What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Why don't they go and get players like him then instead of our bastard players all the while.

Is that rhetorical?

Well, can you answer it?

Because he (and players like him) wouldn't go to City and because teams like Barcelona are after players like him. Players like that demand Champions League. So City, at the moment, have to try and buy the best players from teams outside the Champions League or else pay ridiculous wages to bring disenchanted players like Robinho, Adebayor or Tevez away from CL teams.

Spot on BOF and seeing as two of those three haven't exactly worked out very well its not surprising they are looking at the likes of Milner.

I'm just waiting for Man Utd to join in the race.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't they go and get players like him then instead of our bastard players all the while.

Is that rhetorical?

Well, can you answer it?

Because he (and players like him) wouldn't go to City and because teams like Barcelona are after players like him. Players like that demand Champions League. So City, at the moment, have to try and buy the best players from teams outside the Champions League or else pay ridiculous wages to bring disenchanted players like Robinho, Adebayor or Tevez away from CL teams.

Spot on BOF and seeing as two of those three haven't exactly worked out very well its not surprising they are looking at the likes of Milner.

I'm just waiting for Man Utd to join in the race.

For Milner? They can't afford him. Fergie said earlier this week they probably won't sign anyone this summer. They won't fork out £30M...

For Milner? They can't afford him. Fergie said earlier this week they probably won't sign anyone this summer. They won't fork out £30M...

A few points to raise here;

1. I don't believe a word that comes out his mouth, he has said that before then spent money.

2. Fergie has shown before just because another team is bidding one thing doesn't mean that is what he has to pay to land the player.

3. Milner will likely be spending the summer with a number of Utd players and lets just say Fergie has been accused of tapping up players in the past.

If Fergie wants Milner he will be in the running for him regardless of if he can match the spending power of City, don't forget City offered more for Berbatov than Utd and although they may wish they hadn't Utd signed him.

Think it'd be more sensible to get it sorted before the world cup to be honest, but we've never done things quickly so I guess it'll drag on now for the next two months.

Milner’s value will increase if he has a good world cup; he and his agent know that and I suspect he will want to see what Villa have to say after that. Villa if they are tempted to sell or see the inevitiable will wait for his value to rise, and also to see what it flushes out. If Man U are interested they might come in with a lower bid with the knowledge that if Milner moves he can choose where he goes. Man U seem to be a more attractive proposition?

But who knows...

If Man City want the player, then chances are Man City will get the player. They've enough money. They'll just keep throwing it until we give in. And then do similar with wages to Milner. Look at when Chelsea were spending money and the unbelievable amounts they paid for the likes of SWP.

By delaying it is just shortens the time that O'Neill has to try and somehow buy a replacement for the player the ball seems to go through most of the time for the second year running. And he's not the quickest in the transfer market, is he? ;)

If we can get £30m for him I'd be tempted. I'd worry about the effects on the rest of the squad though - what message does that send to them? After all the PR we're fed by the General and Randy about the challenge to the elite, it wouldn't be the right message to send out and indeed, where would we go from there?

I too think it simply has to be 30m-35m!

Not because he's quite as good as that valuation but because

1. If you want to take one of your closest rivals best players you simply have to pay above the going rate.

2. They have made a rod for their own backs ALREADY with the amounts paid for Lescott, DeJong etc..

3. It is now a ridiculously unlevel playing field with the likes of Chelsea & Man City awash with cash so if one of those 2 come in (& as rumours have it both want Milner) then the money simply has to double if not triple to enable clubs like ours to at least try to compete in the transfer market for some players.

Basically the transfer market is inflated because of these clubs so it is only right & proper that they should have to pay way over the odds for players as they are responsible for the crazy prices we will have to pay for adequate replacements anyway?!

This this and more this.

i think he is doing a press conference for england alter and i expect him to say nothing except its in the clubs hands.

but we should not sell before world cup as others have said as if he has a great world cup he will be worth more. i definitely think we should try get richards as part of the deal

i think he is doing a press conference for england alter and i expect him to say nothing except its in the clubs hands.

but we should not sell before world cup as others have said as if he has a great world cup he will be worth more. i definitely think we should try get richards as part of the deal

I dont expect him to comment on it and neither should be.

Press conference is for England and not transfer talk.

Think it'd be more sensible to get it sorted before the world cup to be honest, but we've never done things quickly so I guess it'll drag on now for the next two months.

Milner’s value will increase if he has a good world cup; he and his agent know that and I suspect he will want to see what Villa have to say after that. Villa if they are tempted to sell or see the inevitiable will wait for his value to rise, and also to see what it flushes out. If Man U are interested they might come in with a lower bid with the knowledge that if Milner moves he can choose where he goes. Man U seem to be a more attractive proposition?

But who knows...

If Man City want the player, then chances are Man City will get the player. They've enough money. They'll just keep throwing it until we give in. And then do similar with wages to Milner. Look at when Chelsea were spending money and the unbelievable amounts they paid for the likes of SWP.

