General Chat

Stevo985

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Pre 98 - still valid and not a legal requirement to have a photocard one. 

It is on the list of things I need to sort out though! 

Haven’t you moved house in that time ?

£1000 fine if you don’t notify them of a change of address , which also would result in a photo driving license wouldn’t it ? 

Edited by tonyh29

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Haven’t you moved house in that time ?

£1000 fine if you don’t notify them of a change of address , which also would result in a photo driving license wouldn’t it ? 

Also if you get any parking tickets 

I carry my license for ID. 

If stevo saw my wallet he would be disgusted 

Edited by Demitri_C

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I still have the old paper licence, no photo ID. Passed my test in 1987, haven't moved house since 1997. 

that was quite late ? I passed mine in 1988 and I'm about 16 /17 years ( really wanted to write 30 :) )  younger than you 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

that was quite late ? I passed mine in 1988 and I'm about 16 /17 years ( really wanted to write 30 :) )  younger than you 

Yeah, I was 33. My parents never had a car or learned to drive, so I grew up taking it for granted that I used public transport as a matter of course. Car ownership was for other, more sophisticated people than the likes of me. And I didn't have a job that paid enough for me to consider it affordable until I was 28 (by which time I was more keen to save for a house deposit). It was only the impending birth of a first child that made me start to consider it a necessity rather than a luxury. 

My wife didn't learn until several years later - and, tbh, she still lacks confidence, to the extent that I do 99% of the driving. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

The car was gender politics for us.

My wife came from a non-car household. None of them could drive and she was determined not only to pass the test at the earliest opportunity, but to own the car.

She still has the car in her name to this day, will not be the named driver, takes me along to the showroom to buy the car but makes it clear to the salesbod that he has to sell it to her and she'll be test driving.

She does her fair share of long drives if we're doing the University pick up run, or a weekend in London. She knows how to open the bonnet and could identify most of the big ticket parts on an old fashioned engine (before they just became a big black plastic cover).

But then, she also makes cake.

She's **** awesome my missus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The car was gender politics for us.

My wife came from a non-car household. None of them could drive and she was determined not only to pass the test at the earliest opportunity, but to own the car.

She still has the car in her name to this day, will not be the named driver, takes me along to the showroom to buy the car but makes it clear to the salesbod that he has to sell it to her and she'll be test driving.

She does her fair share of long drives if we're doing the University pick up run, or a weekend in London. She knows how to open the bonnet and could identify most of the big ticket parts on an old fashioned engine (before they just became a big black plastic cover).

But then, she also makes cake.

She's **** awesome my missus.

Mrs H chose herself a Ford Focus a few years back , plenty of room for 2 kids on the school run but a nice size for abandoning across 2 spaces in the school car park

quite a few of the other school mums said to her , I wish my husband would let me choose the car I drive , instead he went out and brought me << insert giant designer SUV to show your neighbours how much better than them you are>>  , which they hate driving .

I was a bit surprised by the use of the word "let me chose" ... I just assumed in the 21st century  that women could have their own opinion and be allowed to make choices ?

my Mrs also makes cake , but whether it's because I'm getting fat or punishment for not getting her a big designer SUV  , she chooses to put things like courgette or carrot in them , knowing that I wont eat them !!

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I was a bit surprised by the use of the word "let me chose" ... I just assumed in the 21st century  that women could have their own opinion and be allowed to make choices ?

They can, if they pay for the car themselves! :)

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That and lemon cakes are possibly the worst cakes you can get! Red velvet all day long!

Red velvet? Typical American food colouring shite. Lemon drizzle is fantastic. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Red velvet? Typical American food colouring shite. Lemon drizzle is fantastic. 

Cant think of anything worse than lemon drizzle

Anything with oreo and peanut butter

Edited by Demitri_C

Â