• Dunne
    • L Young
    • Friedel
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Albrighton (for Reo-Coker 72)
    • Sidwell (for Downing 79)

If I was Richard Scudamore and I ran what I constantly told people was the most successful league in the world, not in terms of achievement mind you, that'd be Spain, not in terms of bums on seats, that'd be Germany, but in terms of the amount of money from commercial and television deals; If I was Richard Scudamore and considered TV money success and if I considered and had publicly stated that having a stable and reliable big four was good for the success of that league as it made it simple for east asian markets to identify with a successful brand, yet still keep some level of competition; If I was Richard Scudamore and considered the big four to be key to the success of the Premiership, then I would know exactly what I would expect of my referees.

If I was Peter Walton, and I was up for the top job in refereeing at the end of the season; If I was Peter Walton who had already been threatened with demotion after giving a very dodgy penalty to Liverpool against small heath earlier this season; if I was Peter Walton with something to lose and I knew what my employer expected of me, I might call in sick and maybe get one of the juniors to do the job.

If I was Lee Probert and my potential future boss took me to one side and explained that his boss and the man that runs the league believed that the continued success of Liverpool football club was key to the success of the Premiership and that I should do as was expected of me...

I still don't think I could have produced a more obviously bent performance than he managed.

Well done Mr Probert.

You're a cock.

That is quite possibly the single BEST post I have ever read on Villa Talk.

Brilliant! We played against 12 men tonight. Disgraceful refereeing performance and an all-too-common occurance when playing one of the "sky 4".

I'm currently being told by a Scouser that we were second best all game, set out for a draw and were clinging on at the end for a nil nil.

Well, they do say we all see things differently but...

that'll be that legendary scouse sense of humour...

Yep. Some absolute dross posted online about the game and MON by their fans. Liverpool were pretty awful all night and we certainly weren't second best. This performance was big for them but they are still playing poorly and won't get forth on this form, as much as I dislike Spurs I hope they turn over Liverpool.

First half - dull affair, nothing really in it.

Second half - Friedel mostly a spectator, best chances went to us and had some good periods of pressure

The goal was a sickener, think the nature of it being in the 93rd minute was worse than anything though. I heard people coming out of the Holte saying 'absolute daylight robbery' as if we'd dominated the game from start to finish, if there had deserved to be a winner in what wasn't a great game, it was us. That's what happens though if the game stays nil nil, only takes one moment when the opposition have players like Gerrard and Torres.

"It is a blow to us but in terms of confidence shaking - absolutely not. Steadfast, we will go again. We will start again on Saturday."

"It was a cruel defeat; we shouldn't have been beaten, we should have won the game," said a visibly deflated O'Neill. "I think everyone in the stadium and on the TV would have said that.

"We should have won the game and we didn't do and we will have to pick ourselves up and we are capable of doing that.

"Their goalkeeper has made two incredible saves. How he kept out Downing's volley in the first half I will never know.

"We haven't had to deal with too much during the course of the game. By the time they scored we should have been home and dry.

"I'm disappointed - In three or four days people will forget the nature of the game and just look at the statistics."

MON's post match comments

I'm currently being told by a Scouser that we were second best all game, set out for a draw and were clinging on at the end for a nil nil.

guess which opinion the red tops will side with tomorrow?

HONESTLY?

If we had Fabregas & Torres in our team we'd be challenging for the title.

Friedel - Nothin Wrong

Young - Solid

Warnock - Fooked up but still solid

Dunne - Brick

Cueller - Shakey

Milner - 110%

Downing - Looked lost

Petrov - He played?

NRC - Why subbed?

Carew - Standard

Gabby - 110%

I seriously think Petrov & Carlos need breaks. Bring in Collins & NRC we'll be back to winning ways.

Agree with 100%.

Weve got the best defense in the league and have great quality when we get the ball in dangerous positions.

A better CF to hel Gabby out and a better CM to help Milner would make us SERIOUS title challengers.

To be honest we have got to get over this!

