• L Young
    • Friedel
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Albrighton (for Reo-Coker 72)
    • Sidwell (for Downing 79)

The simple facts are thus:

We aren't as good as the top four teams - nor do we have world class players that can score from nothing, like Tevez, Torres, Rooney, etc. We knew that before tonight - it's not news.

We have an excellent team spirit, some good attacking talent and a defence who have been flawless for about 15 games and have made one mistake tonight in an otherwise excellent defensive showing. We're a good solid team and give anyone a game, as this season has shown.

We have played the 'top four' teams 5 times this season, beating Liverpool away, Man United away and Chelsea at home, losing to Liverpool in the 94th minute thanks to an unfortunate ricochet and being outclassed by a terrific Arsenal on their own patch - and even that only when they brought on their matchwinner in Fabregas. On another day, we'd have scored at the other end and been 4th tonight. We didn't play very well, but it was snowy, draining and Liverpool were no better than us tonight, as most people would agree.

Our teams does have limitations in creativity and we don't pass it like some other teams. But we're effective enough to have lost the last 2 games and still be two points off 4th position. We need to continue to improve, but there's no need for all this '**** waste of space' nonsense.

The season hasn't ended, there is no cause for panic and this is purely the disappointment from losing two games against two good teams, both of whom would be expected to finish above us. No drama, no overreactions - yes, we're not the finished article and could do with buying another striker to support Gabby. But again, we knew that before tonight, it's not news.

And that is all.

That post is bang on the nail

We aren't as good as the top four teams - nor do we have world class players that can score from nothing, like Tevez, Torres, Rooney, etc. We knew that before tonight - it's not news.

We have an excellent team spirit, some good attacking talent and a defence who have been flawless for about 15 games and have made one mistake tonight in an otherwise excellent defensive showing. We're a good solid team and give anyone a game, as this season has shown.

We have played the 'top four' teams 5 times this season, beating Liverpool away, Man United away and Chelsea at home, losing to Liverpool in the 94th minute thanks to an unfortunate ricochet and being outclassed by a terrific Arsenal on their own patch - and even that only when they brought on their matchwinner in Fabregas. On another day, we'd have scored at the other end and been 4th tonight. We didn't play very well, but it was snowy, draining and Liverpool were no better than us tonight, as most people would agree.

Our teams does have limitations in creativity and we don't pass it like some other teams. But we're effective enough to have lost the last 2 games and still be two points off 4th position. We need to continue to improve, but there's no need for all this '**** waste of space' nonsense.

The season hasn't ended, there is no cause for panic and this is purely the disappointment from losing two games against two good teams, both of whom would be expected to finish above us. No drama, no overreactions - yes, we're not the finished article and could do with buying another striker to support Gabby. But again, we knew that before tonight, it's not news.

Yes, quite a measured assessment.

And that is all.

Why are you posting on here? Don't you realise you're not allowed to talk sense on forums after a loss?

Sorry, forgot myself in the excitement and emotion and just posted some horrendous drivel that I'll be ashamed of tomorrow.

Look we have Wigan and West Ham! For me games which are winnable, Spurs have Liverpool! We beat Wigan were higher than Spurs! I'd rather us be in this position with teams writing us off! I'd say we are 2 players short, were still hanging in there!

both of whom we have already lost to, due to piss poor tactics and selection.

Whilst we should destroy them we most likely wont

You could also says we've beat Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool, doesnt mean we'll beat them again this season! Its all doom and gloom i tells ya!

And that is all.

Why are you posting on here? Don't you realise you're not allowed to talk sense on forums after a loss?

Sorry, forgot myself in the excitement and emotion and just posted some horrendous drivel that I'll be ashamed of tomorrow.

...yes and these threads are "kept for posterity" so every time you try and say something in the future we will just ridicule you and post links to your inane ramblings of truth and level-headedness.

It was a freezing horrible night. I thought we lacked creativity and in a way I thought we missed A.Young as I think we look a better team with Milner in the middle. Carew looked very lacklustre again today and majority of the time was defending not attacking and if we ever broke he wasn't up with the play.

I will do some ratings:

Friedel- 7 didn't have a lot to do.

Young- 7 Solid at the back again.

Dunne- 8 Controls the backline.

Warnock- 7 Had a good game apart from the incident.

Milner- 7 Worked hard as usually does.

Petrov- 6 Went missing for large amounts of the game.

NRC- 6 Put in a few good tackles but went missing also.

Downing- 7 Should have scored.

Agbonglahor- 7 I thought he worked hard, holding up the ball and looking up to find passes etc..

Carew- 6 Didn't do much, did more defending than attacking.

Sidwell- 5 Didn't see him do much.

Albrighton- 5 Again didn't have time to make an impact.

EDIT- Forgot Cuellar in all the excitment- 7 Thought he made some crucial challenges.

I agree with some of the sentiments here after this difficult loss, but I stand by my contention that the dreadful playing conditions had a huge bearing on the quality of play overall and the difficulty in making what might be straightforward touches in the snow. I saw plenty of effort and some very bright moments but all in all it was a poor game on both sides and I attribute that mainly to the soggy slippery state of the filed of play.

But no, we don't have Fernando Torres in our squad...

