What was MON's biggest mistake?

Enda

What has been MON's biggest mistake?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. What has been MON's biggest mistake?

• Giving up in the UEFA Cup
    • Selling Gary Cahill
    • Not focusing enough on the cups in Years 1-3
    • Heskey/4-4-2/Last season's capitulation
    • Letting Mellberg go too easy
    • Carson/Harewood/Salifou/Routledge
    • Other (please specify)

Please let's not turn this into a "MON OUT" thread. I think he's the man for the job. I want us to play less hoofball, but that's a pretty small complaint in the grand scheme of things.

However the man has made many decisions that could probably be called mistakes: effectively swapping Cahill for Knight, sending out kids to the UEFA Cup, insisting on 4-4-2 last season, etc. Of course all of these have other sides to the coin: Cahill wanted to leave, we needed to focus on getting fourth, Heskey could have been a sensation, etc. But what, in your opinion, was his biggest mistake? Why?

For me, it's letting Mellberg leave too easy. This is rarely talked about, but he could have been immense for us last season and possibly provided the stability to bring us Top 4. Once Juventus called, he was gone. And fair dues to Olof, nobody begrudged him that move. But what does upset me is that a couple of months before all that, while in negotiations about renewing the contract, Mellberg was put to RB. I think it was pretty clear he wasn't happy to be doing this, but soldiered on anyway. We let a top-class CB leave without much of a fight.

(Sorry if a poll like this has been done before, I couldn't find one.)

I went for Salifou, Harewood etc.

Giving up the UEFA cup was a big mistake BUT, a call I think a lot of managers would have made. Had we gone on to beat SToke and carry on our run it would have been seen a s a good decision.

Selling Cahill wasn't a mistake.

Not focusing on the cups wasn't a mistake

Hesky/442/capitulation are all seperate issues. Can't be grouped as 1.

He didn't let Mellberg go. He saw out his contract. I'm sure he was given plenty of opportunity to stay.

We just had one of the best results we've had for ages and on here we have a thread where people can moan about the captain, another thread making a poll of who is our worst player and now we can focus on any mistakes the manager makes.

Is it any wonder villa fans have this moaning reputation?

WTF is wrong with us........"worst player of the season" & "worst decision O Neill has made".....with us fourth in the league and on the back of a win over Manure........god help us if we lose tonight - there'll be mass suicide!!!

Excactly what I was thinking. Whats with all the negativity on here today :?

I won't be voting

WTF is wrong with us........"worst player of the season" & "worst decision O Neill has made".....with us fourth in the league and on the back of a win over Manure........god help us if we lose tonight - there'll be mass suicide!!!

Excactly what I was thinking. Whats with all the negativity on here today :?

It's just ridiculous though, I don't want to go down the path of the "better fan parody" as we all know where that ends but I just find it very strange how some people 'support' this club, whatever floats your boat though U guess.

Â