Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Are you happy with the club not taking the europa league seriously?

I don't have a big issue really. I personally enjoy watching our younger players in competitive competitions. A reason why I went to watch Brighton at home in the Fa Cup when well getting to VP isn't exactly easy. There is a certain buzz for me seeing the likes of Fonz, Albrighton, Delph performing for Villa.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you happy with the club not taking the europa league seriously?

I don't have a big issue really. I personally enjoy watching our younger players in competitive competitions. A reason why I went to watch Brighton at home in the Fa Cup when well getting to VP isn't exactly easy. There is a certain buzz for me seeing the likes of Fonz, Albrighton, Delph performing for Villa.

I agree with this

Indeed.

If 6th is long term target lovely. But it isn't for me. We've done well despite the millions and millions O'Neill has wasted on crap and paid through the nose for it. It's just sad that I can see exactly the same thing as the last 2 years happening again. It doesn't really matter what happens up to Feb because we'll collapse because the same players will have been played in every competition for 90 mins plus and will be shattered.

So no, I don't find it amusing that people moan about O'Neill's transfers. I find it depressing that we're happy to just take another season of the same mistakes.

100% agree. but you will find many wont. Finishing 6th is great for them. Not only that, theyre happy to watch the most boring football played by a villa side in years.

Sorry don't get this. Where should we be finishing and please explain why :?

We've challenged top 4 two years running now.

1st time, 08-09 - realistically, chances went middle of March.

2nd time, 09-10 - realistically, chances went end of April when we lost to Man City.

We are doing our best to compete ABOVE ourselves but simply fall short, I'm thankful we are in those positions to start with and at least competing above our standard really.

We're not Wigan, we're Aston Villa, there's no way we should be settling for 6th imo we are the 5th most successful club in the history of the english league system. We should be looking to improve like those teams around us are doing such as Man City and Liverpool. Some fans are so negative, it seems like they're happy with Europa League football every season.

No, it's called being realistic.

We've got a great history!?!?! Whoopeeedy **** do to be honest.

"Oh hey there Silva come to Villa, I mean, we have a better history than Man City and we willgive you £60k a week, what more could you want :)"

"Silva, we will give you £120k a week oh and did I tell you about our plans for the likes of Yaya Toure, Adebayor, Tevez, Toure....want me tell you about what we are planning for the future too?"

"but David......look at our history. HISTORY!!!!!"

get the point?

saying we should be competing like Man City is the sort of unrealistic expectations which make our supporters so negative because it can't be done and when it's not done, people moan.

Am I happy with Europa League football every season!?!? Yes.

Do I want Villa to improve on that and push higher!? Yes.

The club, nor the fans are 'settling' for 6th/7th place but we also are realistic. We should aim high as long as you can accept that when you don't reach it, it's not a bad thing.

finishing below our ability is unsatisfactory, i.e. 8th or below. Finishing in the position which our team is ability wise, 7th....is solid. Finishing above our capabilites, in 6th or 5th for me is a good league campaign. finishing 4th is simply unbelievable given the competition.

wow at this though, so you're resigned to finishing 7th at best already? I think that's a terrible attitude to have, there is no reason why we can't finish above Man City next season or at least compete with them, we did a good job of it last season! Imo we have a far better team spirit than Man City which is something you cannot buy!

I understand that they can offer players silly money and they can blow us out of the water but that shouldn't stop us from trying to finish above them, should it?

why are you happy with Europa League every season? I can understand it if it's because young players can gain experience in reasonably high pressure situations

It's not easy for us to get top four in the current situation, it's not football manager. I put us in the same bracket as Everton, a team who should be finishing 5th-7th as we simply don't have the wage budget or the transfer funds to rival Man City, whilst the likes of Liverpool are always going to be a greater proposition for players. Tottenham actually have a very similar setup to us, the difference is they have goalscorers and spend a lot more on wages.

Personally, right now I am happy with the situation, we are improving each year despite losing key players and last season we had a good cup run. People need to remember that only a couple of years ago we missed out on relegation under DOL. I agree the football isn't pretty at times, but we have a style that is effective v most teams, unfortunatley there are games where were are embarrassing but a playmaker and a goalscorer and that can all change.

Of course we have to be ambitious but sometimes I find our fans very unrealistic, and are very quick to turn on a certain player or the manager. I'm not fully in the know but Everton who are in a similar situation have always seemed to back Moyes. Yes they got top four the once but it is obvious the league has improved a lot since then. I believe the lack of a trophy is partly to blame, maybe some fans got used to winning the league title, the European Cup, FA Cup etc... However we have fallen a long way since then and it'll take time for us to reach that level again, if you're not patient silly things happen, and I know I'd much rather be an Aston Villa fan then a Newcastle or Leeds fan for example who splashed out millions without a sensible plan only for it to bite them back in the arse.

