The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

19 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

If Thurman can't beat a 40 yr old Pacman, then he may as well forget boxing.  Jeff Horn beat Pac, that's how much he's declined. You can't consider yourself an elite fighter if you're going to struggle against, what in boxing terms, is an old man.

Hope your right , surprisingly generous odds at 6/5 , so put a 100 on it 

Much to like about Dillian Whyte. 

Much improved fighter, some of his jabbing and bodywork was excellent. Heart of a lion, went down and was ready to go again. Doesn't duck fights, arguably has the best resumé of all current heavyweights. 

Deserves a title shot asap. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, West said:

Much improved fighter, some of his jabbing and bodywork was excellent. Heart of a lion, went down and was ready to go again. Doesn't duck fights, arguably has the best resumé of all current heavyweights. 

True. Has some pretty solid wins now on his CV. Still probably looking at a year before he gets the title shot though. Wilder fights Ortiz next and then the Fury rematch is rumoured as next February .

Respect whyte for coming back and winning that. But it's worrying that he can get knocked down..imagine what wilder would do to him?

As for pacman Jesus at 41 what a performance that was. Utter master class.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Respect whyte for coming back and winning that. But it's worrying that he can get knocked down..imagine what wilder would do to him?

That was the best Pacquiao ive seen since he beat Cotto. 

24 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

That was the best Pacquiao ive seen since he beat Cotto. 

Absolutely a complete master class. Can't believe he is the age he is.

Thurman is finished for me. Showed his limitations.

I'm expecting Crawford vs pacman next. 

I've seen Spence is fighting porter in Sept. So you would imagine the winners of those two fights will go on to fight  to unify.

I think it will be Spence vs Crawford with Spence getting the win as i think he is too big for crawford.

Think Spence will.then go up a weight class he will probably clear that class up then I'd like him to go one above that be interesting.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He’s still only 40, you get particular about this sort of thing when you hit middle age.  😶

That said, boxing isn’t even Manny Pacquiao’s day job any more.  I dread to think how much time being in the senate takes out of his life.  

15 hours ago, West said:

I didn't think Whyte looked that great, he didn't look great against Chisora either. Think he will come undone against Wilder/Fury

4 hours ago, KHV said:

I didn't think Whyte looked that great, he didn't look great against Chisora either. Think he will come undone against Wilder/Fury

I thought he boxed very well to be honest, boxed behind the jab, threw in the double jab, some excellent bodywork which visibly slowed down Rivas. Overall he dominated an opponent with a superior amateur pedigree. 

He may well come unstuck against one of the big boys but you can guarantee he will make it a difficult night for both. 

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Won't be watching anymore fights that involves Manny Pacquiao again if like this fight he is not going through the usada testing like any other major fights

• Like 1

Another stark reminder that getting punched in the head a lot really isn't good for you.

Junior welterweight Maxim Dadashev died Tuesday morning as a result of brain injuries suffered during an 11th-round knockout loss to Subriel Matias on Friday night at the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland. Dadashev was 28.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/27244105/boxer-dadashev-dies-friday-fight-injuries

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Luke Campbell fighting Lomachenko

It's a terrible fight and anyone dressing it up as anything else ( basically sky ) are trying to pull the wool over. Campbell has done nothing as a pro to earn a fight of this magnitude. He's not even a draw to the masses in the UK. Has a local following. What's happening at the minute is quite simple. Hearn's uk based fighters are commanding massive purses. He cannot afford to pay them by putting them on regular sky. The licence fee Sky pay for those type fights wouldn't cover what these guys are now earning. Whyte isn't a pay per fighter, not in a million years - but he's on serious coin. PPV revenue the only way he gets paid what he wants. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

It's a terrible fight and anyone dressing it up as anything else ( basically sky ) are trying to pull the wool over. Campbell has done nothing as a pro to earn a fight of this magnitude. He's not even a draw to the masses in the UK. Has a local following. What's happening at the minute is quite simple. Hearn's uk based fighters are commanding massive purses. He cannot afford to pay them by putting them on regular sky. The licence fee Sky pay for those type fights wouldn't cover what these guys are now earning. Whyte isn't a pay per fighter, not in a million years - but he's on serious coin. PPV revenue the only way he gets paid what he wants. 

I agree. Easy win lom

13 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Another stark reminder that getting punched in the head a lot really isn't good for you.

Junior welterweight Maxim Dadashev died Tuesday morning as a result of brain injuries suffered during an 11th-round knockout loss to Subriel Matias on Friday night at the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland. Dadashev was 28.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/27244105/boxer-dadashev-dies-friday-fight-injuries

Saw a video on twitter of his trainer during and after the fight asking him to stop, heart breaking 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Saw a video on twitter of his trainer during and after the fight asking him to stop, heart breaking 

Asking who to stop?  The opponent?  Or the ref to stop it?  Either way, man that's grim :( Don't wanna see that.

Â