News story of the day

BOF

• 1 year later...

Is this Britain's rudest address? Semi at 69 Cock Lane goes on sale

A house with what has been described as the “rudest address in Britain” has been put up for sale.

Potential buyers may need a decent sense of humour if they are to move into the three-bedroom property at 69 Cock Lane in Fetcham, Surrey.

The semi-detached house has gone on the market with estate agent Gascoigne Pees, with an asking price of £449,950.

News of the property listing prompted a flurry of jokes, with Mike Philpott tweeting: “This has everything. A semi at 69 Cock Lane is for sale. Estate agent? Gascoigne Pees.”

Top ten rudest street names in Britain

Another user wrote “You have no idea how glad I was to find that this is real!” while a prospective buyer simply remarked: “So we're actually looking at a house that's address is 69 cock lane…”

The street in Fetcham previously attracted attention when penis-shaped graffiti was daubed on potholes in an effort to get them fixed by the local council.

• 1 month later...

Some people :mellow:

Powys mum banned from naming daughter Cyanide by court

A mother has been banned from naming her baby Cyanide after the poison which Adolf Hitler took before shooting himself.

The woman, from Powys, also chose the name Preacher for the girl's twin brother - saying she had a human right to name her own children.

She said Cyanide was a "lovely, pretty name" with positive connotations as it was taken by Hitler.

The Court of Appeal ruled the "unusual" choices might harm the children.

The infant twins, as well as the mother's other children, have been taken from her care.

The court was told the mother had a history of mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse.

When Powys council social workers learnt of the names the mother had chosen for the twins, they took the case to court.

In June, a judge issued an injunction against the mother, forbidding her from formally registering the twins' forenames.

Lawyers appealed, claiming a violation of the woman's right to respect for family life.

But Lady Justice King said naming a little girl after a "notorious poison" was simply unacceptable.

Although there was nothing seriously objectionable about the name Preacher, she ruled both twins' names should be chosen by their older half-siblings.

Lady Justice King said "even allowing for changes in taste, fashion and developing individual perception", Cyanide was a very odd name to give to a baby girl.

The mother said Cyanide was linked with flowers and plants and was "responsible for killing Hitler and Goebbels and I consider that this was a good thing".

Hitler took the poison in April 1945 with Eva Braun before shooting himself.

Lady Justice King said the courts would intervene to prevent a parent naming a child "in only the most extreme cases".

Only in Wales

It's not something for the judiciary to get involved in, is it?

Is Adolph acceptable? What about Absinthe? What about Tequila Sunrise? What about Fruit Bat? What about calling a boy Sue?* I don't want some judge to tell me what I can or can't call my kids, that's a lot like the state having naming rights over your baby.

* Quiz question: of those five examples, one was a real person with a real name given from birth, one was an elective change of name in adulthood. I know them both.

Adolph is the real name.

Tequila Sunrise is the name change

Sue is the boys name from the Johnny Cash song "A boy named Sue"

I agree with you, naming your children should be up to you, on the other hand having an abortion should be up to the mother,its her body.  

I do know Sue is a real name and I do know Adolph is a real name. 

don't know any Adolph's and I don't know any boys called Sue. I do know a woman called Fruit Bat and a girl called Tequila Sunrise.

I can't believe I googled it, but there are 4 links to people in the U.S. called Susan Hitler.

• 1 month later...

Two teenage girls have pleaded guilty to kidnapping a toddler in a Primark store.

The two-year-old girl went missing from the shop on Northumberland Street in Newcastle city centre in April.

She was found an hour and 45 minutes later after being tracked via CCTV cameras to a park in the suburb of Gosforth, about three miles away.

The girls, aged 13 and 14, were also charged with shoplifting dummies, baby milk and a bottle.

They had been charged with kidnap with the intention of committing a sexual offence, but the prosecution at a youth court hearing in North Shields accepted a plea to the alternative charge of kidnap.

The pair from Tyneside, who cannot be named for legal reasons, admitted abducting the girl from the budget clothes store on 13 April.

What the hell is wrong with some people? Why on earth were they allowed a 'deal' on a lesser charge?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-36468119

Theoretically the right thread for that post but in practice this is mostly for fairly comical news articles.

May be better suited in the Jimmy Saville and wider peado thread.

Then again, im no Mod.

I guess you dont know what evidence they have to prove intention of sexual offence. Charging for Kidnap is better than both parties getting away with it

Â