The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not many big fights coming up is there? 

Taylor - Catterall should be getting more attention. It’s shocking really. Taylor has all 4 world titles at 140 lbs and the man on the street wouldn’t know him. 

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Taylor - Catterall should be getting more attention. It’s shocking really. Taylor has all 4 world titles at 140 lbs and the man on the street wouldn’t know him. 

Im in that camp. Never heard of him!

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If he was English I bet he’d be bigger news……

What's even more strange is he was contracted to channel 5 when he was with the Mcguigan's, so it's not like he hasn't had any real exposure. It's a real shame because he may be the most talented boxer to come from these shores in a very long time.

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

What's even more strange is he was contracted to channel 5 when he was with the Mcguigan's, so it's not like he hasn't had any real exposure. It's a real shame because he may be the most talented boxer to come from these shores in a very long time.

I’m not sure channel 5 counts as exposure, does anyone ever take any notice of what’s on channel 5?

Anyway, apparently Whyte and Fury is on for April, can’t see Whyte getting near Fury but you never know I guess and at that weight, all it takes is one good / lucky punch potentially.

45 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m not sure channel 5 counts as exposure, does anyone ever take any notice of what’s on channel 5?

Anyway, apparently Whyte and Fury is on for April, can’t see Whyte getting near Fury but you never know I guess and at that weight, all it takes is one good / lucky punch potentially.

Just read that tonight. Whyte signed at the 11th hour. April 23rd at Wembley is the talk. Ya know what it’s not a bad fight at all. Fury should be too good for him but he’s been put over plenty in his career and Whyte can bang. Can just see Dillan getting peppered with jab and straight lefts all night. 

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Viewing figures are higher generally than those for fights on Sky (not including those that watch in pubs) usually about twice this of a decent fight on Sky - even though, let's face, it the fights are generally nowhere near the same level.

I think we still underestimate the numbers of people who watch stuff on terrestrial TV versus other platforms. 

Fury beats whyte, uysk beats aj again.

Setting up fury vs uysk which fury wins as he is too big for uysk. Then fury retires undefeated.

After that the heavyweight division goes to shit as the rest are average heavyweight boxers. I would expect wilder and usyk to dominate and aj to retire after he loses rematch

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That old cliche of just a "one punch " . I just can't see that happening with this fight. I really think Whyte could be in for a severe lesson from Fury, who, after all the bravado talk from Whyte, will have no problem getting mentally prepared for this one.

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That old cliche of just a "one punch " . I just can't see that happening with this fight. I really think Whyte could be in for a severe lesson from Fury, who, after all the bravado talk from Whyte, will have no problem getting mentally prepared for this one.

Yeah as I say, can’t see Whyte getting near him but you just never know.

Much like when Otto Wallin opened up his face and let’s be honest, had that fight been in the UK for example, it probably would have been stopped and Fury would have a defeat on his record.

On 20/02/2022 at 05:37, sheepyvillian said:

I thought it was a great stoppage by the ref. If he had intervened in the 5th I don't think there would have been too many complaints . Those extra pounds seemingly helped Brook more than they did Khan. The last time I seen legs that weak was when Hagler dismantled Hearns.

I had £20 each on Brook for stoppage rounds 5,6 & 7 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah as I say, can’t see Whyte getting near him but you just never know.

Much like when Otto Wallin opened up his face and let’s be honest, had that fight been in the UK for example, it probably would have been stopped and Fury would have a defeat on his record.

He underestimated Wallin, big time, mainly because he was looking ahead to Wilder. I can't see him doing the same with whyte. It's Fury's first fight back home in a long time, so he'll definitely want to put on a show for the fans.

30 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Sensible bet. I had Khan by TKO. Now I know why the bookies are always laughing when I enter the shop. 

Same end result, the Mrs has procured most of it already 🤨 Was nice to look at it for a few hours Sunday though sitting in the account

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Sensible bet. I had Khan by TKO. Now I know why the bookies are always laughing when I enter the shop. 

I had Brook 1-6, so just in.

As for Uysk and AJ, if there is any corruption in boxing, Uysk won't win. AJ is probably the biggest cash cow for the promoters and boxing. If he loses it'll be the end of AJ, an he won't get the fight with Fury. Boxing and Hearn will lose out big time, I just can't see that happening.

Â