What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Hope he plays Milner on Tuesday against Walsall so I can boo the tosser.

Why? What does it really achieve? He has been honest to his manager and said he wants to move but he has not come out and said it himself. We are going to double our money and have had a good season out of him. But yeah go ahead and boo him I'm sure he'll change his mind.

I dont want him to change his mind. I want him to know he is hated at Villa Park, which if he plays he will then know.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One player who up until this point has never caused any trouble or shown any signs of causing trouble.

One manager who has a track record of falling out with players and just ignoring them, making it seem not his fault.

There is certainly more to this, its not so clear cut.

Milner says he wants to leave to MON, thats it in MON's eyes he couldn't possibly have changed his mind and wanted to talk to MON about it, perhaps deciding he would be on the bench all the time during the World Cup.

His only contact is with our chief exec, what if he wanted to talk again to MON about the playing side?

Nope thats it, your not talking to me you've burnt your bridges.

All theoretical i know, but going by our managers past experience of being stubborn could be true.

Some will find a way of blaming MON for the transfer regardless of any evidence or lack of.

I dont think anybody is blaming MON, I think it is a mere fact that there is more behind this than maybe we will ever know.

Didn't MON come out before the World Cup and say that talks were positive ? He has now come out and said that he wanted to leave before the World Cup. You cannot have both scenarios so he is telling porkies in one of them.

At the end of the day, what will be will be. AVFC was here before Barry and Milner and will be here a long time after they have gone.

UTV

Why? What does it really achieve? He has been honest to his manager and said he wants to move but he has not come out and said it himself. We are going to double our money and have had a good season out of him. But yeah go ahead and boo him I'm sure he'll change his mind.

I dont want him to change his mind. I want him to know he is hated at Villa Park, which if he plays he will then know.

Good grief.

MON's ambiguous wording at the article that came from a 'friend' of his in the Mail makes me think that MON is trying to force Milner into actually saying whether he is either staying or going, thus making life for the rest of the squad easier. Which is probably a good move.

One player who up until this point has never caused any trouble or shown any signs of causing trouble.

One manager who has a track record of falling out with players and just ignoring them, making it seem not his fault.

There is certainly more to this, its not so clear cut.

Milner says he wants to leave to MON, thats it in MON's eyes he couldn't possibly have changed his mind and wanted to talk to MON about it, perhaps deciding he would be on the bench all the time during the World Cup.

His only contact is with our chief exec, what if he wanted to talk again to MON about the playing side?

Nope thats it, your not talking to me you've burnt your bridges.

All theoretical i know, but going by our managers past experience of being stubborn could be true.

Some will find a way of blaming MON for the transfer regardless of any evidence or lack of.

Not really, i quite clearly stated it might not be true just a possible view, ignore that though hey ;)

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who have taken the very diplomatic (and possibly correct) view, that Milner has done little wrong. That Milner is well within his rights to go to a team who undoubtedly have better title prospects than us in the short term, and that we shouldnt Boo him, or really express our disgust at his decision to leave. Obviously this is indeed a very measured and mature opinion, probably the kind of level-headedness that the rest of us should probably aspire to.

However, football is all about passion really isnt it? I think people are well within their rights (even if its irrational to do so) to vent a certain amount of frustration at Milner. I'm pretty upset at the fact that he wants to leave, and my allegiances will always be with the club over any player. Whilst a small corner of my mind thinks, "yes i can possibly understand the motives for leaving" a much, much larger part of my mind thinks, "Sod you Milner, we made you what you are today, and you could show us fans (the ones who paid your wages) some loyalty". Now, on reflection, we all know theres no room for loyalty in football these days, but I do think those of us who are pretty angry about it, could be given a little more room to express our distress at the situation instead of being shot down by those of us who are a little more rational in our thinking.

NB: thats not to say that I'd boo him, because i wouldnt.

Didn't Barry play in a friendly against Walsall in similar circumstances?
Boo'd at the start then clapped when subbed. Just sums up our fans.
How so? By the fact that rather than being a single ubiquitous voice, the fans are actually a collection of individuals, some who booed and some who applauded?

Or..or imagine this.

Milner said he's open for a move to his MANAGER and not the PRESS.

Wow. Imagine that.

What a spectacular thought, why don't you run with it for a while.

Look Milner is trying to save face here, he came across as a model pro, a person who loves his football and now trying to say he's being forced out! All this crap about Randy wanting to sell it's bollocks!

Why? Randy and MON have both said we essentially need to, and will, sell to buy, so where's all this money to buy coming from? And why, if Milner is just a money grabbing Judas, does he give a toss what any Villa fan would think? He wouldn't.

Milner & his agent obviously don't want it known that he wants to leave, there is more than likely loyalty bonus's at stake.

Milner is not leaving for footballing reasons

There is no loyalty bonus at stake, that would only become a factor if he handed in an official transfer request.

I don't believe we need to sell Milner to get some money to buy new players

So can you tell me where exactly would the money come from if we don't sell Milner?

