The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

54 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Anytime in the last 6-7 years i would have said Brook all day, now im really not sure, probably comes down to who trains the hardest for it.

If Khan had had a better chin he would have been one hell of a fighter, still, he had a decent career and achieved more that Brook, who, also could have done more had he been more dedicated ,instead of getting stabbed in the leg for thinking you're the bees knees. 

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

If Khan had had a better chin he would have been one hell of a fighter, still, he had a decent career and achieved more that Brook, who, also could have done more had he been more dedicated ,instead of getting stabbed in the leg for thinking you're the bees knees. 

Khans hand speed in his earlier career was breathtaking. Fairplay to him though going up the weights to face Ginger bollocks, completely out boxed him until he got tagged. Always thought a prime Khan would’ve been a good test for Mayweather 

17 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I mean should Kel Brook be allowed to carry on boxing? Hasn't he broken his eye socket twice? You got think of your long term health.

He has got more titanium than a T 1000

Sounds like AJ is going to take the step aside money for Fury - Usyk. 

Probably a sensible move financially because he will presumably fight Fury if/when he wins but the build up to that fight will be entertaining in that scenario as Fury will have beaten the man AJ was scared to fight again 😁

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Khans hand speed in his earlier career was breathtaking. Fairplay to him though going up the weights to face Ginger bollocks, completely out boxed him until he got tagged. Always thought a prime Khan would’ve been a good test for Mayweather 

Great hand speed and a joy to watch when he was on point. Against Devon Alexandra he was perfection and even when he fought Garcia, before getting caught by that wild left hook, he was totally out boxing him. 

He may have given Mayweather a bit of a fight, but at the end of the day, it's about levels and Mayweather was unique. He lived the life and reaped the rewards. To quote his mantra, " hard work and dedication ".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Anytime in the last 6-7 years i would have said Brook all day, now im really not sure, probably comes down to who trains the hardest for it.

5 years or more ago I would have gone out of my way to watch that fight. Today, I couldn’t give a toss.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it goes to points.cant see a knock out

If it goes to points I think Khan wins. Brook  will try to wear him down physically and psychologically if he does, then It probably won't go past 8 rd. Just because both are past their prime doesn't mean it won't be a decent fight. It's a last chance for both to end their career on a high and neither will want to give an inch in this one. There's a lot of pride at stake and whoever comes out on top is going to milk that victory like no other, such is the enmity between them. I'm looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Great hand speed and a joy to watch when he was on point. Against Devon Alexandra he was perfection and even when he fought Garcia, before getting caught by that wild left hook, he was totally out boxing him. 

He may have given Mayweather a bit of a fight, but at the end of the day, it's about levels and Mayweather was unique. He lived the life and reaped the rewards. To quote his mantra, " hard work and dedication ".

The thing about Khan though is you can get drunk on his hand speed. I mean from nearly beating Kindelan in the gold medal match in Athens, his lightning hand speed stood out but it merely masked over the massive flaws he has in his overall game. Even before Prescott, Willie limond nearly took him out. You say he was beating Garcia and yes i agree, he was up, but he didn’t just get caught. He got almost caught 3 times before that because his feet are shocking and he hangs his chin out because he reaches in when he tries to land punch 5 of a 4 to 5 punch combo that about 2 land. Saying all that, great career. Stellar wins. Achieved a tonne. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

So glad Eubank Jr won. A beautiful example of controlled anger. I've never been happier to see someone so humiliated. 

I thought it was a rubbish fight. Sky putting all their weight behind a 32 year old who’s lost twice and isn’t really going to improve. 

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Eubank claiming he let the fight run as he wanted to show him up. I'm not so sure, a first round finish would have done his rep even better, an it was on the cards.

Sounds like he was rarely troubled by Williams during the bout so may have been enjoying himself.

Williams was full of trash talk prior to the fight. 

• Like 1

Two shit fighters in over hyped uninspiring fight shock.

Hopefully canelo puts us out of our misery and ends eubank jr soon.

Im more looking forward  to the shields vs Marshall fight

Next up to washed up hasbeens khan vs brook 

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Two shit fighters in over hyped uninspiring fight shock.

In fairness, both Williams and Eubank Jr are ranked in the top seven middleweights in the world by the WBC, WBA and WBC.

Canelo, Charlo, Andrade, Munguia and Golovkin are the big scalps in the division, but with Canelo looking at bigger weight classes and Golovkin definitely showing signs of age, there's an opening there for Eubank Jr to win one of the titles.

I think we might see a Eubank Jr - Billy Joe Saunders rematch next though - I think there'd be a lot of interest in that.

I thought last night was very Eubank Jr - he started really well, smart, incisive and quick and then once he got the knockdowns he decided to try to lay on the showmanship and was nowhere near as good when he did - when he's moving and throwing hurtful jabs and pokes he looks good, when he's standing still throwing those big uppercuts he's predictable and easier to defend against. I think Roy Jones has him a little better defensively and Williams didn't really land a clean blow in the whole fight, so there are signs of improvement I think, but despite the physical tools he has and his fantastic conditioning and better training, he still has that mental weakness in wanting to show off - in wanting it to be easy - he takes the easy route out of his plan too quickly and he won't get away with it against better fighters.

• Like 1

Â