By delaying it is just shortens the time that O'Neill has to try and somehow buy a replacement for the player the ball seems to go through most of the time for the second year running. And he's not the quickest in the transfer market, is he? ;)

But the point is; what does Milner want? Milner’s agent will want to get whats the maximum amount of wages from Villa, City or Man U. At the moment he’s a good player; if he has a good WC, his value rises both in terms of wages and price. But I reckon JM is more canny than just going where the biggest wage is on offer; who would he prefer to work with? Where is he likely to play the most? where is he likely to be at the centre of things?

Oh and Man City don’t always get the man... Fabian Delph :D

Would much rather have Onuha.

Would much rather have Onuha.

Would much rather have James Milner.

£20m is taking the proverbial. I think Man City like the most of the media have not read RL's comments in full namely that it was categorically not a sell to buy policy - ideally yes but money would be available if required.

My take is that Milner is a pretty club loyal player and clearly respects MON. He is also a player much admired by RL (according to a contact at VP). All that suggests he is not looking to leave and given the right deal in the summer I think he will stay.

After all City can't offer CL football and for all the money they have spent they have neither built a cohesive side nor have they built a side tangibly better than say ourselves. OK that could change but I don't thing very quickly.

As for the other potential suitors. Too much money for Arsenal, Chelsea possibly but they have a lot of midfielders already so that leaves Man U which is the next best shout. I honestly think they do not have the money. Anything north of say £25m and I think Milner's just too expensive for them.

Clearly if Man City table a crazy offer and that for me at least would have to be £30m plus we would have to seriously consider it but at minimum I think we should be waiting for the Worlc Cup to finish as that could make him even more valuable.

The truth i think milner will be the highest paid villa player by the end of the summer.

Maybe even the first villa player to be on or close to the 100 grand mark.

Villa are building to be in the top 4 not to be a feeder club to clubs who where not even in the top 6! 12 month ago.

NEW NEWS JUST BROKEN!!!

http://tinyurl.com/33ztlp5

""Manchester United are set to step up their pursuit of Aston Villa midfielder James Milner after Manchester City had an offer for the England star turned down, according to a report from The Daily Mirror.

United could be ready to offer Villa Michael Carrick as a sweetener in the deal, according to the report, as they are well aware that even they would struggle to match their neighbours' spending power now.

Doubts over Carrick's form have surfaced this season, whilst United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is also believed to want to reinvigorate his ageing midfield as Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes near the end of their illustrious careers.

Ferguson is a known admirer of Milner, who bagged 12 goals from midfield this season for Villa.

Milner also fits with United's policy of signing players under 27 years old who can be developed and then resold if necessary at an improved price.

Villa are understood to be desperate to keep the 24-year-old but accept that it is going to be difficult with the two Manchester clubs tussling for the England star.

The Villans rejected a reported £20 million bid for Milner from City on Wednesday.

If the player enjoys a good World Cup, it could both boost his market value and make it even harder for Villa to retain his services as the covetous suitors hover.""

Man Utd to enter Milner race & offer Carrick as part of deal

Also City preparing 2nd player plus cash bid!! Link to follow!!

2nd link to new city bid: http://tinyurl.com/38qlbcn

""Manchester City are expected to return with a new bid for Aston Villa midfielder James Milner.

Villa dramatically rejected City's opening offer yesterday as Milner kicked off World Cup training with England.

A Villa spokesman said: "We have received an offer from Manchester City for James Milner and this has been firmly rejected.

"We plan to sit down with James and his representative after the World Cup to agree a new long-term deal and this remains our position."

The Daily Mail says Villa owner Randy Lerner and manager Martin O'Neill insist they are confident of keeping the midfielder but a City bid in the region of £25-30m should be sufficient to secure his signature.

It is also possible that some other players at Eastlands, such as Craig Bellamy, Stephen Ireland and Shaun Wright-Phillips, could be of interest to Villa by way of part-exchange.""

But who knows...

But the point is; what does Milner want? Milner’s agent will want to get whats the maximum amount of wages from Villa, City or Man U. At the moment he’s a good player; if he has a good WC, his value rises both in terms of wages and price. But I reckon JM is more canny than just going where the biggest wage is on offer; who would he prefer to work with? Where is he likely to play the most? where is he likely to be at the centre of things?

Oh and Man City don’t always get the man... Fabian Delph :D

...and don't forget a certain Kaka which just goes to show you that it isn't all about money and lets not forget they're only true superstar for want of a better word couldn't wait to see the back of the place, Robinho, so far all I'm seeing at Citeh with the exception of probably Tevez is a bunch of overrated overpriced overpaid mercenaries with the only thing bigger than they're bank balance is they're ego's and still what have they won?

Carrick would be a Petrov replacement, not a Milner one. As such I'd prefer to get Stephen England from Citeh in a deal + money.