News story of the day

BOF

BBC sorry for showing footage of gorilla instead of Nicola Sturgeon

Host tells viewers Scottish first minister is due to appear on breakfast show as video of escaped London zoo gorilla is broadcast

BBC presenters have apologised after the broadcaster’s breakfast programme showed footage of a gorilla instead of Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon.

The BBC Breakfast host Naga Munchetty was telling viewers they would be joined by Sturgeon later in the programme when footage of a gorilla that escaped from its enclosure at London zoo was shown on screen.

Her co-presenter Charlie Stayt quickly apologised for the gaffe. He said: “I’m sorry, we have very clearly run the wrong pictures over that particular sequence, my apologies there.

“The story we will be talking about later, as you probably guessed by the pictures, is about the escaped gorilla at London zoo.”

Kumbuka the silverback gorilla escaped at about 5.15pm on Thursday but was caught and returned to his den about an hour later after being tranquillised.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/oct/14/bbc-sorry-footage-gorilla-nicola-sturgeon

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

People should think about shit like this when they book holidays to these backwards hellholes. British woman arrested on 'extra-marital sex' charges after reporting gang rape to police in Dubai

If she's not found innocent and given her passport back we should be getting her out of that country by any means encessary IMO. What a disgusting country.

A British tourist has been arrested and charged with illegal “extra-marital sex” in Dubai after telling police she had been gang raped.

The 25-year-old woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was on holiday in the United Arab Emirates when she was allegedly attacked by two British men last month.

When she reported the rape at a police station, she was allegedly arrested for breaking Emirati laws against extra-marital sex, while her attackers have since flown home to the UK.

The UK-based Detained in Dubai campaign group said she has been released on bail but had her passport confiscated, meaning she cannot leave the country, and could face trial for offences with punishments including jail, deportation, flogging and stoning to death.

"Police regularly fail to differentiate between consensual intercourse and violent rape,” she added. "Victims go to them expecting justice, and end up being prosecuted.  They not only invalidate their victimisation, they actually punish them for it."
A spokesperson for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office toldThe Independent it was aware of the case and providing support to the woman and her relatives, as well as remaining in contact with local authorities.

Its travel advice for the UAE says all sexual relations outside marriage are considered illegal, whatever a couple’s relationship at home, alongside homosexual sex and same-sex marriages.

“It’s against the law to live together, or to share the same hotel room, with someone of the opposite sex to whom you aren’t married or closely related,” the advice states.

The laws, which can also see unmarried pregnant women and their partners jailed, have been used to criminalise rape victims including women from Norway and Australia, and several previous British victims.

The burden of proof required for rape under the UAE’s interpretation of sharia law – a confession from the rapist or witness statements from four adult men – means that cases that reach court are heavily skewed in the defendant’s favour and are frequently dismissed or turned around to prosecute the alleged victim.

Campaigners say female migrant workers are hit particularly hard by the laws, with their stories rarely attracting the public attention or outcry garnered by cases involving Westerners.

Ms Stirling said the UAE has a long history of penalising rape victims. “We have been involved with several cases in the past where this has happened, and we work with the lawyers and families and have campaigned to change attitudes in the police and judiciary,” she added.

“The horrible case at hand shows that it is still not safe for victims to report these crimes to the police without the risk of suffering a double punishment.”

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Davkaus said:

People should think about shit like this when they book holidays to these backwards hellholes. British woman arrested on 'extra-marital sex' charges after reporting gang rape to police in Dubai

If she's not found innocent and given her passport back we should be getting her out of that country by any means encessary IMO. What a disgusting country.

Turns out I know one of the would-be rapists. Went to my secondary school.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38249570?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Marine Le Pen: No free school for foreigners

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen has called for an end to free education for foreign children.

In a speech in Paris, the National Front's candidate in the 2017 presidential race next spring said she had nothing against foreigners.

"But I tell them: if you come to our country don't expect to be taken care of, to be looked after, that your children will be educated without charge," she said.

"No more playtime," she added.

Ms Le Pen is widely expected to be one of two candidates to reach the second and final round of the election in May.

That'll create the integration and cohesion with natives and not cause resentment and radicalisation. Good work.

While not as hostile in tone or what I think personally I do appreciate the sentiment. I think non contributors getting things for free that working people have to struggle to afford does more harm to cohesion and integration than good.

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

While not as hostile in tone or what I think personally I do appreciate the sentiment. I think non contributors getting things for free that working people have to struggle to afford does more harm to cohesion and integration than good.

