Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see KPB and Milner in the middle, with Ash and Ireland out wide. I'm not saying it would definitely work but both are athletic players who will cover a lot of ground and are not afraid to put in a tackle, I would like it to be given a chance. Get rid of this stupid designated def mid!

Is that you, Fabio?

I would like to see KPB and Milner in the middle, with Ash and Ireland out wide. I'm not saying it would definitely work but both are athletic players who will cover a lot of ground and are not afraid to put in a tackle, I would like it to be given a chance. Get rid of this stupid designated def mid!

Is that you, Fabio?

Both are completely different to playing Gerrard/Lampard or Barry/Lampard, it is more a Kheidra/Schweinsteiger, all action pairing.

You been listening to John Giles. All he keeps saying is holding role is a myth

Is that you, Fabio?

Both are completely different to playing Gerrard/Lampard or Barry/Lampard, it is more a Kheidra/Schweinsteiger, all action pairing.

Without a midfielder behind the striker to drop back when needed, I think it'd leave us too open in the middle.

Milner runs off to help the wing and leaves the centre of midfield completely open. If we had another midfielder doing that then people would just walk through the centre circle unchallenged.

Although I do like KPB and think he could be utilised well at Villa.

I saw him after the Germany game but I have always hated it, the "Makelele role" thing always got to me and I hate Mascherano because of how he is now seen as a good player because he runs around a lot and consistently fouls people. You can train a monkey to do his job whereas to be a proper footballer you need some natural talent. Giles' reason that 30 years ago you didn't need a def mid doesn't hold too well imo because the game has evolved. I think Germany showed how well you can do with a team of players willing to do every job, their movement was unpredictable and constant whereas if only one player would ever go forward it is easier to track. As I said , I would like to see it given a go.

Germany have certainly shown that you don't need a designated defensive mid if your 2 centre mids are good enough. Neither Schweinsteiger, Khedira nor Özil could ever be described as defensive or holding midfielders. Sure, you can play with one and most teams do. But you don't have to.

Is that you, Fabio?

Without a midfielder behind the striker to drop back when needed, I think it'd leave us too open in the middle.

Milner runs off to help the wing and leaves the centre of midfield completely open. If we had another midfielder doing that then people would just walk through the centre circle unchallenged.

Although I do like KPB and think he could be utilised well at Villa.

You could be right, and you are using perfect logic that I agree with, however I think Milner will improve further as I feel he is a very willing learner, so with a bit more teaching and and the two of them creating a partnership I think it could work. I think it would make us a more entertaining team too, teams who use these holding players tend to be pretty boring.

clicky - Shaun Wright-Phillips

No quotes or anything similar but linking SWP to us and states it's been reported in the Daily Heil (but couldn't find anything on the Mail website so dumped it in here!)

Quite simply - No thankyou!!!!!

Hasn't he been demanding £100k a week recently??? He'll not get that here, that's for sure (nor anywhere else, come to think about it!)

To be honest about Joe Cole, he looked far more creative than any of the other England players when he was brought on. Maybe it was just a change in team mentality but when Cole came on England looked more dangerous offensively.

He also played very well in the last few weeks of the league season in my opinion; he looked like he was coming back into form from his injury.

I dont remember England having a chance whenever Joe cole came on.

To be honest Jesus and the holy ghost could have come on, we never had a chance or clue. Chances need someone to score it and we had no control shrek ffs.

Right wing, but I have faith that Downing will come good this year.

I hope that he's spent the whole summer being a right winger and learning to cut in onto his left to blast a few shots off.

If not, then maybe a new winger is needed. I don't like the idea of Ash being on the right.

To be honest about Joe Cole, he looked far more creative than any of the other England players when he was brought on. Maybe it was just a change in team mentality but when Cole came on England looked more dangerous offensively.

He also played very well in the last few weeks of the league season in my opinion; he looked like he was coming back into form from his injury.

I dont remember England having a chance whenever Joe cole came on.

To be honest Jesus and the holy ghost could have come on, we never had a chance or clue. Chances need someone to score it and we had no control shrek ffs.

Is it not Joe Cole job to create chances

I will definately not be supporting Villa next year if SWP and Belhadj sign. Are the last few pages of this thread a winde up?

I would be disgusted if these 2 joined Villa.

I will definately not be supporting Villa next year if SWP and Belhadj sign.

I find this hard to believe. That your support is fragile enough to be undone by 2 signings. Barton I could possibly understand the outrage, though I'd still support the club while losing a lot of respect for the manager.

I will definately not be supporting Villa next year if SWP and Belhadj sign.

I find this hard to believe. That your support is fragile enough to be undone by 2 signings. Barton I could possibly understand the outrage, though I'd still support the club while losing a lot of respect for the manager.

It was meant a bit tongue in cheek. Of course Id still support them. I said it because I have every faith that Martin O'Neill wont be so stupid