The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Not a fan of the new maps yet. At all. They clearly don't have the important stuff that google does. Like street view, satellite images of my house and other stuff we've got used to. At least not yet.

Am a big fan of the feel and look. Hopefully the speed and camera will keep me happy :)

Had a play on a 5 on saturday. Friend of mine has one.

It's a lovely looking phone taken in isolation, but there's no denying it loks exactly like the 4. You don't even notice th ebigger screen at first. In fact my friend was using it for a while before I even noticed it was a new one (I think she wanted me to notice, haha!)

Anyway, the only new feature she seemed to be really impressed with was the panoramic photo mode. Which she was quickly gutted about when I told her my phone did that, and her old iphone would have odne that if she'd downloaded the app for it ("photosynth" if anyone's interested)

She loves it, but she's coming from an iPhone 3. Not 3G, or 3GS. 3. so anything is going to look impressive next to that as it had gotten so slow she'd probably have been quicker to write a letter to people than text them.

It's definitely lighter and faster, but from the short time I had it it seemed distinctly like the jump from 4 to 4s than the jump from 3G to 4, if that makes sense.

Again, it reaffirmed that I'd made the right decision in going for the S3.

I don't think there was a 3? It went from iPhone (the original) to 3G to 3GS?

Oh, must have been a 3G then.

It was slow as shit, whatever it was.

Never really understood the hatred for apple, its just a product, if you dont like it then dont buy it. No dramas.

Anyway, my 3GS has basically ground to a halt due to age and being overloaded with music. I had planned on getting an iphone 5 but they are far too expensive. The sensible choice seems to be to get an S3 instead, which is a shame because I like the iphone. Has anyone made a similar decision and come to regret it?

For someone who hates Apple and think's everything is shit, you dont half post a lot in this thread :lol:

I am interested in smartphones and paste comments on them in their relevant threads. It would be off topic in the android thread.

Decision vindicated? or not made at all?

There are at least 5 people who post on here who have switched to the S3 or HTC One and I'd guage their experience as overwhelmingly positive .

Some will post on here at lunch I'm sure, they'll be able to give their first hand opinions.

Never really understood the hatred for apple, its just a product, if you dont like it then dont buy it. No dramas.

Anyway, my 3GS has basically ground to a halt due to age and being overloaded with music. I had planned on getting an iphone 5 but they are far too expensive. The sensible choice seems to be to get an S3 instead, which is a shame because I like the iphone. Has anyone made a similar decision and come to regret it?

I have moved from a 4 to an S3 and don't regret it.

I am still getting used to it but there is lots of stuff I do like on android and very few negatives.

Made the decision (from iPhone 4 to S3), don't regret it.

S3 > iPhone 4 (and S)

And from what i've seen, it's already better than the 5 anyway.

Apart from a few annoying things with having to convert some of my music from m4a to mp3, there's nothing wrong or even time consuming with the transition whatsoever.

Yeah. As I said you just have to make sure everything is in mp3 format. if it isn't then it takes some time to convert everything.

You can just drag and drop the music in Windows Explorer (or whatever you use) onto the phone.

I use WMP now (easier to sync with the phone) and just have my library as the same folder all my itunes music was/is in.

That way you can still use the iTunes store in future if you want and the music will automatically go into your WMP library too.

There are music apps that can play m4a files too. So you don't have to worry about converting your music if you don't want to. Or can take your time in converting and still have access to it.

I'd convert your music to mp3 and put it on a removable sd card so it's easy to move around. Makes upgrading phones in future so easy and quick. It takes maybe 5 mins to sign into Google and have it import all your apps and contact , then pop in your sd card and viola.

Also there are apps like double twist that can sync with itunes over wifi if you want to keep using it. Personally I use drag and drop, or drop box.

There is an app called easy phone sync that Samsung are providing for free that will do everything for you, haven't used it yet but reviews have been positive.

I hate the company rather than the product. I don't think the product is especially good and doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of attention it gets (whether it's iOS, iPad, iPhone, iPod etc.), but my beef is with the company.

I'm normally a reasonable person and I realise it's completely irrational to hate a non-singular entity such as a group of people working together as a company, as I wouldn't hate any of those people individually if I met them, therefore it must just be the way they operate.

They're a nasty, shitty, scumbag of a company who embody everything that is wrong with modern capitalism. Microsoft were bad but are nowhere near the current levels of Apple.

I could list all the reasons if anyone was interested, but I'll assume not.

Thanks for the info re: Music guys.

Still not sure that I want to leave the comfortable world of apple phones, but I think I will probably have to.

Either that or get a refurbished 4S.

Darrenm - I can accept that you get annoyed at the publicy surrounding Apple, I won't argue with you on that because it's not something that you've asked for, so why should you accept it.

There is an app called easy phone sync that Samsung are providing for free that will do everything for you, haven't used it yet but reviews have been positive.

I tried it.

It's ok, but not great. As far as I could tell you could only sync playlists, rather than specific files.

So you'd have to make a playlist of your whole library to sync the lot.

So it's adequate, but I didn't really think it was worth it

Shillzz could you tell me what features you are worried about missing of you leave the iphone?

It's interesting what makes you want to stay with the iphone so much you'd like pick up a refurb 4S just to stay with iOS. I understand that when many people bought their previous iphone it was a 3GS or 4 when iphones were still cutting edge or even leading the pack.

But now the criticism is mounting, iOS is aging and the iphone is most certainly over priced.

Will you be losing any key feature by moving to android? Most certainly not. Also it's hard to explain the new features Android has without someone showing you a modern phone.

I think people should try something else, if you've already used an iphone for a few years you should have no problem with another phone os.

You won't know what you like if you never try it.

Â