The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Finally upgraded my 3GS after 50 months. Now have a 4S. Felt better than the 5/5S and I'm not a massive user of it now so the 4S is more than enough for my needs. 

• 1 month later...

My 3GS was purchased in 2010, the speaker stopped working a while back, now the headphone jack is faulty. I won't get a new phone, I was offered one when the original contract expired but I'll keep this phone until it completely packs in. It's served me well, having had a huge amount of use, as it's been used for all my web surfing after my laptop died a while back.

Does anybody else get 'charging is not supported with this accessory'. I'm getting it more and more. Is this an iOS piss take, trying to get people to buy the official overpriced apple sweatshop charging cable as opposed to a cheap as chips eBay imitation sweatshop charging cable?

It's them trying to make you buy the official equipment. My partner had to try a few different non-official chargers to find one that works.

Well done Apple... overpriced phones and trying to rip people off with extras.

I remember when I loved my IPhone, genuinely can't think of a reason to get one now. Strange how times change.

They're still very good phones. Excellently made and good at what they do. As long as you accept the limitations then they are great. 

It's them trying to make you buy the official equipment. My partner had to try a few different non-official chargers to find one that works.

Well done Apple... overpriced phones and trying to rip people off with extras.

I think its more likely dust in the charging point on the phone. I've used non official chargers for 5 years with no issues. Overpriced? Possibly but you get it back at resale. 

Edited by Xela

So I've the iPad Mini with Retina display, very nice screen, though the device is heavy, noticeably heavier than the other iPad mini. Also the Racing Post iPad app which I bought this device for is excellent.

But by lord iOS is diabolical. Why is there no back button? Seriously it's a nightmare to navigate around.

But by lord iOS is diabolical. Why is there no back button? Seriously it's a nightmare to navigate around.

Yeah, it really pisses me off pressing the home button.

Yeah, it really pisses me off pressing the home button.

Pressing a back button is not the same as pressing a home button.

Correct I usually have to press it several times on my S3 ;)

Horses for courses but I find iOS far easier to use and navigate.

I think we reached the point a while ago (probably 18 months or more) where the biggest complaint users of one OS could throw at the other is "I'm not used to it"

• Like 2

I think we reached the point a while ago (probably 18 months or more) where the biggest complaint users of one OS could throw at the other is "I'm not used to it"

I think that iOS has caught up a lot of ground to android for features and android has caught up with iOS for touch response so there's not a load between them now.

But I think iOS is still a bit limited with the sharing mechanism and the restrictions for the sake of it.

Also as there's still not a lot between the operating systems themselves, with apple you're then having to deal with their lock in and other restrictive things such as being forced to use iTunes etc.

Does anybody else get 'charging is not supported with this accessory'. I'm getting it more and more. Is this an iOS piss take, trying to get people to buy the official overpriced apple sweatshop charging cable as opposed to a cheap as chips eBay imitation sweatshop charging cable?

Mine started to do that and then totally died on itself. The logic board had completely packed up. I had to buy an out of warranty replacement for £120.

Saying that, however, it's more likely to be as Xela suggested and just be some dust in the port.

Yeah, I've been deliberating whether it's a dirty connection or the 'cheap' cables. I'm sure I remember apple saying they were trying to crack down on that, on the basis of them not being safe?? So whether there is a technical way they can do that by stopping the phone accepting them or not had me wondering. It might be that, it might be dust, it might be something more fatal, but at the moment it's intermittent.

Yeah, I've been deliberating whether it's a dirty connection or the 'cheap' cables. I'm sure I remember apple saying they were trying to crack down on that, on the basis of them not being safe...

...For their profit margins.

• Like 1

Â