Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

7 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

While the attention is all on Anderson today and whether he'll edge ahead of McGrath in total wickets I think it's worth noting for anyone too young to remember him that McGrath was something else and whatever their total wicket hauls, their averages tell the tale. Taking nothing away from Jimmy it's a huge achievement and a great career like Cook.

Since the West Indian quicks from my youth though McGrath is undoubtedly the best quick bowler there's been imo.

McGrath was a big sook, 

A good bowler yes, also a poor sportsman.

I think he go made to look a lot better because Warne applied a lot of pressure from the other end.

I have to give some respect, but I will always think of McGrath as a massive flog!

Glad Jimmy has overtaken him....

32 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I adore Jimmy Anderson, but if I was picking a world XI, I'd go for McGrath every time. Line and length like a metronome.

I agree, McGrath was miles better than Anderson in all conditions. An arsehole but a genuine great. 

Edited by villa89

14 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

McGrath was a big sook, 

A good bowler yes, also a poor sportsman.

I think he go made to look a lot better because Warne applied a lot of pressure from the other end.

I have to give some respect, but I will always think of McGrath as a massive flog!

Glad Jimmy has overtaken him....

Other way around for me.

Warne got so many wickets because batters were frustrated that they were getting nothing from McGrath's consistent delivery and tried to hit out against Warne at the other end. Warne's lofted deliveries might have looked more hittable but ended up snaring many batsmen.

They probably needed each other to be as successful as they were.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Other way around for me.

Warne got so many wickets because batters were frustrated that they were getting nothing from McGrath's consistent delivery and tried to hit out against Warne at the other end. Warne's lofted deliveries might have looked more hittable but ended up snaring many batsmen.

They probably needed each other to be as successful as they were.  

Very fair point! I can't deny the quality of McGrath's bowling just a shame he is a flog....

Kent have beaten Middlesex.

Sussex need a big score in their second innings to keep pace with the top 2. Durham racking up a score.

The commentators at N-hants/Derby just said "They'll want Leics to do them a favour"........then both fell about laughing :D

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Craig Miles took 2 wickets in his 1st over today for Gloucs. One first ball too. Glamorgan were 0-2. Recovered to 6-3 by lunch though so that will cheer the fans! removed Carlson in his second over.

At lunch his figures are 3 for 0 off 10 balls :D

I had no idea Warwickshire have signed him up for next season when I posted that too :D

4 for 23 off 7 overs with 2 maidens so far today

Sussex blew it today at Durham. Hard to see Kent slipping up against Glamorgan. Warwks win against Sussex and you'll both be heading up imo.

You're by far and away the best team that's been down here for the last 5 or 6 years imo. Kent have a stellar bowler.

14 hours ago, villa89 said:

I agree, McGrath was miles better than Anderson in all conditions. An arsehole but a genuine great. 

Miles better in all conditions? Exaggeration much?

Overall McGrath the better bowler, but both superb, and two of the most accurate bowlers of all time. I think Jimmy's control of the swinging ball is as good as anyone, I'd say he's better than McGrath in this respect.

Â