
  • Like 1

Tonight (In America only unfortunately)...

full_left_column_ArcherE.jpg?1283871928

...but it'll be online to watch tomorrow :D

EDIT - Tell a lie, it's on Monday night in the States, available online Tuesday for the rest of us.

This will be season 5 won't it?

I've only seen the first 3 as they're the only ones on Netflix :(

I thought it was a bit of a let down. Almost a waste of a season for me. Mikkelesen was woefully underused. 

What made you feel that? What type of things do you think they could have added for his character?

I thought they spent the majority of the season trying to be funny, trying being the key word, the bulk of the first episode was taken up with Sherlock coming back, the second the wedding, and tonight seemed like the only really episode that was in anyway true to the first 2 series, which seemed to always have you guessing. I thought the way he survived was all a bit to easy and was looking for something genius, and while it's obvious that the hype didn't help the situation, I can't help but feel a little disappointed by this season. I'll have a re-watch in a few weeks when the dust has settled and I may change my mind.

Edited by Folski
  • Like 1

Well I thought Sherlock was excellent - as was the SH documentary on BBC4 immediately after it. The "wind blowing from the east" line at the end of Sherlock was lifted from one of the Rathbone films, which I wouldn't have otherwise realised. 

Â