The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Well if people defending world titles on the undercard of a PPV event headlined by 2 youtubers isn't a stupid enough way round off the boxing year then Nigel Benn coming out of retirement after 23 years to fight Sakio Bika in 12 round light heavyweight bout at resort world in Birmingham in november is surely the icing on the cake. Turning into "Sports entertainment" at a steadily increasing rate

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, West said:

So Tyson Fury is fighting tomorrow and nobody has a clue. Remarkably inept promotion of arguably the no1 heavyweight in the division. 

It's a nothing fight and they know it. It's the worst kept secret that he's fighting Wilder again in February providing both men get through wallin and ortiz respectively.  That fight needs no promotion. Will be massive. Fury needs rounds. Stay fresh and get to february unscathed. 

10 hours ago, West said:

So Tyson Fury is fighting tomorrow and nobody has a clue. Remarkably inept promotion of arguably the no1 heavyweight in the division. 

Not sure how one would promote a fight against 'Otto Wallin'. It's a pathetic fight with no merit.

Fury also just isn't 'box office', he's not a big star and never will be. He's only a compelling watch when he has a serious opponent in front of him, else very few are that bothered outside of his fanbase. He's just not 'must watch' in the way other genuine stars of the sport have been.

6 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I'm not sure how you can really make a judgement call with that cut.  It definitely ruined the fight, and he had to deal with it for nearly ten rounds.  

He wasn't looking good before the cut in all honesty and yes it would have changed his game plan but given the level of opponent in front of him it really shouldn't have been so life and death, I've seen top boxers with worse cuts look better than that. Then of course Fury was badly hurt in the 12th round against a guy who clearly doesn't have much of a punch.

What I will say is that Fury generally needs to be inspired to perform well, he's had many abject performances against lower level opponents but then has looked very good against higher level opposition, but it still to me speaks of his weaknesses. His fans in particularly heap ridiculous praise on him when he's really not that good.

Well it was entertaining if nothing else. Furys lack of real power made it far more difficult than it should have been. If he had the punch power of Wilder/Joshua he would be very, very difficult to beat. As daft as it is I think a 12 round bloodbath, even against a perceived nobody will do him far more good than getting rid of him in 3 rounds although his right eye will now be an easy target for any future opponents & may come back to haunt him

Edited by LakotaDakota

• 2 weeks later...

Porter Spence was a fun fight and very, very close. Styles makes fights and Spence struggled with the constant pressure and awkward angles Porter gives you by his level changes. Porter can certainly still hang with the best in the division but will more often than not come up short. Spence for me has failed to push on since the Brook fight and doesn't look as good to me as he used to, I was expecting a more dominant display.

On 12/09/2019 at 00:32, LakotaDakota said:

Well if people defending world titles on the undercard of a PPV event headlined by 2 youtubers isn't a stupid enough way round off the boxing year then Nigel Benn coming out of retirement after 23 years to fight Sakio Bika in 12 round light heavyweight bout at resort world in Birmingham in november is surely the icing on the cake. Turning into "Sports entertainment" at a steadily increasing rate

Amazing he's coming out of retirement, especially having a career which included that McClellan fight. He could get badly hurt unless Bika takes it easy.

Â