• Dunne
    • L Young
    • Friedel
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Albrighton (for Reo-Coker 72)
    • Sidwell (for Downing 79)

Downing has been disappointing for me. What does he add offensively?

i thought to start with he looked cool, calm and classy on the ball. a little un-match-fit but a quality signing.

the last couple of matches i have thought that he looks too casual, lightweight and not very comitted.

i'm sure he will be a really good player but he needs to spend a summer in the gym with gabby i think. maybe he is still a bit affected by his injury and doesnt feel over confident about going in for the 50/50s but if ash can make 40 yard dashes back into our box to make last gasp tackles then i dont see why we cant expect similar levels of determination from downing.

Anyone see MON's post match interview? He was down and rather negative. I'd rather see a more positive reaction , gung ho spirit and saying we'll turn it around starting on Saturday. I was extremely hackd off tonight but have calmed down now

Anyone see MON's post match interview? He was down and rather negative. I'd rather see a more positive reaction , gung ho spirit and saying we'll turn it around starting on Saturday. I was extremely hackd off tonight but have calmed down now

Of course he was down.....look at his favorite sons

Heskey is injured

Cuellar and Petrov didn't play well tonight

snowychap: This is what you said.

Gutted.

I like Gabby and think he'll make up into a cracking player but swap Gabby for Torres and we'd have won 2-0 tonight.

Well, it isn't quite what I said as you missed the following:

which is an unfair comment on Gabby but a fair comment on the game, I think...

Ok, you have absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever only what your putting down to stats, and at the same time your comparing the fact that had Torres been in the Villa side we would have won 2-0. How do you know that, you simply don't

Please show me the proof of that.

It is called an opinion.

I gave my opinion of what would have happened had Torres and Gabby swapped sides.

There is no 'proof' because it is conjecture. It didn't happen; it was my opinion on what would have happened.

BTW, I pointed out that you accused me of saying something which I did not say.

Whatever you may think, I didn't say what you associated with me (i.e the world class player comment).

It appears that you are more concerned with seeing yourself 'right' and arguing a case rather than listening to the opinions of others and discussing those (because if you'd bothered - again bothered - to read what I wrote then you'd fail to see criticism of Gabby whereas you might see acknowledgement that Gabby hasn't quite made it, yet).

I certainly did watch it, and at the ground so could see all the off the ball "work" he does or doesn't do. Sorry if i'm presuming you watched it on tv, but seriously he was 20 yards off the pace nearly all game

So, 'at the ground', you saw the bit in the first half when he sprinted all the way back to the edge of our box to win the ball back, did you?

I'm currently being told by a Scouser that we were second best all game, set out for a draw and were clinging on at the end for a nil nil.

Well, they do say we all see things differently but...

that'll be that legendary scouse sense of humour...

Heskey is injured

Yep, surely that's all the manager is concerned about, isn't it?

Watching the footage, I saw the pain on MON's face just after Torres scored when he was in the dugout with his head in his hands.

Regardless of whether you think he is doing a good job or not, to think that he is only concerned with the performance of a few individuals rather than the results of the team is pretty perverse.

FFS we were shit. Poor performance against arsenal, now this. We are a hit and hoof team and don't deserve 4th spot with performances like this.

This was a SIGNIFICANT improvement on the Arsenal performance.

In horrendous conditions, there was no shortage of skill, passion and desire to win. MON got the tactics spot on and made, I believe, the correct substitutions. He went to win the match and for the last 20 mins we had Liverpool petrified.

Agree. As sickening as it is to lose a game in that way, there were a lot of positives:

Albrighton didn't have a lot to do, but what he did, he did well. I think he has as much to offer as Ashley Young at the moment, especially with Young out of form and being triple marked all the time.

We were at least as good as Liverpool for 92 minutes.

Reo-Coker played very well.

James Milner seems to be getting low ratings from everyone, but I thought he was just as good as ever. He is truly brilliant, astonishingly good at picking a pass.

On the down side, I remember thinking after 5 minutes of the second half "We aren't going to score in this game." As many have said, we lack a class striker. Carew tried reasonably hard, but nearly all of his flick-ons were badly directed. Gabby was quite good, but miles off top class on this display. He never looked like scoring at all.

Like at Arsenal, we were as threatening as kittens in the final 3rd. Worrying, that.

Agree with all youve said, bar the Milner comment.

He is just not as good as being described at the moment. His passing today was at times ok, at others totally woeful, bearing in mind when he went into the middle he was supposed to be our most creative outlet as an attacking midfielder.

If we were to buy one player in Jan, I hope its an attacking midfielder with craft, imagination and vision.

I only saw one Milner pass that was "woeful". Milner is an attacking midfielder with craft, imagination and vision. Most of the time today the ball was being hoofed over his head from both ends. It seemed to me that whenever Milner was given the ball in space, he did some good with it.

Heskey is injured

Yep, surely that's all the manager is concerned about, isn't it?

Watching the footage, I saw the pain on MON's face just after Torres scored when he was in the dugout with his head in his hands.

Regardless of whether you think he is doing a good job or not, to think that he is only concerned with the performance of a few individuals rather than the results of the team is pretty perverse.

I noticed the pain on NRC'S face when substited. despite playing better than the chap alongside him.

Wonder when Collins will get another match

Can't believe Gabby is getting the stick...would've given MOTM as I thought his hold up play on scraps was brilliant and he ran Carragher ragged. It was a decent chance but not as gilt edged as Downing's who should've burst the net. You simply have to take a chance like that in a game against someone like Liverpool.

I noticed the pain on NRC'S face when substited. despite playing better than the chap alongside him.

Wonder when Collins will get another match

A bit of a non-sequitur, surely?

p.s. I'd guess that Coker's disappointment after the game was firstly with the result rather than his substitution. If you are suggesting the contrary then I'm not sure he's the right player for Villa.

HONESTLY?

If we had Fabregas & Torres in our team we'd be challenging for the title.

Friedel - Nothin Wrong

Young - Solid

Warnock - Fooked up but still solid

Dunne - Brick

Cueller - Shakey

Milner - 110%

Downing - Looked lost

Petrov - He played?

NRC - Why subbed?

Carew - Standard

Gabby - 110%

I seriously think Petrov & Carlos need breaks. Bring in Collins & NRC we'll be back to winning ways.