The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

If Freiburg beat Borussia Mönchengladbach later and Union Berlin hang on to their lead in Cologne, the Bundesliga top two after six rounds will be Freiburg and Union. That’s pretty f***ing cool. 

Villa aside, I’d almost rather watch the Bundesliga than the PL these days. Not that I had much of a choice in the matter this particular weekend. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Streich done a fantastic job there.

Pretty interesting character, too. Rides his bike to home games and politically outspoken. Been in charge for 11 years. Not your typical top league manager. 

14 minutes ago, El Zen said:

If Freiburg beat Borussia Mönchengladbach later and Union Berlin hang on to their lead in Cologne, the Bundesliga top two after six rounds will be Freiburg and Union. That’s pretty f***ing cool. 

Villa aside, I’d almost rather watch the Bundesliga than the PL these days. Not that I had much of a choice in the matter this particular weekend. 

Neither are overnight wonders either, both played in europa in recent seasons and Freiburg also got to the cup final last season and should've won it given how long Leipzig had 10 men.

Both taken advantage of the traditional 4th-7th teams of Schalke, Stuttgart, Hamburg and Bremen all declining in last decade and getting relegated. Wolfsburg and Leverkusen also had poor starts so not impossible one of them could have a serious chance of making CL if the top 3 is still very likely to be Bayern Munich, Leipzig and Dortmund.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Very cool to see Union at the top of the league right now 

My brother and I have a very amicable Union/Hertha rivalry going (we otherwise have common ground in St. Pauli.) 

I’ll have bragging rights there for a while, I think. 

5 hours ago, El Zen said:

My brother and I have a very amicable Union/Hertha rivalry going (we otherwise have common ground in St. Pauli.) 

I’ll have bragging rights there for a while, I think. 

I think Hertha are slowing starting to turn things around under Schwarz after years of mismanagement and club and boardroom level.

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

I think Hertha are slowing starting to turn things around under Schwarz after years of mismanagement and club and boardroom level.

are they really though? They only stayed up last season as Hamburg bottled it and have been humiliated constantly by the local rivals who have nowhere near the resources they have

The best thing for them was to go down last season to get the club cleared out

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

are they really though? They only stayed up last season as Hamburg bottled it and have been humiliated constantly by the local rivals who have nowhere near the resources they have

The best thing for them was to go down last season to get the club cleared out

I think you're in a better position to judge than me, but I think they're definitely playing a much better brand of football than the past couple of seasons. They are at least watchable at the moment. 

I'm not saying they are going to catch Union anytime soon, but I think they've started to turn the ship in the right direction, despite being hampered by self inflicted financials restraints from the last few years of mismanagement. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hornso said:

I think you're in a better position to judge than me, but I think they're definitely playing a much better brand of football than the past couple of seasons. They are at least watchable at the moment. 

I'm not saying they are going to catch Union anytime soon, but I think they've started to turn the ship in the right direction, despite being hampered by self inflicted financials restraints from the last few years of mismanagement. 

Problem is they just throw money at things and nothing happens. They probably needed a relegation to get the house in order

On 18/09/2022 at 12:47, bobzy said:

Bayern lose away at Augsburg to slip to 4th. Winless in 4 games. 

Could be wrong but sure I read that Bayern have never gone four league games without a win since Bundesliga was formed in the 60s.

Would love Dortmund or Leipzig to reel off 5-6 wins before world cup to put really big pressure on them but can't see it. Leipzig up and down and think this is weakest Dortmund in final third for over a decade.

Leverkusen and Wolfsburg have had really poor starts so they won't be factors this season either.

Edited by VillaChris

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2022 at 17:33, The_Steve said:

Nyland’s off to Leipzig after their keeper did their ACL. What an agent this guy has. 

He does, actually. Jim Solbakken, Ole Gunnar’s agent/buddy. Guy’s a crook, but very good at what he does. 

• Like 1

The Rheinderby is delivering so far. Borussia leading Köln 2-1 in a cracking half that has involved two pens, a red card and Marvin Friedrich scoring with his back. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Hertha vs Freiburg the crappest 2-2 imaginable

Hertha keeper is worse than Nyland

And with that result, Union are top of the league after a deserved 0-1 win away at Stuttgart. 

Â