General Chat

Stevo985

Bloody hell, cynical shower of bastards, aren't ye? :)

FYI: We're trying to save up for our first house at the moment, so we can't afford to save for a wedding at the same time. We know we both want to marry each other, so getting engaged is the natural thing to do. Gives us time to fully plan out the wedding whilst we finish saving up for a deposit on a house, then as soon as we move in we can start saving for the wedding. This shit ain't cheap!

Then bloody say so! :D

what's the difference between being engaged and being married?

When your married they can legal steal half of everything you own!

Don't get married then. Still don't see the point of engagement.

Surely there has to be a period of time betweeb you both deciding you're getting married, and actually getting married.

Unless you are strolling past a church, make the decision and go straight in and get married.

Unless you're referring to the people who get engaged and never set a date, so end up engaged for years and years, in which case yeah that's stupid

Well that's kinda what I meant, yeah. It's the idea of having "engagement parties" and buying rings and all that; you're going to do that for your wedding anyway, so don't do it twice!

We just decided in about March/April that we'd get married, and the church (yes, church - I know, I know...) was available in September so that was the date. We told people as and when we saw them.

If they asked us if we were engaged, we just said "Well if you mean 'are we planning to get married?', then yes". There was a ring, but it was one that had belonged to my grandmother and was a gift from my mum. I wouldn't have bought one, nor would she have wanted me to - we were trying to save for a house deposit, which we regarded as a far better use for the money than a flash wedding, let alone an engagement.

Still, different strokes and all that.

we were trying to save for a house deposit, which we regarded as a far better use for the money than a flash wedding

Saving for a house is no doubt extremely important but surely a nice wedding is equally imperative as well. After all, you get to do it only once in your life (at least in theory) and it is a major juncture in life so it has to be done memorably, imho.

we were trying to save for a house deposit, which we regarded as a far better use for the money than a flash wedding

Saving for a house is no doubt extremely important but surely a nice wedding is equally imperative as well. After all, you get to do it only once in your life (at least in theory) and it is a major juncture in life so it has to be done memorably, imho.

Sure. But "nice" and "memorable" doesn't necessarily equal "expensive".

We got married in her parents' village in Devon, in a little mediaeval church. The reception was in the skittle alley of the village pub. It was a fine sunny day, the village was en fete for its annual carnival (as I have mentioned in another thread recently), and we had a great time. There's a little picture somewhere in the TV thread funnily enough.

People still talk what a great day it was. We had one week's honeymoon self-catering in North Devon (travelled by bus!), and it was lovely. We didn't have much money, and neither did our parents, but even if we'd been loaded we wouldn't have considered getting married abroad or hiring a big flash venue. Wasn't what we wanted.

We got married in her parents' village in Devon, in a little mediaeval church. The reception was in the skittle alley of the village pub. It was a fine sunny day, the village was en fete for its annual carnival (as I have mentioned in another thread recently), and we had a great time. There's a little picture somewhere in the TV thread funnily enough.

People still talk what a great day it was. We had one week's honeymoon self-catering in North Devon (travelled by bus!), and it was lovely. We didn't have much money, and neither did our parents, but even if we'd been loaded we wouldn't have considered getting married abroad or hiring a big flash venue. Wasn't what we wanted.

Can someone explain to me why my mental image of this is in sepia, and I can hear Dvorak's New World Symphony in my head?

:)

Fair enough, I happen to think the same way actually - I just thought you meant that paying the mortgage takes precedence over a memorable marriage.

On a related point, I find the practice of booking restaurants and hotel ballrooms for weddings that prevails in Singapore incredibly banal. Typical Chinese ostentatiousness and lack of creativity. Yaaaawwwwwnnnn

Can someone explain to me why my mental image of this is in sepia, and I can hear Dvorak's New World Symphony in my head?

:)

Possibly because the little picture I put in the other thread was in B&W. We had both colour and monochrome pictures done, as we actually liked the look of the black and white.

Anybody who "knows" me on Facebook will see a big colour one on my main page.

But yes, it was an "old school" wedding. Quite deliberately.

carvers has gone up in flames in wolvo, 90 firefighters because there are a load of gas bottles, the new student block has been evacuated, will be all over the news tonight

we have a site around the corner, i was there yesterday, there tomorrow, 3 storeys high with an amazing view of it according to our site manager, is it worng that im gutted i missed it

I had a dream about an injured barn owl last night, I felt very frustrated that nobody would help me get it to the vets.

That's quite a common sex dream mate.

The barn owl represents your penis. The injury is symbolism for a limp dick problem. Others not helping, that's your girlfriend's refusal to touch it.

So when ITV use "bitter sweet symphony" on their live football program , who gets the royalties ?

The music was by Jagger and Richards but they are clearly using the Verve version of the song but without the lyrics ( written by Ashcroft it seems )

Just curious / bored

I believe with that song an agreement was made that saw the Stones take a cut of any revenue it generated. I think I'm right in thinking originally the Verve didn't get permission to use the melody and subsequently got forced to pay a royalty to the Stones, I'd figure that situation still runs today.

Had a look on the web and it Seems Alan Klein gets the royalties as he owns the song it was sampled from

I guess Jagger and Richards just get credit ... Unless they are part of Kleins company in some shape or form ?

I had a dream about an injured barn owl last night, I felt very frustrated that nobody would help me get it to the vets.

That's quite a common sex dream mate.

The barn owl represents your penis. The injury is symbolism for a limp dick problem. Others not helping, that's your girlfriend's refusal to touch it.

You think dreaming of barn owls is strange I had a dream that foxes kept on putting a bird I know in a giant hamster ball and pushing her up a tree whilst she was sleeping and when we sat watch to try and catch them I realised thr foxes were twice as big as normal and actually super intelligent and one laughed at me and ran away

Then there was one just the other night when I was getting attacked by loads of winged creatures (thr main bastard being a giant winged horse) so I slapped it on it's nose and called my war donkey (A **** WAR DONKEY) to come and help me and he spat in thr horses face and kicked thr **** out of the other creatures and then I realised I was out of sugar so we went to the shop to buy some

Then there was the one when me and a bird I work with went to a Chinese buffet and a gorilla came rampaging in and threw food all over thr place and kidnapped a Chinese waitress and ran out with her

I actually note all of my dreams down as I have them cuz they are so **** up

An injured barn owl is **** all lol

Had a look on the web and it Seems Alan Klein gets the royalties as he owns the song it was sampled from

I guess Jagger and Richards just get credit ... Unless they are part of Kleins company in some shape or form ?

I think thats right having had a mooch. I knew the Verve basically got screwed on that song, largely because it got too successful once they'd made a slight mistake, but I couldn't remember the exact details.

I knew the Verve basically got screwed on that song, largely because it got too successful once they'd made a slight mistake, but I couldn't remember the exact details.

I'm now well read on this :-)

they paid the necessary people for permission to sample the song , but used more than they were allowed ..or something like that

sounds like they were treated a bit harshly

I knew the Verve basically got screwed on that song, largely because it got too successful once they'd made a slight mistake, but I couldn't remember the exact details.

I'm now well read on this :-)

they paid the necessary people for permission to sample the song , but used more than they were allowed ..or something like that

sounds like they were treated a bit harshly

I agree, it makes the Stones seem like very petty misers. As if they weren't rich enough.

Â