The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Yes Taylor was very impressive, made OD look amateurish at times with his superior boxing skills. 

Also what do we make of Anthony Yarde? Looks a terrific prospect to me in the light heavyweight division. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yarde certainly carries power but it is hard to gauge where he is until he fights someone who is going to push him. 

Agreed but just his poise and explosiveness catches the eye. Definitely one to watch. 

Has there been much(or any) promotion of the world boxing super series over here? 

I haven't seen any yet, but seeing as super middleweight has groves and Smith(Hearn?) and possibly eubank and to a lesser extent Cox who I think is with Hearn as well I expected to hear a bit more and have a bit more hype.

Have I just managed to miss it all?

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What bellend would pay that ? :crylaugh:

Same bellends that will pay this:

Dana White warned us ahead of time ... and now it has been confirmed. The pay-per-view (PPV) price for the upcoming super fight between Floyd Mayweather and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Lightweight champion Conor McGregor -- which is scheduled to go down inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Aug. 26, 2017 — has been revealed.

And it isn’t cheap.

USA TODAY Sports has the details:

The standard definition purchase of the Aug. 26 fight from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas will set you back $89.95, with the high-definition version costing $99.95.

100 bucks for, whats essentially an exhibition-match.

11 hours ago, Tegis said:

Same bellends that will pay this:

100 bucks for, whats essentially an exhibition-match.

Can you just imagine if it went the way the wider boxing world are predicting it to go.  Knockout within a few rounds and Conor not landing a glove :lol: "Hi, can  I get a refun.... hello? Are you still there?"

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Can you just imagine if it went the way the wider boxing world are predicting it to go.  Knockout within a few rounds and Conor not landing a glove :lol: "Hi, can  I get a refun.... hello? Are you still there?"

If mcgregor knocked him out first round, i bet you would get silly odds on that 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

If mcgregor knocked him out first round, i bet you would get silly odds on that 

40/1.  In fact he's mostly 40s for each of the first 7 rounds.  It then goes up from there.  The longer it goes on, the more Floyd's intelligence will figure Conor out.  So if Conor has ANY chance of knocking him out, it'll be in the early rounds while he's still relatively unpredictable.

17 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Has there been much(or any) promotion of the world boxing super series over here? 

I haven't seen any yet, but seeing as super middleweight has groves and Smith(Hearn?) and possibly eubank and to a lesser extent Cox who I think is with Hearn as well I expected to hear a bit more and have a bit more hype.

Have I just managed to miss it all?

Not really kicked off the hype yet, starts in September I think. The super-middleweight line up isn't that good tbh, the Cruiserweight line up however is top class, can't wait for it. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Watched the highlights, something jumped out for me straight away

"dance for me boy"

calling a black man "boy" has a racial connotation to it, I thought mayweather was going to go for him but he should "dance for me son" a few seconds later and mayweather strutted away, he'll get stick for it in America 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Watched the highlights, something jumped out for me straight away

"dance for me boy"

calling a black man "boy" has a racial connotation to it, I thought mayweather was going to go for him but he should "dance for me son" a few seconds later and mayweather strutted away, he'll get stick for it in America 

Sorry but that is ridiculous has absolutely nothing to do with skin colour 

32 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

McGregor has the look of a man there to pick up a pay cheque. From the UFC conferences I've seen I've always been took back by the belief he has in himself, he doesn't appear to have the same confidence, and rightly so.

I dont know mate i thought he looked pretty confident to me. Mayweather didnt look his normal self to me. He said afterwards he thinks he is a alot slower than what he use to be. But i think thats just a act

I'm sure there was any racial malice from McGregor when he said dance for me boy, it was clear why he said it, Mayweather was doing some moves and Conor naturally responded.  Mayweather Snr confirms himself there was no racial connotations felt from the comment

Edited by supermon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

McGregor has the look of a man there to pick up a pay cheque. From the UFC conferences I've seen I've always been took back by the belief he has in himself, he doesn't appear to have the same confidence, and rightly so.

The press conference was different to what he's used to. I'd imagine he'll come into his own as they go on. 

Â