The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Once your fingerprint is compromised, how do you get another one?

Biometrics are bad authentication factors. They can all be subverted and once they are, you're screwed.

They certainly are for remote portable devices yes...... they are also reliant on the database where the validation data is held being secure. So walking around with a severed finger may raise suspicion but hacking the database to alter fingerprint record data is far less so.

Also the home button on iphones is one of the most regularly repaired parts - i.e. when it busts, you can't use your phone.

Additionally, potentially one could lift the fingerprint off something shiny like, say, I dunno, an iPhone, then fake it over the sensor. Of course this only really works if the sensor is JUST a fingerprint sensor, but what else does it measure, if anything? Unknown.

Well I see Apples master plan of not allowing pre-orders on the 5S has resulted in them being able to generate the hype that all these people queuing up for their latest kit.

There will always be some who must have the latest Iphone on the day of launch and who will pretty much queue for days for it, you just wonder though if  there as many queuing today when compared to the Iphone 4 launch.

http://allthingsd.com/20130917/carrier-sources-say-iphone-5s-inventory-on-friday-to-be-grotesquely-low/

Apparently they are supply constrained, which is never normally an issue for Apple. I've seen on a few sites that manufacturing of the A7 chip has been slower than expected.  It explains the decision not to open up pre orders I guess. 

Also the home button on iphones is one of the most regularly repaired parts - i.e. when it busts, you can't use your phone.

Additionally, potentially one could lift the fingerprint off something shiny like, say, I dunno, an iPhone, then fake it over the sensor. Of course this only really works if the sensor is JUST a fingerprint sensor, but what else does it measure, if anything? Unknown.

You cans actually put a home button on your screen. My mates broke and he has one on screen now, you can move it about. So all is not lost when it brakes.

Well they believe everything that Apple say so why not.

I see according to Apple even with supplies being low they sold 9 million Iphones. I wonder what the split is between 5S & 5C.

I wonder why Apple decided to ditch the 5 to make the 5C, when surely it would have made more sense to keep the 5 as a cheaper brother to the 5S and bring the 5C out but based on the 4S with the smaller screen etc. They could have made this even more price competitive and it wouldnt then of detracted people from buying the more expensive handsets if they wanted.

Well it makes sense as they can now sell the 5C as a new phone. They have two phones to sell. The 5S and 5C so they will have a better case than simply saying of the iPhone 5 but with fingerprint reader. It worked back with the 4S but competition is much stronger now. They can't simply live off just S upgrades every other year.

Also the 5C us being sold for basically the same price as the 5 would be but it costs less to make and as such has a bigger margin for Apple.

Finally it's step one of the new plan. Step two will be when the bigger iphone 6 comes out and they can make big price cuts on the 5C and continue with two screen sizes for iPhones and have a budget entry level one at 4 inches which can adopt the 64 bit architecture of the 5S when needs be.

I think it's a very sound strategy and I'd be happy of I was an investor, especially with retina ipad mini coming out soon and new Haswell Macs. Plus the iWatch and Apple TV market sectors ripe for picking next year.

Also the 5C us being sold for basically the same price as the 5 would be but it costs less to make and as such has a bigger margin for Apple.

Except if you believe the tech stories it isnt selling to anywhere near the level that the thought it would mainly because its a plastic Iphone which is £60+ cheaper than the real deal.

That's from UK sources though. iphone market share is much lower in Europe than America. Due to the lock in contract system over there people buy a lot of the older model iPhones. While over in Europe a lot of the iPhone owners are only after the latest model. Let's say, their more intelligent by average than an American iphone owner.

Oi Dodgyknees! The first one was a link to a Murdoch website, but was quite funny, so I can forgive you.

The second was to the daily effing Mail, a link that I refuse to click.

What is wrong with you?!?

Â