News story of the day

BOF

19 minutes ago, a m ole said:

This British diver who’s been killed by a shark in Sydney - obviously sad news, but I couldn’t stop laughing at the BBC news quote “Australian authorities are still looking for the shark.”

Lock him up and throw away the key.

there’s a really easy way to avoid being killed by a shark.

In all seriousness though, these stories always annoy me a bit as they seem to highlight our arrogance as we seem to feel that we have a right to be anywhere, anytime on this planet when we do in fact cohabit with all these other species who have as much, if not more right to be in certain places, at certain times.

Like you know, a Great White Shark being in the ocean.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

I believe the policy is to ‘humanely destroy’ Sharks in this circumstance to prevent further attacks if they get a taste for it 😕

Sad, sad story from every angle 

is there scientific reasoning or is it just a hunch they’ll keeping coming back to eat the human? They found his body parts so I assume it’s not done it for sustenance or the flavour.

how are they gonna figure it’s the same shark too

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Should be easy to find him, they've got a description - pointy nose, dorsal fin, sharp teeth. One of his mates will probably dob him in. 

I can’t believe he’d do something like this, he’s always seemed like a Great shark.

10 minutes ago, a m ole said:

is there scientific reasoning or is it just a hunch they’ll keeping coming back to eat the human? They found his body parts so I assume it’s not done it for sustenance or the flavour.

It’s like the Jaws film isn’t it. They’ll kill one at random, and declare the water safe again. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, a m ole said:

No idea on either count honestly, just repeating what I saw on the news.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s like the Jaws film isn’t it. They’ll kill one at random, and declare the water safe again. 

Authorities feel the need to do something / anything in ‘emergency’ situations……even if it’s totally pointless and literally just to appease worried people.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, a m ole said:

is there scientific reasoning or is it just a hunch they’ll keeping coming back to eat the human?

It's purely political

The idea of rogue killer sharks has been disproven numerous times, but continues to influence government policy. Great white sharks can travel over 100km per day, so they'll likely never see the same shark again.

Its mainly to reassurance and protecting tourism

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

It's purely political

The idea of rogue killer sharks has been disproven numerous times, but continues to influence government policy. Great white sharks can travel over 100km per day, so they'll likely never see the same shark again.

Its mainly to reassurance and protecting tourism

It's not like they eat everyday either.  They eat around once every 6 weeks..  

Swindon Town FC are now trying to track down six-year-old Joe, who sent 26p to his favourite player Harry McKirdy. A six-year-old boy has donated 26p to his favourite football player in a heartbreaking letter which revealed his mum couldn't afford to take him to matches.

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/uk/boy-sends-26p-to-swindon-town-footballer-after-revealing-his-mum-cant-afford-to-take-him-to-games-3571539

10 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Swindon Town FC are now trying to track down six-year-old Joe, who sent 26p to his favourite player Harry McKirdy. A six-year-old boy has donated 26p to his favourite football player in a heartbreaking letter which revealed his mum couldn't afford to take him to matches.

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/uk/boy-sends-26p-to-swindon-town-footballer-after-revealing-his-mum-cant-afford-to-take-him-to-games-3571539

You're either in the;

"This is bullshit because how would the 6 year old write that well (to be fair it's good compared to my dumbass kid), stick it in an envelope and post it without mom knowing" crowd.

Or the;

"Get this kid a season ticket for life, because that's the most adorable thing in the world" crowd.

There will be no in-between on this, on Twitter.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You're either in the;

"This is bullshit because how would the 6 year old write that well (to be fair it's good compared to my dumbass kid), stick it in an envelope and post it without mom knowing" crowd.

Or the;

"Get this kid a season ticket for life, because that's the most adorable thing in the world" crowd.

There will be no in-between on this, on Twitter.  

for some reason it reminded me of this classic, worth a listen, I believe @Seat68 and @chrisp65 have it on 12" vinyl 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

there’s a really easy way to avoid being killed by a shark.

In all seriousness though, these stories always annoy me a bit as they seem to highlight our arrogance as we seem to feel that we have a right to be anywhere, anytime on this planet when we do in fact cohabit with all these other species who have as much, if not more right to be in certain places, at certain times.

Like you know, a Great White Shark being in the ocean.

• Like 2

I'm getting pissed off with kids holding up begging signs for players shirts now they've been banned from running on the pitch. 

Why can't people just go to a match anymore? I never went there as a kid asking or expecting anything. 

• Like 2

Â