The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

On 1/20/2018 at 23:21, Wainy316 said:

You missed out.  The late 90s is the reason there is so many wrestling fans in their 30s these days.

I tinkered with wrestling in the early to mid 90's and on and off since around 2004.

But nothing even comes close to the Attitude Era WWF. It was genuinely brilliant. Everything from the wrestlers, the characters, the stories, the crowds. Superb.

Compare that to now and it just seems so shit these days.
I saw the bit of Raw 25 when Stone Cold gave the stunner to Vince. The crowd's reaction is pathetic. It was like a corner being given at a Fulham game.

On 19/01/2018 at 17:33, Rugeley Villa said:

My lad is seriously into wrestling now. I've watched a few with him, and if I'm being honest, I think it's a load of shit. It's not a patch on the late 80s  90s wrestling. When did it get so boring. There seems to be no characters. 

Bang on. It is not a patch how it used to be.

I loved the late 80's early 90's era, Jake the Snake, Mr Perfect, British Bulldog, Tugboat, Macho King, Undertaker. Great gimmicks.

It hit the buffers after about '93 with the Steroid scandal etc, recovering in around late '96 and the beginning of the Attitude era which was also fantastic and a class of it's own.

I lost interest for good around 2002 time and seeing what it is now is just total shite imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Bang on. It is not a patch how it used to be.

I loved the late 80's early 90's era, Jake the Snake, Mr Perfect, British Bulldog, Tugboat, Macho King, Undertaker. Great gimmicks.

It hit the buffers after about '93 with the Steroid scandal etc, recovering in around late '96 and the beginning of the Attitude era which was also fantastic and a class of it's own.

I lost interest for good around 2002 time and seeing what it is now is just total shite imo.

Tugboat was my favourite for some strange reason. Looking back at it now, it was bloody great. 

There is every chance it will be stepping away from PG if Fox wins negotiations to air RAW and Smackdown.

RAW will also be going back to a two hour show if Fox win which will also be an improvement the way things stand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daweii said:

There is every chance it will be stepping away from PG if Fox wins negotiations to air RAW and Smackdown.

RAW will also be going back to a two hour show if Fox win which will also be an improvement the way things stand.

It needs to go back to 2 hours, 3 hours is too much every week. I also find the content to be rubbish in at least one hour of the show as they seem to run out of ideas for 3hours each week 

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Back in the day when they had competition they had to put on the best show possible to make money.  Nowadays they prioritise making money from merchandise and stuff like that and screw the quality.

Oh, they have plenty of competition now. More so than any other time since the turn of the century certainly. 

There are many more examples, but the main one is NJPWs North American expansion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Oh, they have plenty of competition now. More so than any other time since the turn of the century certainly. 

There are many more examples, but the main one is NJPWs North American expansion. 

I don't think WWE see NJPW as competition and if they don't see them as competition then they don't see TNA, ROH, PWG, Defiant or any other promotion.

WWE with competition creates The Attitude Era. WWE with competition creates must-see content every week. Is WWE doing that right now?

During the 90's WWE were terrified by WCW as WCW had higher ratings, equal or better talent, the pull the poach talent and was looking likely to be the premier wrestling company in the World. 

NJPW doesn't exist in WWE's world until they have a weekly US TV show going out live and beating their ratings. When that happens you watch WWE change their tactics.

I personally see NJPW as a threat, but I also see it as a threat that is still years away from being a WCW style threat to WWE and the later it takes for WWE to realise that the better it is for us. 

If the competition is there it's nothing that is concerning WWE as we see in the product each week.

• Like 1

I agree to extent, but I also believe we've already seen WWE take risks based on the increased attention NJPW have had in the last 12 months. 

And with regards to ratings, you're spot on - and the huge increase in NJPW World subs should have them on their toes. I think that's where the next 'ratings war' will be held, rather than specifically on tv. 

Started listening to a new podcast called Wrestle Me.

It's a writer, who is a massive fan of wrestling, and Pete Donaldson from Football Ramble fame, who doesn't dislike wrestling but doesn't watch very much at all and never really has, but has a passing interest.

They're watching every Wrestlemania from start to finish and doing a podcast about each one.

The first one was pretty entertaining. Might be worth a listen.

Once again NXT put on a show that the main roster will struggle to come close to.

That is made all the worse by the fact the main roster only has a 2 hour or less window to put on proper matches given half the show will be taken up by the two Rumble matches.

Going to be an interesting PPV for sure especially to see how the fans react to two Rumbles especially if the first one doesn't deliver in spectacle, spots and surprises.

All in all I think on the WWE side NXT will walk away this weekend yet again victorious, their talent just seem to care more about putting on solid matches.

On 25/01/2018 at 21:13, Daweii said:

I don't think WWE see NJPW as competition and if they don't see them as competition then they don't see TNA, ROH, PWG, Defiant or any other promotion.

WWE with competition creates The Attitude Era. WWE with competition creates must-see content every week. Is WWE doing that right now?

During the 90's WWE were terrified by WCW as WCW had higher ratings, equal or better talent, the pull the poach talent and was looking likely to be the premier wrestling company in the World. 

NJPW doesn't exist in WWE's world until they have a weekly US TV show going out live and beating their ratings. When that happens you watch WWE change their tactics.

I personally see NJPW as a threat, but I also see it as a threat that is still years away from being a WCW style threat to WWE and the later it takes for WWE to realise that the better it is for us. 

If the competition is there it's nothing that is concerning WWE as we see in the product each week.

Absolutely this. They where at their best during the whole 90's near enough when they had WCW to compete with.

When WCW started paying stupid money to washed up names that where being given privy to allsorts is what started it's demise. 

When WWE brought WCW in the end that's when they ruined it for themselves imo.

• Like 1

Â