She didn't say 'non-contributors' did she? She said foreigners. It's a slightly dangerous implication that 'foreigner=doesn't pay tax'.

And either way, education is a right, not a privilege. Everyone deserves an education.

Edited by StefanAVFC

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

and either way, education is a right, not a privilege. Everyone deserves an education.

Everyone is rather a lot of people. Do you mean all French people have a right to an education at the expense of the French taxpayer, or anyone who can get to France has that right, or everyone in the world has that right? 

I don't disagree with the principle (who could?) but there is the question of who pays for it? 

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

Everyone is rather a lot of people. Do you mean all French people have a right to an education at the expense of the French taxpayer, or anyone who can get to France has that right, or everyone in the world has that right? 

I don't disagree with the principle (who could?) but there is the question of who pays for it? 

Every child has a right to an education. It was clear I meant that.

Attacking the right to an education, in a first world country; even despite the fact it's more rhetoric around 'immigrants are to blame'; she has gone way too far. 

As a tax payer I'm not than happy for my money to go towards children, native or foreign, getting an education. Surely that's common sense.

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Every child has a right to an education. It was clear I meant that.

Attacking the right to an education, in a first world country; even despite the fact it's more rhetoric around 'immigrants are to blame'; she has gone way too far. 

As a tax payer I'm not than happy for my money to go towards children, native or foreign, getting an education. Surely that's common sense.

I agree with you that every child in a western country has a right to education and the cost should be met from general taxation. 

I asked you to clarify whether you thought that right was universal and who should pay, because in many countries it isn't available to all. 

As an ex-pat in the Middle East I pay for my eldest son to go to school because there is no other option. The idea that the state would pay for it is laughable, so your personal view of universality in access to education doesn't reflect reality. 

Of course every child should and it should be free but the world isn't like that, schools/teachers/education cost money and resources so in effect it should be the same price for everyone. If some get it free then all should get it free.

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Every child who is a de facto resident in a country should be able to get an education in that country'

Otherwise we are punishing the child for the sins of the father, and I know @tonyh29 is pretty hot on that sort of stuff :P

Erm no

its usually you leftie lot expouting that and me criticising you all for it 

unless that was the point you were trying to make in which case ... erm carry on 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Erm no

its usually you leftie lot expouting that and me criticising you all for it 

unless that was the point you were trying to make in which case ... erm carry on 

'Twas indeed the point I was making. 

• Like 1

Freshman boys add semen to baked turnover frosting and feed it to female teacher during cooking class

A teacher at Omaha Westside High School in Nebraska was fed semen while taste testing her students' attempt at making frosted turnovers (file image)

• A home economics teacher Omaha's Westside High School was fed semen while taste testing her students' latest assignment 
  • Two freshmen, ages 14 and 15, allegedly masturbated into a cup and mixed their semen with frosting, which was spread on their turnovers 
  • The teacher tasted the recipe and thought there was 'something amiss'
  • Under questioning, the boys admitted to the plot and now face misdemeanor charges of disturbing the peace

A high school cooking teacher in Nebraska was fed semen while taste testing her students' attempt at making frosting.

One of the home economics teachers at the Omaha Westside High School on Thursday assigned baked turnovers to her freshman class. 

When it came time to add the frosting, three students, ages 14 and 15, allegedly excused themselves and went to the bathroom to get an extra ingredient.

Two of them reportedly masturbated into a cup and mixed their semen with frosting, which was spread on their turnovers, the Omaha World-Herald reported.

The female teacher tasted one of the baked goods and 'noticed something amiss,' the newspaper reported.

nother student told the teacher she'd overheard the boys talking a bout their plan.

Once interviewed by school administrators, two of the boys admitted to the plot while the third said he 'chickened out,' the World-Herald reported.

The two boys, who are not named because they are minors, now face misdemeanor charges of disturbing the peace in juvenile court, the World-Herald reported.

'The students will face consequences,' school spokeswoman Brandi Petersen told the newspaper.

'We do not tolerate anything of this nature.'

Schools officials are 'working with Omaha police to determine what, if any, criminal citations are issued,' the spokeswoman added to the World-Herald.

The students have been disciplined, Petersen said, but the school wouldn't release more information about what actions were taken.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4022250/Freshman-boys-cooking-class-add-semen-baked-turnover-frosting-feed-female-teacher.html

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â