Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Another win for the bears tonight by 4 runs against Yorkshire, currently got a cracking game on sky Surrey v Middlesex, Surrey getting 252 against a Middlesex team who ain’t won a game yet needing 10 from 8 to win 

I’m on my way home from the oval , Surrey doing Surrey things again … should have scored 270 plus but showboated for big hits and lost too many wickets 

ended up being below par despite scoring over 250 runs !! But cracking game and great batting from Middlesex 

Watching Will Jacks  crack 5 sixes off the first 5 balls of an over only to end with 31 from it and being disappointed, gotta love 20/20  cricket  :) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

If Stokes was fit to bowl and we had a balanced attack we could maybe  afford to tinker with the batting and bring Foakes in but I think we are stuck with Bairstow as keeper for the time being 

This is a fair point, but I think you still have to look at the gulf in quality between Foakes and Bairstow with the gloves, and regardless of how many bowlers or batsmen you want, IMO the maths still favours Foakes. I think Foakes (who isn't a bad batsman by any means) is saving you more runs than you're conceding by swapping a batsman out for him. It depends on whether you think Bairstow will improve through the series I guess (he probably will...)

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

the selectors should all have handed in their resignation for this decision 

I get the argument that we have no one else  , but Ahemed ( 7 wickets in one test) , Dawson ,Jacks ( 6 wickets in one match) and Bess   are all currently playing red ball cricket without getting blisters that stop them from bowling 

Tricky one because Moeen actually bowled well, and is a very dangerous batsman who's very in keeping with the approach. Maybe we should have rationed out his overs a bit more over the course of the match... Root was looking useful throughout.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

This is a fair point, but I think you still have to look at the gulf in quality between Foakes and Bairstow with the gloves, and regardless of how many bowlers or batsmen you want, IMO the maths still favours Foakes. I think Foakes (who isn't a bad batsman by any means) is saving you more runs than you're conceding by swapping a batsman out for him. It depends on whether you think Bairstow will improve through the series I guess (he probably will...)

Tricky one because Moeen actually bowled well, and is a very dangerous batsman who's very in keeping with the approach. Maybe we should have rationed out his overs a bit more over the course of the match... Root was looking useful throughout.

Yes agree on  mooen he could have been a real factor second innings if managed better first innings. He does give it a rip but goes for runs too.  I don't think it was a bad selection at all because you don't loose the ability to bowl the longer format in your mid 30s and he's got close to 200 test wickets 

Agree with you on Foakes but Bairstow has been sensational with the bat so has ti keep his place.

a great knock to get to 228

the combined we hate Villa more than you, Cov, the shits, Tesco and dog heads singing shit on the Villa ....(they just can't help themselves can they?)

and to shut the lot of them up, an even louder come back with the Villa lads singing Holte Enders in the Sky 👏👏👏

• Like 2

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

the combined we hate Villa more than you, Cov, the shits, Tesco and dog heads singing shit on the Villa ....(they just can't help themselves can they?)

and to shut the lot of them up, an even louder come back with the Villa lads singing Holte Enders in the Sky 👏👏👏

Absolutely fabulous that was. Trying to explain to my mates 10 year old son why people were singing about Aston Villa at a cricket match was fun...

Another good match from the Bears - had a couple of slow overs in the middle, and thought they'd blow 200 again but then Mousley at the end was👌  Bowled well too - having a block of spin overs in the middle of the innings seems to be working very well.

All set up the annual Quarter Final batting collapse 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

Haha. That was quite something from where I was sat the other side of the ground. A shit on the villa like these morons often do on nights like this, followed as you say by a much louder holte enders in the sky in response.

I really dont get the need for football chants at these games though. Theres obviously masses of fans of each on both crickets sides which makes it even more rediculous.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Honestly, **** football fans and their shit chants at the cricket.  .

An example of this might be, individuals in the Hollies Stand last week singing to Nathan Lyon; "You're just a Sh*t Moeen Ali". Do these people actually know anything about cricket or just come to drink all day !!

4 hours ago, veloman said:

An example of this might be, individuals in the Hollies Stand last week singing to Nathan Lyon; "You're just a Sh*t Moeen Ali". Do these people actually know anything about cricket or just come to drink all day !!

