The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

If anything I think tonight makes me more convinced AJ beats Wilder.  He's not going to stand there and trade with Wilder, while AJ has decent power he's not a puncher in the way that, say, Mike Tyson, George Foreman or Lennox Lewis were. If he goes toe to toe with Wilder then there is a good chance he gets caught and he gets beat. I think he can sit behind the jab, know the judges are on his side if the fight is in the UK and if the knockout comes then it comes. 

I think it's a pick em fight still, Wilder always finds a way to get the right hand home and Joshua's defence isn't that good, Wilder remember has a substantial reach advantage on Parker and a longer reach than Joshua. Joshua doesn't defend the straight right hand well so I think Wilder will be able to land it.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more last night smacked of a farce, that referee was a disgrace, totally prevented any in-fighting, he was also an inexperienced unknown, but that's Hearn for you. In addition, I feel like those cards were drawn up before the fight, too wide, 116-112 or 117-111 would have been fair, not the ones that were produced.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Fighter of the night for me,  Josh Kelly. If he shows the right dedication,  then he should go all the way.

Need to watch this, however Kelly is a really exciting talent, and Carlos Molina was a massive step up for only his 6th pro fight, Kelly has some great skills.

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Need to watch this, however Kelly is a really exciting talent, and Carlos Molina was a massive step up for only his 6th pro fight, Kelly has some great skills.

Kelly looked good, Molina didn't have any answers, he didn't have any plan B whatsoever, at times Kelly looked positively bored.

It would have been nice if he could have really hurt Molina and had him in trouble but it was going the distance from the first round.

Molina was a big step up but he's an aging fighter and you could see that, still a great name to have on your record so early into your career.

58 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think it's a pick em fight still, Wilder always finds a way to get the right hand home and Joshua's defence isn't that good, Wilder remember has a substantial reach advantage on Parker and a longer reach than Joshua. Joshua doesn't defend the straight right hand well so I think Wilder will be able to land it.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more last night smacked of a farce, that referee was a disgrace, totally prevented any in-fighting, he was also an inexperienced unknown, but that's Hearn for you. In addition, I feel like those cards were drawn up before the fight, too wide, 116-112 or 117-111 would have been fair, not the ones that were produced.

That will suit aj though he doesn’t like fighters who fight close to him that’s why I think fury could cause him problems. If you think ajs defence is bad wilders is 10x worse. Wilders is non existant. Aj and wilder is 50/50 for me. Both could hurt one another.

i agree about your point about the ref. He was a disgrace. Really did not let them fight and protected aj too much. I don’t think wilder will come here to fight based on that. Probably be the us

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watching boxing in a big stadium after a full day on the piss...i couldnt see a thing! Millenium stadium was a bit shit, low soffit really bad toilets 

Never the best venue, at least in viewing terms, for boxing. Not so bad if your ringside, but not everyone's a film star. 

I remember going to the old Wembley to see Bruno v Witherspoon, the worse viewing  experience ever, which, considering the way the fight went, could be seen as a blessing in disguise. 

46 minutes ago, turnbull said:

Funny someone should mention big Frank, I'm beginning to think of AJ as the the thinking man's Bruno. :P

Why, has AJ started battering women now? ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

How? Hearn is the one putting up the barriers.

How so? It's one man's word against another. Why did Wilder not come to Cardiff as planned? He will duck any legitimate opponent as long as he possibly can. 

5 minutes ago, West said:

How so? It's one man's word against another. Why did Wilder not come to Cardiff as planned? He will duck any legitimate opponent as long as he possibly can. 

Why should he? Whilst it was a PR opportunity lost he has no obligation to fly out, he has been fairly open about wanting the fight, seems clear to me that Hearn is getting in the way, whether it's over the purse or trying to get Wilder to fight Whyte first.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Why should he? Whilst it was a PR opportunity lost he has no obligation to fly out, he has been fairly open about wanting the fight, seems clear to me that Hearn is getting in the way, whether it's over the purse or trying to get Wilder to fight Whyte first.

Wilder cant ask for anything close to what aj wants in terms of split for the money. An has four belts wilder has one. Wilder could havw gone for more belts but didn't.

I believe its that reason that is holding up the fight. Money 

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wilder cant ask for anything close to what aj wants in terms of split for the money. An has four belts wilder has one. Wilder could havw gone for more belts but didn't.

The IBO title doesn't count, it's not recognised

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think they also dont trust UK judges and would prefer to fight somewhere else

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

To me either Wilder (and his team) are not very good business people or they don't want the fight. Imagine how much more hype it would have created had he shown up at Cardiff yesterday. More hype = more money for both men. Hearn & AJ know this, it would appear Wilder and his team do not. 

Edited by West

Â