I think Villa should go Balls Out to win the Europa Cup, 6th and Semi's translates to nothing!

We need some silverware, and the Europa Cup is the best one to attract players.

Villa is going stagnant, we need to pump some energy into the fringes of club.

History does matter....

To be fair to our manager why should he change his approach to transfers?

How he goes about it seems to work for him.

^^^^ Nail firmly on head ^^^^

Well, you could honestly argue if we have the same frequens on progress or if it is declining. There cant be "signing players to keep a standstill"...anymore. There need to be a further progress or we hugely risk to fall back to a top 8-10 position.

I think Villa should go Balls Out to win the Europa Cup, 6th and Semi's translates to nothing!

We need some silverware, and the Europa Cup is the best one to attract players.

Villa is going stagnant, we need to pump some energy into the fringes of club.

History does matter....

Plus a final.

Fulham came second in that cup last year and I haven't seen many big names talking up moves to join there.

To be fair to our manager why should he change his approach to transfers?

How he goes about it seems to work for him.

^^^^ Nail firmly on head ^^^^

Well, you could honestly argue if we have the same frequens on progress or if it is declining. There cant be "signing players to keep a standstill"...anymore. There need to be a further progress or we hugely risk to fall back to a top 8-10 position.

But Harry Redknapp has had the same policy at Spurs and they've finished top four. The only difference is he had finishers.

He's signed one foreign based player in his time there and that was Sandro who was signed in January.

Huntelaars apparently landed in Manchester

Those of us who live near Birmingham will know how hard it is to get a direct flight to or from Birmingham Chindie. :winkold: But, if he is signing for either Manchester club it would suggest they rate him where many of us on this site had doubts. He might also be on his way to Bolton or Blackburn or have a fast car waiting to get him to Villa Park or it might just be the same guy who was noticed at Villa Park some time back coming back from his summer holidays. :winkold:

there is no reason why we can't finish above Man City next season or at least compete with them, we did a good job of it last season! Imo we have a far better team spirit than Man City which is something you cannot buy!

I understand that they can offer players silly money and they can blow us out of the water but that shouldn't stop us from trying to finish above them, should it?

Who has said we shouldn't try?

There is a chance we could finish above them, however the fact they can buy a squad full of better players than us certainly makes it a small chance. I think everyone wants to finish above city and spurs and finish 4th its just that some of us can see thats its a difficult task to achieve and moaning about not achieving it is just stupid.

wow at this though, so you're resigned to finishing 7th at best already? I think that's a terrible attitude to have, there is no reason why we can't finish above Man City next season or at least compete with them, we did a good job of it last season! Imo we have a far better team spirit than Man City which is something you cannot buy!

why are you happy with Europa League every season? I can understand it if it's because young players can gain experience in reasonably high pressure situations

No. You are not getting it. I am not resigned to finishing 7th, I want Villa to push as hard as they can for a top 4 position next year, however I also realize that we can't expect that. If we finish 6th/7th next season, it will be a good season because that's our capabilities. If you ask an employee to do 100 designs in a day and he does 100 or say 110, you don't then moan because he didn't do 150. Of course, should aim for 150 and hope gt 150 done but that doesn't mean if it's not achieved, you have to be annoyed.

Too many people expect us to just be able to compete with the likes of Man City, it's not a realistic aim when you look at squads, finances, wages etc...yes we can try but i'm not someone to get annoyed because we aren't punching above our weight.

I am happy because with Europa League football because that comes with our league position. if Villa were to set an aim this season, it should be top 4, but again, just because you don't achieve, doesn't mean your failing.

Europa Cup means sod all! It's a mickey mouse cup

So if we got to the Semi's you wouldn't care if we won it or not?

I don't care what we win, I just want Villa to win a trophy!

My preference would be FA Cup, Europa League then League Cup.

I was delighted we won the Peace cup and winning any trophy is part of the clubs history and that defines the season.

Surely this thread about transfer speculation and not discussion on who wants the best for the club. We don't all wish to listening to ramblings so I would ask nicely that you start your own thread or keep it up through pm.

Back on topic, any new speculation?

Let's hope MON and the recriuting staff look outside the square and outside Britain for players because we lack players with flair and real skill and who can give a killer pass.Players from Sth America,Africa,Europe and Asia.

Let's hope MON and the recriuting staff look outside the square and outside Britain for players because we lack players with flair and real skill and who can give a killer pass.Players from Sth America,Africa,Europe and Asia.

i dont understand the obsession with foreign players, id rather have good players regardless of where they come from. Keane and Ireland would do me fine.