The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

50 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Billy Joe gone from Warren. You'd expect he'll be announced as a Hearn fighter in the coming weeks and a unification v Callum Smith. No barriers to making that fight now.

That is a fight for the fans. I'd just give Smith the edge, but only just. 

39 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Heavyweight title fight in Saudi Arabia, a new low for boxing.

This to me is all about money. I don't think Hearn and the team are very confident in Joshua. One last night of milking the cash cow before it comes to an end. If Joshua loses again that's the end of it all. May as well as much £ as they can. Saudi Arabia could be one last mega payday for Joshua before he slips into obscurity. Personally I don't think Joshua wants it anymore which is why it's being held in this shit hole.

• Like 2

On 10/08/2019 at 16:50, sheepyvillian said:

I'm hearing Progais has pulled out of his fight with Taylor, due to financial issues with the tournament organisers.  That was one fight that I was hoping to see. 

Could get messy this. The organisers have said all fighters are contractually bound and that the fight will go ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

UFC has totally overtaken boxing in my attention the last 12 months, just feels like its gone stale, where's all the big names and big fights.

It hasn't. Where's all the big UFC fights ? . Where is their star fighter now that McGregor and Rousey have gone ? It's like this, assuming you are more into UFC, i could say to you where are all the big fights in the UFC. You could rattle off a load of names that mean nothing to me. I could do the same with you with boxing. Just because you aren't seeing Mayweather v Pacquiao marquee fights it doesn't mean boxing has gone quiet.

On 20/08/2019 at 20:32, sheepyvillian said:

Really looking forward to Saturday night's boxing.  Moment of truth for Yarde, and I, for one, would love to see him pull it off.

I've given him plenty of stick for fighting nobody up to now. He's pretty much going up drastically in levels Saturday. Kovalev. In Russia. Yikes. Shoukd be worth mentioning also, Yarde was offered more money than his actual fight purse to step aside so Kovalev could make a fight with Canelo quicker. He refused. Wanted his world title shot. Fair play.

13 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

It hasn't. Where's all the big UFC fights ? . Where is their star fighter now that McGregor and Rousey have gone ? It's like this, assuming you are more into UFC, i could say to you where are all the big fights in the UFC. You could rattle off a load of names that mean nothing to me. I could do the same with you with boxing. Just because you aren't seeing Mayweather v Pacquiao marquee fights it doesn't mean boxing has gone quiet.

I've had a keen interest in boxing for 10 years but I'm not a fanatic, there's just nothing going on interesting me at the moment. I suppose when I say big fights I mean fights that interest me, like the best fighting the best.

I've only been into UFC for around 2 years and they are just offering a better product at the moment for me.

25 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I've had a keen interest in boxing for 10 years but I'm not a fanatic, there's just nothing going on interesting me at the moment. I suppose when I say big fights I mean fights that interest me, like the best fighting the best.

I've only been into UFC for around 2 years and they are just offering a better product at the moment for me.

You're right about boxing in many ways, it's currently lacking star power and 'big fights', the best don't fight each other enough for starters but the sport is lacking the really 'big names' so that the really 'big fights' aren't really there. 

On 21/08/2019 at 21:14, Johnnyp said:

I've given him plenty of stick for fighting nobody up to now. He's pretty much going up drastically in levels Saturday. Kovalev. In Russia. Yikes. Shoukd be worth mentioning also, Yarde was offered more money than his actual fight purse to step aside so Kovalev could make a fight with Canelo quicker. He refused. Wanted his world title shot. Fair play.

I just don't get the mentality of people wanting to see him fail. I despise that " told you so " attitude. What's wrong with being positive and confident ? I would love to see the young lad come home with the belt. What an achievement that would be. 

Â