News story of the day

BOF

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So which ones next. Might have a look around a history museum see what offends me from 300 years ago.

You're obviously welcome to do so. And the circumstances and context will no doubt be taken into account by the jury should your hypothetical actions see you face trial. 

• Like 1

Well for one, the Colston Statue, will still be on display, in a museum called M-Shed which is a stones throw away from where the statue was situated, no one is complaining

Any post that mentions "The politically correct" as an actual group of real -people isn't really worthy of listening to

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

You don't have to agree, you can be as wrong as you want to be, it's your absolute right

Don't' do this, your coming across very arrogant, you did this in the Virus thread. It's a forum with differing opinions, I thought if anyone would know this, you would. You feel it's right that's fine I'm not going to challenge you. Whether the whole BLM is right or wrong is also about  opinions, as is  if you support extinction rebellion, it's your choice.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Don't' do this, your coming across very arrogant, you did this in the Virus thread. It's a forum with differing opinions, I thought if anyone would know this, you would. You feel it's right that's fine I'm not going to challenge you. Whether the whole BLM is right or wrong is also about  opinions, as is  if you support extinction rebellion, it's your choice.

hahaha you just said whether black lives matter on not is a matter of opinion. Like I said, it's your right to be very wrong

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Then you'd be failing to understand the different contexts of museum and statue in a public place celbrating someones life

That argument has been used many times, it was stupid the first time it was tried and hasn't improved with age

Nobody would have had a problem with the statue if it had been taken down and put in a museum

If you’re actually claiming people don’t get angry about the things on display in museums then you need to get your head checked out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

hahaha you just said whether black lives matter on not is a matter of opinion. Like I said, it's your right to be very wrong

I cannot see this in my text sorry. I said BLM itself which is the organisation.

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

If you’re actually claiming people don’t get angry about the things on display in museums then you need to get your head checked out.

We're specifically talking about a particular statue, which will be on display in a museum a matter of a few hundred meters away from it's original position and no one is objecting

My post is quite clearly about that and nothing else so why your post actually exists, I'm unsure

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

We're specifically talking about a particular statue, which will be on display in a museum a matter of a few hundred meters away from it's original position and no one is objecting

My post is quite clearly about that and nothing else so why your post actually exists, I'm unsure

Clearly nobody will care about this particular statue being on display in a museum now - it’s a sign that the protestors won. The history of that statue now celebrates the BLM protests more than it does Edward Colston.

If it had been quietly moved to the museum several years ago I’m not sure that would be the case. Then it would just be a museum exhibit glorifying a slaver. I’m not sure that nobody at all would get annoyed at that.

• Like 1

Just now, Panto_Villan said:

If it had been quietly moved to the museum several years ago I’m not sure that would be the case.

It was what had been specifically asked for for years alongside the campaign to rename the Colston Hall, which is now being renamed too

The thing I couldn't help but notice in the video of the BLM verdict celebrations was it being a big group of white mofos front and centre with a couple of token black people, right at the back of the group :D 

6 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Then it would just be a museum exhibit glorifying a slaver.

This is beyond silly, can you imagine Bristol Council putting the staue in a museum in a context that celebrated slavery, really? Can you?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

If it had been quietly moved to the museum several years ago I’m not sure that would be the case. Then it would just be a museum exhibit glorifying a slaver. I’m not sure that nobody at all would get annoyed at that.

People get furious at images of Nazis in war museums, do they?

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

People get furious at images of Nazis in war museums, do they?

If a council-owned museum had a statue (and presumably exhibit around it) of a prominent Nazi on display talking about his achievements, you don’t think anyone would get annoyed at that?

Just now, Panto_Villan said:

If a council-owned museum had a statue (and presumably exhibit around it) of a prominent Nazi on display talking about his achievements, you don’t think anyone would get annoyed at that?

Well in, you did it

godwins-law-i-have-an-opinion-so-did-hit

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

If it's placed in the context of the shit things that he did, as this one surely will be, no. There are all kinds of museum exhibits that include shitheads. 

Â