Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Got a HUDL2 recently and been pretty impressed so far.

Fairly simple to set up, decent internet connection, easy to download games etc. Also has a great child safety feature on there if you have kids that want to use it/have it. Only problem so far is the battery takes a while to recharge but a small thing considering the price.

Got a HUDL2 recently and been pretty impressed so far.

Fairly simple to set up, decent internet connection, easy to download games etc. Also has a great child safety feature on there if you have kids that want to use it/have it. Only problem so far is the battery takes a while to recharge but a small thing considering the price.

I haven't noticed this and will try to do some testing. What are you charging it from?

My Nexus 5 has gone haywire.

It's constantly restarting.

I get the Google logo flash up, then it immediately switches off again. That is just happening over and over again.

Occasionally I get as far as the swirling Android logo, and sometimes it will switch off for a longer period of time, but I seem to have no control over it.

Anyone experienced this?

My Nexus 5 has gone haywire.

It's constantly restarting.

I get the Google logo flash up, then it immediately switches off again. That is just happening over and over again.

Occasionally I get as far as the swirling Android logo, and sometimes it will switch off for a longer period of time, but I seem to have no control over it.

Anyone experienced this?

Last couple of weeks I get my nexus 4 out of my pocket and its switched itself off, no idea how or why. Happened about 6 or 7 times.

Sounds very strange. Does adb work?

I don't know what adb is.

I assumed my power button was stuck or something but having googled it I don't think it's that.

Here's a video I found on Youtube of the problem. Exactly the same for me except it was doing it for me even when it wasn't plugged in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEixpssggCY

As you can see on that you can't even see the restore screen for long enough to boot it in recovery mode so couldn't do a reset or anything.

Anyway, I managed to button bash the restore screen and actually get the phone started. Currently doing a factory reset so we'll see if that works.

Edited by Stevo985

Sounds very strange. Does adb work?

I don't know what adb is.

Android Debug Bridge. Sorry, I made the assumption that s a nexus owner you were used to hacking stuff. Never mind.

Nope. Never heard of it. The factory reset is about the most hi tech thing I've ever done with my phone!

Anyway, it seems to have worked for now.

Also nice to see that Android now has that proper back up restoration thing. So when you've done a factory reset (or got a new phone) it fully restores it to your "new phone". You don't have to go in and download all your apps again on your own.

It's done that for me for several years now. It's one of those settings which people often say no to during the initial config and then never go back to. I'm pretty sure my N4 did this the first time I booted it. It even picks up Wi-Fi keys.

Assuming you trust Google, let them back up everything. And turn on two factor authentication on your Google account. I can't stress this strongly enough; passwords on their own are not adequate security for anything you care about.

• Like 2

Are you sure that "SIM free" and "Vodafone" go together in that sentence? I suspect it's been branded but they've not but this information on their (terrible) web site yet.

I'll be expecting several reports of your experience with it. It's with a heavy heart I passed on that thing.

First impression.

Well, it comes with encryption enabled by default which made it slower than my Z Ultra. I know encryption is a good thing but bloody hell. Turned it off and the thing flies.

The camera is really good. But I'm used to a substandard one so anything is better really. Very happy with it so far. I'll try to post an image later on when there is daylight.

I'm was not a fan of the LCD-density setting, everything looked overblown and i want space, and to change that root is required. So I did. Very happy now.

Otherwise its a solid solid phone. Can't really comment on size as for me this is a downgrade.

• Like 1

Correction: it is locked to vodafone, you will Ned an unlock code which ranges from £0-£20 so total price could be £310. Still a good price.

Edited by Ingram85

I am entitled to a new phone Monday as my 3 contract has finished. I'm currently paying 28 a month for a Samsung galaxy 2 mini which I've been happy with except the last 2 months where I charge the battery to 100% but if it gets to 80% it switches off.

Any decent androids out there I could get as a replacement/upgrade?

I'm rocking the HTC One M8 at the moment and if reports are to be believed it'll have Lollipop in the next few days. Great phone, really rapid with whatever you want it to do, if you like listening to music from the phone then I believe it has unparrallelled sound quality and volume (compared to the Xperia Range, Nexus 5 and Samsung as I've used all!), okay the camera isn't the best int he world, but it does it's job and the selfie/alternative camera is a whopping 5mp... The other great thing about it is that it had a Micro SD tray. It's such a simple thing to add to a phone and it just gives you much more flexibility. The look and design is absolutely gorgeous, only draw back with the aluminium back is that it will slide about on surfaces (like the passenger seat on your car) more than other phones, still only one of a few negatives.

The only other real negative is HTC insisting on their ugly Sense UI, I'm not a big fan, but it seems that other people really like it so it's down to personal preference.

Battery life.. Really good, you can get a couple of days average use out of a full charge, blows the Nexus 5 out of the water on that front (I've had one of them!).

HOWEVER!

The HTC Hima (M9) is due to be unveiled, possibly this month so if you want to go super premium hold off for a few months! Otherwise, you won't be disappointed with the HTC One M8.

• Like 1

The last two HTC flagship handsets have been released in March, I'd expect the next one (the M9) to do the same.

I jumped from Android to iOS this week because nothing leapt out at me on Android at the moment. I seriously considered the Sony Z3 and the new Moto X though. Go have a look at those two and/or check reviews.

http://m.youtube.com/user/marquesbrownlee

Marquee Brownlee makes some good content when it comes to reviews. He's definitely an Android guy, I totally respect his opinion.

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Â