What was MON's biggest mistake?

Enda

What has been MON's biggest mistake?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. What has been MON's biggest mistake?

• Giving up in the UEFA Cup
    • Selling Gary Cahill
    • Not focusing enough on the cups in Years 1-3
    • Heskey/4-4-2/Last season's capitulation
    • Letting Mellberg go too easy
    • Carson/Harewood/Salifou/Routledge
    • Other (please specify)

Anybody trying to blame MON for the draw against Stoke is just being silly. The players should have strolled it, they funked it, and they knew it.

Agree though maybe we should have brought someone on. Players should be covering a 2-0 lead though.

I've gone for the "Heskey/4-4-2" option. Not so much Heskey or the formation was the problem, is was the changing of something that was working so well, there was no need.

Europa League: Our first XI 'lost' the first leg and I don't think we'd have gone through anyway. Imagine if we'd have picked up an injury in the 2nd leg as well and then missed out on 4th? It was lose/lose for MON, so I don't blame him. I backed his decision.

Gary Cahill: Would be 5th choice defender if he was still here. Good sale.

Cups: It's not a case of not focusing n the Cups. We played United a few times and Everton who were beaten finalists. Can't help the draw at times.

Mellberg: 'Let him go'? We didn't let him go.

Carson, Harewood, etc: All small signings with little risk. Carson was poor but we still finished 6th. I don't think we'd have really moved up or down with any other realistic keeper, they wouldn't have saved us enough points. Harewood did his job, the others barely played.

Europa League: Our first XI 'lost' the first leg and I don't think we'd have gone through anyway. Imagine if we'd have picked up an injury in the 2nd leg as well and then missed out on 4th? It was lose/lose for MON, so I don't blame him. I backed his decision.

Imagine if we'd gone on to win the cup and then finish 4th.

Imagine if we'd gone on to win the cup and then finish 4th.

Just not very realistic. We were losing after the first leg (Yes, drawing 1-1 at home is losing), so being realistic, we weren't going to go to Moscow and beat them, they're far better at home than away and they still took a lead back to Moscow.

Just not very realistic. We were losing after the first leg (Yes, drawing 1-1 at home is losing), so being realistic, we weren't going to go to Moscow and beat them, they're far better at home than away and they still took a lead back to Moscow.

And if they'd "lost" at home 1-1, it would have at least gone to penalties. Given that we'd won away (and that's actually won, you know, that old "scoring more goals than the opposition routine)" at places like Arsenal and Everton last season, I don't share your certainty that we couldn't have overturned the first leg "defeat" (which of course, was nothing of the sort).

No need to get all sarcy, you know exactly what I meant by me saying we 'lost' the first leg. Had there been no goals in the 2nd game, we'd have gone out. So okay, we didn't lose the first leg, but we were losing the tie.

Of course there's no certainty that we would have lost the 2nd leg, but we couldn't beat them at home and then had to go and play in Moscow.. I think the odds were against us.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Attempting to break into the top 4 is far bigger than possibly going throgh to the Round of 16 in the UEFA Cup, to me, I felt he made the right decision.

Wearing a black top when the opposition are playing in black and being forced to change. I'm sure this has happened before.

Then not having a replacement blue top that fits properly. Again, I think this happened last time as well.

Clearly this clown should go.

Hey, I haven't really looked at this thread into too much depth but I thought I'd make a very short and sweet post.

Aren't all the mistakes listed in the poll made last season or in previous seasons? We're at the present and looking into a very bright future, why are we dwelling on past mistakes made by O'Neill?

Hey, I haven't really looked at this thread into too much depth but I thought I'd make a very short and sweet post.

Aren't all the mistakes listed in the poll made last season or in previous seasons? We're at the present and looking into a very bright future, why are we dwelling on past mistakes made by O'Neill?

Yep, I've said in the middle of the thread to all the people who posted rubbish like "we just won at Old Trafford, we can't possibly discuss the past" that this thread isn't a MON bashing festival. I'm absolutely delighted with our form, with the last transfer window and that with Downing it looks like we're passing the ball more.

But that does not mean that MON has never made a mistake. Nor does it mean we can't look back and learn from previous decisions.

FWIW, I think it'd be much more negative/cynical to have made this thread during a bad run of form.

Up the Villa.

The fact he never rotates players, he should have rested Warnock recently and played Shorey (obviously having not loaned him out). Giving one player at a time a rest and bringing in a squad player will pay dividends at the back end of the season.

Agbonlahor should come off when we've a game won. So if 2-0 at half time take him off. Then other players need a one game rest, if done when we've only got a game every 7 days it can be a rest of almost 2 weeks. That can be a big rest.

Either that or give up on the FA Cup now, and focus of Premier League and Carling Cup.

I actually kinda liked Routledge and wish he had stayed. Talented little fecker he is. Too bad he didn't want to fight for his place.

The squad he fielded out in Moscow was criminal, especially with the amount of fans that went out there, but MON redeemed himself.

Last January transfer window was probably the biggest mistake. He really shoulda (and probably coulda) got more faces then just Heskey...

Anybody trying to blame MON for the draw against Stoke is just being silly. The players should have strolled it, they funked it, and they knew it.

Agree though maybe we should have brought someone on. Players should be covering a 2-0 lead though.

Particularly a 2-0 lead with 2 minutes to go!

Â