Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

39 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Absolutely no need for England to be batting here. Wasting our own time.

You were saying? :crylaugh:

India, 2/3 already, golden duck for Kohli and two for Anderson. One more for Jimmy and he's beaten Glenn in test wickets, **** me. 

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

You were saying? :crylaugh:

India, 2/3 already, golden duck for Kohli and two for Anderson. One more for Jimmy and he's beaten Glenn in test wickets, **** me. 

Yes because saying England shouldn't be batting even though the lead was past 400 with 3.5 sessions left is a totally ridiculous thing to say... ?

Sorry, I wasn't laughing at the comment, though it wasn't clear, more the fact in spite of the extended batting we've still got India 3 down in 10 minutes. Poor comms on me there :) 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

An almost perfect days cricket, a truly historic day that will be talked about on TMS in 50 years time. So pleased for Cook(y). India were magnificent gentlemen, much kudos and respect to them. Cook, thanks, it’s been a pleasure. Get on your tractor lad.

Edited by LillisGotUsUp
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

Tubbs, Pidge, Binger, Punter, Slats, Tugga,...Aussies are (I know it's a low bar) probably better at nickos than Poms. 

Normally it's a simply y/ie or o at the end of the name though - Warnie, Hughesy, Boonie, Finchy, Maxy, Lynny, Watto, Healso... Mind you, you've gotta love that Nathan Lyon's nickname is Gary!

• Like 1

While the attention is all on Anderson today and whether he'll edge ahead of McGrath in total wickets I think it's worth noting for anyone too young to remember him that McGrath was something else and whatever their total wicket hauls, their averages tell the tale. Taking nothing away from Jimmy it's a huge achievement and a great career like Cook.

Since the West Indian quicks from my youth though McGrath is undoubtedly the best quick bowler there's been imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

While the attention is all on Anderson today and whether he'll edge ahead of McGrath in total wickets I think it's worth noting for anyone too young to remember him that McGrath was something else and whatever their total wicket hauls, their averages tell the tale. Taking nothing away from Jimmy it's a huge achievement and a great career like Cook.

Since the West Indian quicks from my youth though McGrath is undoubtedly the best quick bowler there's been imo.

Almost seems a shame to lump the three types of bowlers you’ve mentioned under the same bracket. 

If you want out and out pace then you’d go with a West Indian (Marshall being he correct choice) but if the ball was swinging hoops or reversing I’d want to throw it to Jimmy. McGrath did have have a control and ability to land it on the proverbial sixpence though that maybe has never been seen before or since. 

• Like 1

It's been a magnificent series. Test cricket on form is amazing. 5th day, dying light, just one wicket to go and SMASH! :hooray:

Jimmy the record breaker, Cookie the monster records breaker, wins, fighting spirit on both sides, great bowling and batting - a tip of the hat to Rahul and Pant, and a lovely spin wicket from Rashid to get Rahul, and then young Sam Curran showing his talent too. Team effort throughout. Lovely stuff.

Burns now making 77 at the moment, and surely booking his flight to Sri Lanka as we speak too.

• Like 2

Â