From what i can gather, James Milner is now pissed off as he didnt want us fans thinking that he requested a move, MON thought **** him (and rightly so) im going to make it public and play it straight down the line saying basically ''James has asked to leave, if Man City can meet our valuation he can go''.

Again, why would Milner give a toss what the fans think if he doesn't give a toss what the fans think and just interested in money? Also it's not been said that he “asked to leave” but that he “intimated he wanted to go”, there is a world of difference in those words.

It would be a ridiculous move from the club to try and force him out. If true I'm sure we'll see some angry comments from other players soon.

Would it? Why would it be a ridiculous move from the club to force through a money bags move to get 25 million plus for a player most of us admit isn't worth that? That sounds like a good move. And do you really think that any player would speak out and risk the MON treatment if that were the case?

I don't see why O'Neill would lie about James Milner's stated intentions. If we wanted to sell him we could, it's not as if we'd need to force him out the club to get dosh for him.

MON hasn't lied, the fact is hasn't even explicitly stated what most people think he has. The fact the MON used phrases such as Milner 'intimated' he wanted to go and he 'thinks' he refused a new contract are suspicious in themselves. Plus if Milner was unsure of wanting to go, as all the player interviews suggested, then we couldn't force him to go and bang goes our transfer kitty for the summer. Force the hand, create a rift with some 'implied' comments and then there would seem like little option. Milner goes, we get an amazingly good deal and a big transfer kitty and the club can escape the ire of fans for getting rid of one of our best players whilst Milner shoulders all then blame. The club must be loving the fact that so many fans have swallowed it hook line and sinker. Now open wide everyone and say aahhhhhh.

I doubt that he would alienate one of our best players without what he felt was just cause.

Does 25 million plus for a club that has pretty much stated there is no excess money to spend and that we have to “sell to buy” sound a just enough cause to you?

The lad had 1 good season, could have been a Holte End Hero but has clearly stated that he does not want to be here

Ah well this puts a different slant on the whole thing, can you point me to the quotes where “he clearly stated that he does not want to be here” as I obviously missed those.

Its obvious despite the crap in the media he was talking to man city before the world cup.

The people who don't like O'neill are the ones who are saying he's forcing milner out.

Ah obvious is it, can you point me to the evidence that makes this so obvious? I like MON, but I also think the club are forcing Milner out, I expect MON wants him to stay but also wants some proper cash to spend, so Randy would have said your choice MON, keep Milner and no money to spend, sell Milner and have 25 million plus. MON begrudgingly opts for the latter option judging that he can do more with the cash than with Milner alone. Which IMO is the correct option.

I wouldn't worry too much about what is in todays red tops.

MON spoke of the facts yesterday, Milner and his agent expressed a desire to move on to Man City. Villa will let him go at the right price. JM's agent said that James won't sign a new contract at Villa (in an attempt to scare villa into accepting MC's next offer).

Maybe you should read or listen to the interview again, the only one of those three statements expressed as fact was that Villa will let him go for the right price.

Can't describe how happy and proud I am to see most Villa fans stay behind the club and the manager in a situation like that.

Yes and it would seem most will find a way of blaming the Milner for the transfer regardless of any evidence or lack of.

The point is, is there actually any blame to apportion here? Villa buy player for 12 million, get two good seasons out of him, then sell him on for 25 million. Where's the blame?

It's just that some fans can't face up to the fact that this is what we need to do as a club to progress considering our explicitly stated financial situation and policy. It suits many fans then, despite there being no evidence, to make out Milner and Man City as the bad guys and the club as having their hand forced. Cue some pretty pathetic and unfounded vitriol.

It suits the club to let the gullible fans believe this because then it's a win win situation, loads of money and no blame for getting rid of one of our top players. We wouldn't want to be seen as lacking ambition or anger the fans, this might affect season tickets sales, that would affect the grand plan.

A perfect way to keep people away from answering too, but I will. To answer your question, the money will come from the same pocket as always the last 4 years. Randys. And the man himself said, as I posted in the post you cut away all apart from one line, said so in a pc earlier in the summer and that he would try to do everything he could to make Milner stay. To sum it up, there are money and he wanted Milner to stay. So how does that add up with "we need to sell Milner to get money to buy players"?

And I can't believe that anyone can defend Milner when he's said he wants to leave and blame MON for telling us. Do you love Milner or Villa? It's one thing to understand that he wants to leave and not holding that against him, another to feel that MON treated him wrong when he told the world.

A perfect way to keep people away from answering too, but I will. To answer your question, the money will come from the same pocket as always the last 4 years. Randys. And the man himself said, as I posted in the post you cut away all apart from one line, said so in a pc earlier in the summer and that he would try to do everything he could to make Milner stay. To sum it up, there are money and he wanted Milner to stay. So how does that add up with "we need to sell Milner to get money to buy players"?

And I can't believe that anyone can defend Milner when he's said he wants to leave and blame MON for telling us. Do you love Milner or Villa? It's one thing to understand that he wants to leave and not holding that against him, another to feel that MON treated him wrong when he told the world.

Or you could see it as Milner respected the club and fans enough to not discuss it in the press and MON has discussed it which is of no benefit to anyone.