The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay, yeah it’s subjective fair enough but you’re literally the only person in here or that was involved on the TV (which includes a bunch of current and ex-pro’s) who seems to think that so I really don’t know what you’ve watched but it wasn’t the same fight I / we saw sorry.

Andre Ward had Taylor by a point. It's all a bit emotional now. Wait till things come out in the wash. Taylor won, that's official. 

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

it's not even really a good result for Taylor - he'll now be associated with dodgy refereeing and having promoters win fights for him - going into this he was a pure champion, skilled and a warrior - now he's gong to be forever a cheat.

115-110 to Catterall was about right imo.

It hasn't done Canelo any harm.

16 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

How many you had sheepy, fair play to ya for typing that out whilst on the pop.

😉

Phil, trust me. Watch it again. I didn't even blink when Taylor got the decision, incidentally, what an ugly fight. Two southpaw's was never going to set the World alight.

At least you came at me with some humour, which is what I expect from you. The funny thing is, half of them couldn't box cornflakes. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Phil, trust me. Watch it again. I didn't even blink when Taylor got the decision, incidentally, what an ugly fight. Two southpaw's was never going to set the World alight.

At least you came at me with some humour, which is what I expect from you. The funny thing is, half of them couldn't box cornflakes. 

Fair play pal, I always watch fights back, I will do tomorrow and report back.

• Like 1

Sport is now more about the money behind it than a fair contest between two opponents. 

This is becoming the same for all major sports sadly. 

Sport is becoming nothing more than a theatre production for unscrupulous organisers to reap in cash on the back of the paying punter. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Sport is now more about the money behind it than a fair contest between two opponents. 

This is becoming the same for all major sports sadly. 

Sport is becoming nothing more than a theatre production for unscrupulous organisers to reap in cash on the back of the paying punter. 

Don't be so naive. It's been happening in boxing from day one. Debatable decisions have long been part of the sport. Henry Cooper was bitter till the day he died over Harry Gibbs raising Joe Bugner's hand instead of his. The exact same furore surrounded the first Eubank and Watson fight. It's nothing new.

Taylor was the aggressor in those last 4 rounds and that gave the judges the opportunity to give him the decision. You can argue about the wrong and right of it all day, but it's not going to change anything. . 

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Rewatching the fight right now, Catterall won the 1st round, more to come.

Phil, you may well come to the same conclusion, but watch those last four rounds. Cattrall took his foot off the gas and Taylor was the aggressor which enabled the judges to give it to Taylor. He was very, very lucky, but it's not the first time it's happened in boxing and it most certainly won't be the last.

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Phil, you may well come to the same conclusion, but watch those last four rounds. Cattrall took his foot off the gas and Taylor was the aggressor which enabled the judges to give it to Taylor. He was very, very lucky, but it's not the first time it's happened in boxing and it most certainly won't be the last.

Level after 4, Taylor always moving forward to catch the eye, Catterall doing a great job spoiling and protecting from the body shots which are normally a Taylor strong point. 

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Don't be so naive. It's been happening in boxing from day one. Debatable decisions have long been part of the sport. Henry Cooper was bitter till the day he died over Harry Gibbs raising Joe Bugner's hand instead of his. The exact same furore surrounded the first Eubank and Watson fight. It's nothing new.

Taylor was the aggressor in those last 4 rounds and that gave the judges the opportunity to give him the decision. You can argue about the wrong and right of it all day, but it's not going to change anything. . 

Thanks for pointing out my naivety!

Of course boxing has always been synonymous with rigging (and not just the big fights) but the money  (not just in boxing) has got so big that sport is going to be susceptible to corruption.

my remark was not just about boxing but sport in general whereby millions of pounds can be generated for individuals and corporations on the back of results regardless of being fair or not - just look at VAR (or is that me being naive again? It’s probably more cynicism) 

I do think Catterall had it, but if you back off and go into survival mode in the last rounds against a Champion, you are always gonna get the wrong decision. He should have turned it on in the last rounds. But don't get me wrong, Taylor lost that.

• Like 1

Taylor won 9 and 10, Catterall 11 and 12. Taylors was a performance for shit judges, always moving forward but Catteralls movement in defence was really good and he made Taylor miss so often, Taylor threw plenty but they didn't score, probably looked like it to a judge but no, a lot closer deceptively then it actually was. Catterall won it. 

• Like 1

Â