That's an interesting one - I've always considered my attendance at a sporting event with a level or partisanship as being as a participant, this isn't a play or a film, I have a job to do there in order to help my team win - that job consists of two things - to support my team and help give them the confidence and drive to win, and to put off the opposition using whatever means I can, within normal social boundaries.

If being called a "Sh*t Moeen Ali", no matter how ridiculous it is, actually throws Nathan Lyon off his rhythm, or makes him just that tiny bit less effective, then the crowd in the Hollies are doing their job very, very well. it doesn't matter that Lyon is a world class cricketer, what matters is whether you can get under his skin.

Sports support is one of those areas that seems to be becoming a manicured, gentrified, sit on your hands and applaud politely thing and I'd hate to see football especially, but Ashes cricket too becoming this sort of modern bland of polite applause and good wishes.

The taunting of Mitchell Johnson by the Hollies that completely got under his skin and helped drive England to a key test victory was some of the finest sports support you'll see - I'd hate to see that disappear from the game.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

but Ashes cricket too becoming this sort of modern bland of polite applause and good wishes.

The taunting of Mitchell Johnson by the Hollies that completely got under his skin and helped drive England to a key test victory was some of the finest sports support you'll see - I'd hate to see that disappear from the game.

The exact opposite is happening.  In England it was never like it is now 20 years ago. It was more gentile. I’d say the opposite direction has happened in Aus, in that while it’s still partisan, it’s less abusive and more supportive.

Call me a traditionalist, but I prefer the Raglan side of the ground. I was there for the 2013 game you mention, and yes it worked. I was also at Adelaide when he completely blew England away and that Atmosphere was fantastic, too. It was a privilege to be there for that performance.  I think I’m saying that I go to cricket for the actual game itself and not for 8 hours of drinking and chanting.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Call me a traditionalist, but I prefer the Raglan side of the ground. I was there for the 2013 game you mention, and yes it worked. I was also at Adelaide when he completely blew England away and that Atmosphere was fantastic, too. It was a privilege to be there for that performance.  I think I’m saying that I go to cricket for the actual game itself and not for 8 hours of drinking and chanting.

Aye, that's fair, and I think that Johnson's revenge is an important part of the story that, if anything, makes it even better from a sporting point of view. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for a non-stop lairy boozed up festival of abuse, I love the respectful element in cricket too, the applause of an opponents hundred, the good natured humour between a fielder on the boundary and the crowd behind them, I just think there's room for all of it and I think all of it adds to the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Aye, that's fair, and I think that Johnson's revenge is an important part of the story that, if anything, makes it even better from a sporting point of view. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for a non-stop lairy boozed up festival of abuse, I love the respectful element in cricket too, the applause of an opponents hundred, the good natured humour between a fielder on the boundary and the crowd behind them, I just think there's room for all of it and I think all of it adds to the game.

Another thing, just on the ambience at cricket, but I’ve been to watch test match cricket as a neutral, too and the India fans make a fantastic din, with the drums and music and stuff, so yeah absolutely love that it’s “alive” when you go to the games and that the spectators are an active part of it, but I don’t want it to be like football where so much of the sound is abuse of officials and opponents.  Ribbing is fine, like you say, but keep it the right side of the line.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nathan Lyon off his rhythm, or makes him just that tiny bit less effective, then the crowd in the Hollies are doing their job very, very well.

Yes , I see what you mean. Doesn't always work though; witness the Aussies winding the Indians up in Australia and see what happened.   It was probably the stupidity of it that struck me.

• Like 1

I was in the hollies day 1 & 2 and got absolutely arseholed day one and weirdly didn't feel like a drink day 2.

Cricket banter is good because it's good in nature and not as tribal as football.

I obviously adore football, but football chants at edgbaston is really cringeworthy and out of what cricket is all about.

• Like 3

Thing about cricket chants is (usually) they don’t feel directed at the other set of fans as a challenge to fight. They aren’t (usually) accompanied with several thousand men all simultaneously doing the rocket polisher sign, eyes popping out their bald heads.

The sound of “Same old Aussies, always cheating” ringing round the ground always makes me chuckle.

The Mitchell Johnson saga was also very funny.

It’s a long day in the field and I imagine a bit of music and chanting from the Barmy Army actually lifts the players’ spirits sometimes.

Definitely not a fan of football chants at cricket though. Weird.

• Like 2

Â