It's just one of those things that happens. We did exactly the same thing to other teams last season and we weren't complaining then. Think Everton away, Hull away, West Ham away were all lucky victories last season that were probably not deserved.

As long as we get half points from all league games each month I'll be happy as that'll mean that come the end of the season we will be close to the 4th spot.

By the way, by half points I mean......

In January we play....

Wigan (A)

West Ham (H)

Arsenal (H)

Fulham (A)

As long as we get 6 points out of 12 from them games. Realistically we could get 9-12 but that is only if we put in some amazing performances.

Just do that for every month up until May

I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the outfielders because their contributions were largely insignificant almost to a man. Freidel got my vote because he did nothing wrong and saved us in two instances; tipping over Gerrard's shot and rushing on to Cuellar's dodgy headed backpass. Too bad it was all for naught. Nobody else inspired, though NRC worked hard and Gabby's hold up play was of a reasonable standard. Our passing was poor to ordinary for the greater portion. Luke Young was mostly dreadful.

Perhaps the conditions were a mitigating factor but that was a shocking advertisement for Premier League football given the lofty position of the two clubs involved. It capped off 2009 as possibly the worst game I've seen this year, and I've attended the A-League! Nobody "deserved" to win. Downing's volley, Milner's deft, left touchline drag back and turn and Torres' finish were rare instances of high quality. I didn't know how to react when the goal went in because, even as a staunch Villa fan, the football fan in me was thankful for the moment of brilliance.

A lot of self-pity crap on here. This is challenging the big4!

IMO this was much better play and performance against Liverpool than the 3-1 victory in August. This was 50/50 against a club with permanent Champions League status and a draw would have been a fair result. Good show, jolly good show IMO!

And the attitude should be: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger!

This is challenging the big4. Good game!

how on earth does mon think we deserved to win that game? it just shows that everyone has there own opion on what they watch.

it just pisses me off when mon starts moaning about playing two games in 48 hours, surely after 3 years in charge our squad should be able to handle these type of fixture pile ups.

that'll be that legendary scouse sense of humour...

They said on BBC news last night that Liverpool largely dominated the game.

:evil:

Shit happens.

The result neither makes them top 4 world beaters, nor stops us being top 4 pretenders, just one of those nights.

Damn cold though!!!

Everyone who hasn't got a ticket for Saturday should now get one and go down to roar on the lads and show them how much we appreciate their efforts.

Good game I thought, we did ok but didn't take our chances. Gabby & Carew should both have scored... Torres did, and that's the difference - they have a world class striker, we don't. Not the end of the world, we'll be back.

"It is a blow to us but in terms of confidence shaking - absolutely not. Steadfast, we will go again. We will start again on Saturday."

"It was a cruel defeat; we shouldn't have been beaten, we should have won the game," said a visibly deflated O'Neill. "I think everyone in the stadium and on the TV would have said that.

"We should have won the game and we didn't do and we will have to pick ourselves up and we are capable of doing that.

"Their goalkeeper has made two incredible saves. How he kept out Downing's volley in the first half I will never know.

"We haven't had to deal with too much during the course of the game. By the time they scored we should have been home and dry.

"I'm disappointed - In three or four days people will forget the nature of the game and just look at the statistics."

MON's post match comments

I like his comments - made me feel better.

A lot of self-pity crap on here. This is challenging the big4!

IMO this was much better play and performance against Liverpool than the 3-1 victory in August. This was 50/50 against a club with permanent Champions League status and a draw would have been a fair result. Good show, jolly good show IMO!

And the attitude should be: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger!

This is challenging the big4. Good game!

Could not agree more. Good post.

how on earth does mon think we deserved to win that game? it just shows that everyone has there own opion on what they watch.

it just pisses me off when mon starts moaning about playing two games in 48 hours, surely after 3 years in charge our squad should be able to handle these type of fixture pile ups.

It is difficult to build two teams of strong 11. Nobody bar Chelsea has that. So of course it has an effect that Liverpool had 50% more rest than us.