It was a freezing horrible night. I thought we lacked creativity and in a way I thought we missed A.Young as I think we look a better team with Milner in the middle. Carew looked very lacklustre again today and majority of the time was defending not attacking and if we ever broke he wasn't up with the play.

I will do some ratings:

Friedel- 7 didn't have a lot to do.

Young- 7 Solid at the back again.

Dunne- 8 Controls the backline.

Warnock- 7 Had a good game apart from the incident.

Milner- 7 Worked hard as usually does.

Petrov- 6 Went missing for large amounts of the game.

NRC- 6 Put in a few good tackles but went missing also.

Downing- 7 Should have scored.

Agbonglahor- 7 I thought he worked hard, holding up the ball and looking up to find passes etc..

Carew- 6 Didn't do much, did more defending than attacking.

Sidwell- 5 Didn't see him do much.

Albrighton- 5 Again didn't have time to make an impact.

blimey cuellar made a big impression on you didnt he?

The difference between the two teams was that they have two world class players, and we don't.

We have John Carew, who missed the one clear chance to score that he had. With have Gabby Agbonlahor who failed to score with the one chance he had.

They had Torres. He only needs one chance.

That is the type of player that makes the top four who they are. It's also the type of player that we as a club can unfortunately only dream of. Work ethic will only get you so far. It's pretty far up - I'll give you that, mind.

Yeah I agree we were unlucky today,but we have got no one else to blame but ourselves.We didnt take the chances we created and we dominated the game and it always come back and haunt you.Our last 2 games we have gave away position and not hit our targets way to easy to the other team and this creates mistakes.Dont know why Downing or NRC camed off they were looking the goods.I really thought we lerned from the slump this year from last at the same time.

"I heard Harry Redknapp speaking the other day about how fickle it all can be. He said you can win two consecutive games and you're unbeatable and you lose a couple of games and you're useless. I think the same applies to us."

I think as much as a difference torres made tonight for liverpool in a good sense Carew made for us in a bad sense.

I have never see anyone so lazy ever - and i have seen Dalian Atkinson play! Carew was absolutely abysmal - always 20 yards behind the play. Often just seemed to go whereever he wanted, everytime we had the ball in an attacking position going forward - he was always way behind play, was nowhere near the central defenders instead he'd be sauntering around the half way line or out wide.

When they were attacking he'd walk back into the middle of the park following the ball (walking towards it) but not doing anything, we'd win the ball back thru NRC or petrov and break foward and he'd still be standing motionless inside our half.

I though perhaps it was an instruction from the manager (which would've been sheer stupidity - but I wouldn't put it past him) but when we played the ball up top and kept it on the wings and Carew had managed to trott upfront as soon as they clear, he'd stand there and not look to get back -so he can't have been instructed to play deep.

It seems because he's a fans favourite he thonks he can do what he wants -well he was beyond shit today and if MON thinks that performance was good enough then you have to question him.

I almost feel embarrassed to say it but roll on the comeback of Big Emile - because he's worth 50 of Carew based on the effort he has put in this season.

I think if we'd have started Albrighton instead of Carew we'd have won.

Gutted.

I like Gabby and think he'll make up into a cracking player but swap Gabby for Torres and we'd have won 2-0 tonight (which is an unfair comment on Gabby but a fair comment on the game, I think).

No way of proving it obviously, but no way.

You don't seriously believe a player like Torres would risk his rep playing front of a midfield like Villa's...then he would have to put a 90 minute shift in and rely utterly on his individual ability to make anything happen.

Turn this around, How much a better player would Gabby be if he had midfielders like Gerrard, Benayoun, and link players like Kuyt. constantly feeding him, no mate. no way.

To say if Torres had have been in Gabby's position tonight he would have scored, you only have to look at the amount of work Gabby had to do first to get into that position, now if you had said Downing's first half sitter, yes i would agree, because you had to do more to miss that than to score. Gabby's subsequent cross over to Carew who simply just did nothing just stand there, i would agree, then compare with the Torres goal who almost seem to stroll the ball into the box and side foot past Friedal completely relaxed, because the guy hasn't done anything until that moment.

The boys gave it their all and them having 24 hours longer to rest was a major contribution to us not being really at it today. Dunne Slipping cost us and a deflection into a world class strikers path. Its not the end of the world we are 2 points clear of Liverpool and we are 2 behind Spurs still all to play for in my opinion.

Gutted! But the past 2 games we have been beaten by 2 class players. Yeah we weren't great at arsenal, but we weren't as horrendous as some are making out, until Fabregas came on we looked like we could have maybe got something from the game, but his little bit of class changed it.

And tonight we were the same, not great but not terrible, and we deserved a point, liverpool played better than us at points, but at other times we looked a lot more threatening than them. But again we were beaten by a little bit of class.

These are the type of players we need, and we all know it is easier said than done, but we deffo need a big player like Torres and Fabregas. I said to my mate before the game that liverpool have been crap recently, and if they defend like they did at pompey we'll do em, but I also said they have Torres and Gerrard who can win matches. This is what we need, we've got the manager, we've got the foundations of a good squad, we've got the defence and we've got a great team spirit and work ethic, we jus need our magic man.

I just hope the lads dont drop their heads and pick themselves up for blackburn, its a must win game or we risk ging on to lose the away leg next week, and then we're looking at a repeat of last season!