The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I saw this "event" too as my lad wanted to see it. Found a little river to watch it and couldn't believe my eyes. Chris Eubank jr was there as a pundit and he seemed embarrassed to be providing feedback on such garbage.

3 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I saw this "event" too as my lad wanted to see it. Found a little river to watch it and couldn't believe my eyes. Chris Eubank jr was there as a pundit and he seemed embarrassed to be providing feedback on such garbage.

They must have paid him a absolute fortune to be there as he looked like he was paid to "praise" the fighters as he looked like he was cracking up half the night at how crap alot of "boxers" were.

Your right its more a sports entertainment event.  That's not boxing in any capacity. Any person that calls that boxing is just humiliating themself 

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They must have paid him a absolute fortune to be there as he looked like he was paid to "praise" the fighters as he looked like he was cracking up half the night at how crap alot of "boxers" were.

Your right its more a sports entertainment event.  That's not boxing in any capacity. Any person that calls that boxing is just humiliating themself 

I noticed the presenters didn't call it boxing but referred to the sport as "influencer boxing". They just need to drop the word boxing full stop.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I noticed the presenters didn't call it boxing but referred to the sport as "influencer boxing". They just need to drop the word boxing full stop.

Cant agree more. It was like a wierd mix of wwe, bitch fighting and reality tv. Trash tv at its worst

So we are closing in on Mexico Independence weekend in Vegas. 168 lbs is the chosen weight, one going up one coming down. One over 40 with an alleged diminishing skill set the other off the bsck of his first defeat in many years. If there is any justice or credibility still in the game there should be only one result but fights are not won on these attributes. It may be fanciful thinking but I think we could be in for a full out war. Please do not disappoint 🤞🤞

11 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

No mention of Tyson Fury's shocking return from retirement? Wants to fight Joshua in December as Usyk won't be ready.

It’s believe it when I see it for me.

Its also not the major showdown we hoped it would be a year or so ago. Pension fund fight for AJ.

Cracks me up, been going on about it all day on Talksport that the fights as good as on for the right money. They failed to mention, AJ has said as quoted on Talksport, he will take it in December. Fury has offered it for November knowing AJ won be ready. Its all a joke!!

• 2 weeks later...

Gennady Golovkin on the Canelo Alvarez trilogy fight: “While four years is too long between the last fight and this one, I am relieved Canelo did not wait until I was 50 to agree to a third fight. For a while, it seemed that was a strong possibility.”

13 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Gennady Golovkin on the Canelo Alvarez trilogy fight: “While four years is too long between the last fight and this one, I am relieved Canelo did not wait until I was 50 to agree to a third fight. For a while, it seemed that was a strong possibility.”

I don't care what anyone says, from what I've seen from his last few fights, he's getting, if not gone past his sell by date.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't care what anyone says, from what I've seen from his last few fights, he's getting, if not gone past his sell by date.

Both are I think - but Golovkin looks like he's further gone.

I don't see Golovkin ever being able to right the wrongs sadly.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Both are I think - but Golovkin looks like he's further gone.

I don't see Golovkin ever being able to right the wrongs sadly.

The one thing none of them can beat, apart from Foreman and Hopkins for awhile. It’s all against GGG being at 168 for the first time, relatively inactive and over 40. However the man has a heart of a lion and you never know if he can dip into the well one last time and produce something spectacular, boy does he deserve it. Even if he does I suspect he will have to knock Canelo out to get a draw, is it Mexico day this weekend?

I cannot stand Canelo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

ESPN reporting its been agreed  spence vs crawford.

Thats the one i been dying to see. Such a hard fight to call. You probably make spence favourite based on size

Mouthwatering prospect. Reminds me of the great match - ups of the 80s.

I give a nod towards Spence, I just think he's more durable, but Crawford has the dog in him too, plus some seriously skills.

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Mouthwatering prospect. Reminds me of the great match - ups of the 80s.

I give a nod towards Spence, I just think he's more durable, but Crawford has the dog in him too, plus some seriously skills.

It’s a genuine flip a coin fight. There are serious arguments for both, cannot wait. Could even end up in a trilogy as they are very closely matched.

That’s an interesting subject in its own right, your favourite trilogy fights, Barrera Morales closely followed by Gatti Ward for me

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

It’s a genuine flip a coin fight. There are serious arguments for both, cannot wait. Could even end up in a trilogy as they are very closely matched.

That’s an interesting subject in its own right, your favourite trilogy fights, Barrera Morales closely followed by Gatti Ward for me

Frazier and Ali, Bowe and Holyfield, Gatti v Ward. 

Barrera and Morales were great foes but that first fight was so brutally good the other two seemed like an Anti - climax. 

I see Lee Wood as had to pull out of his fight with Lara. Torn bicep apparently. It could turn out to be a blessing in disguise if Lara decides to fight someone else.

The way Lara pit a beating on Warrington, I really don't see Woods having the tools to do much better than what Warrington did.

Â