Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Just now, tonyh29 said:

fixed 

hah. he is like a goat. like he has eyes and stuff, but when you look deep into them, there is absolutely nothing going on within their depths,

• Haha 1

On 24/07/2023 at 03:21, KentVillan said:

Yeah I agree. When you lose 2 tests in a 5-test series, the idea that it all hinges on bad weather in one of the tests is a bit weak.

I do think it's a shame there isn't a better way to resolve situations like this, as we were clearly going to win this one, but that's a separate topic.

The previous 3 tests could have gone either way. This one we totally dominated and to loose almost 2 days to rain is very unfortunate. So yes I feel agreived especially with the Bairstow dismissal at Lords which could have affected the result.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

The previous 3 tests could have gone either way. This one we totally dominated and to loose almost 2 days to rain is very unfortunate. So yes I feel agreived especially with the Bairstow dismissal at Lords which could have affected the result.

We made bad tactical decisions in the first test, and probably should have been more willing to accept the draw (while still playing attacking cricket). Tried to force a result when we didn’t really have the bowling attack to force it, and the declaration was just irrational.

Second test we clearly deserved to lose, regardless of the Bairstow stumping. That Stokes knock made it look much closer than it was.

Third test could have gone either way, but think we deserved it.

We should have been going to Old Trafford at 1-1, and then yes it would have been bad luck to not win because of the rain, but we’d have still had the Ashes to play for at the Oval.

I don’t think there’s an awful lot to feel aggrieved about, besides the weather, and maybe the scheduling of the wettest cricket ground at such a key point late in the series.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We made bad tactical decisions in the first test, and probably should have been more willing to accept the draw (while still playing attacking cricket). Tried to force a result when we didn’t really have the bowling attack to force it, and the declaration was just irrational.

Second test we clearly deserved to lose, regardless of the Bairstow stumping. That Stokes knock made it look much closer than it was.

Third test could have gone either way, but think we deserved it.

We should have been going to Old Trafford at 1-1, and then yes it would have been bad luck to not win because of the rain, but we’d have still had the Ashes to play for at the Oval.

I don’t think there’s an awful lot to feel aggrieved about, besides the weather, and maybe the scheduling of the wettest cricket ground at such a key point late in the series.

Yes but saying the Stokss innings made it closer than it was is like saying the Marsh innings gave them edge. Thats what great players do. They outbowled us and caught better because we picked the wrong team.  Guess there was Lyon too though. 

Maybe I'm just disappointed that the last test is sort of meaningless.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes but saying the Stokss innings made it closer than it was is like saying the Marsh innings gave them edge. Thats what great players do. They outbowled us and caught better because we picked the wrong team.  Guess there was Lyon too though. 

Maybe I'm just disappointed that the last test is sort of meaningless.

Of course, but the Stokes innings came when everything was already looking desperate and the game was pretty much done and dusted. He valiantly made it look closer, and made the Bairstow stumping look more consequential.

Agree though, it is a massive shame that this hasn’t gone to a decider. Two well matched sides, especially with Lyon out.

• Thanks 1

Watching Duckett and Crawley bat at times like watching a toddler on top of a wall next to a crocodile enclosure. Can't take your eyes off it but it's nerve-shredding stuff

4 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Watching Duckett and Crawley bat at times like watching a toddler on top of a wall next to a crocodile enclosure. Can't take your eyes off it but it's nerve-shredding stuff

Yep they're both 1 ball from completely shitting out or 50 balls from hitting 100.

There ends Ducketts innings in classic style, being caught down the leg side. Is there a cricketer that keeps getting out down the leg side more? Feels like he gets out once per match on the leg side 

About 10 minutes ago I had to restrain myself from coming on here and posting we'd made a brilliant start.

No need to have kept the powder dry really.

Dangerous now.    from a good start we could be in line for a collapse if one of these goes cheaply now.  And I don't trust Ali to not go cheaply unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Dangerous now.    from a good start we could be in line for a collapse if one of these goes cheaply now.  And I don't trust Ali to not go cheaply unfortunately.

Or Root 😩

Root gone, Ali will be gone shortly and Brook looks like he wants to get out for 23 too. This could be all over pretty quickly

Â